Fraser guitars

What's Hot
I had seen a fender cs master build thinline Tele in local guitar shop but it was £4500 and a bit out of my price range, so I thought I would get one built somewhere to the same specs. I found Fraser Guitars online and had seen him on social media. 
I arranged a trip down to the workshop to take a look at some of his products, after a 3 hour drive we had a chat, a look around and a play of some of his guitars. I left with a good vibe about the brand so decided to put an order in - thinline Tele , p90s , maple neck with a medium relic paint job. They sent me a price back the next day of £1340 with an alder body (not bad for a supposed hand built guitar) asking me to send some reference pics and the lead time would be 10 weeks. I replied the next day asking for an ash body and for the bridge pick up to not be in the pick guard. The next day I received an email saying thanks for my interest but they where now booked up till March and wishing me good luck in the future. I thought this seemed a little off so I messaged them back and was told that in between the emails going back and forth that they had took on 9 custom build orders so weren’t taking on anymore orders till March and wishing me luck in the future.... So now the really strange part. I waited 3 days then emailed them from a different email address asking about a build, received an email straight back saying no problem and it would be around a ten week wait, so it then became clear to me that he was not fully booked until March and for some reason did not want to take on my order. This was very disappointing and has left a bitter taste about so called custom builds ?? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Maybe they didn’t like you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s true but then why did he accept the order then change the lead time, Well even that In itself isn’t very professional, I have a buisness and we all deal with people we don’t like 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Mmmm... interesting way to conduct business. 
  • Lee123 said:
    That’s true but then why did he accept the order then change the lead time, Well even that In itself isn’t very professional, I have a buisness and we all deal with people we don’t like 
    I was just being facetious. It’s a bit odd though. If they were booked up, why wouldn’t they just run a wait list?
  • Yeah if they were booked up why didn’t he say , but they weren’t booked up till March obviously 
    At least when you ask Scott at screlics he’s upfront how he builds his guitars 
  • Lee123 said:
    Yeah if they were booked up why didn’t he say , but they weren’t booked up till March obviously 
    At least when you ask Scott at screlics he’s upfront how he builds his guitars 
    Always found Scott to be a gent. His work is awesome too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    In my business I use the first client meeting to look at the project but also to suss out the client. More than once when I have been busy and the client seems like they might be difficult to work with or we don't get on I'll use a similar excuse. I'm sure I have made errors in judgement on occasion and there have definitely been clients I wished I'd avoided that I didn't. 

There might have been something you inadvertently said that rang alarm bells for him and he decided to bail. 
  • That maybe so but I’d rather someone be upfront and say the build or job just isn’t for them than use underhand tactics to bail , I have a business as well and have found customers fine if you tell the truth , better than being caught out by clients 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lee123 said:
    That maybe so but I’d rather someone be upfront and say the build or job just isn’t for them than use underhand tactics to bail , I have a business as well and have found customers fine if you tell the truth , better than being caught out by clients 

I've thought long and hard about.

The last client I did tell straight that we were approaching the project from different perspectives and I wouldn't quote on it. He had no idea how to respond.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    My mate bought a Fraser guitar, loved it but did say he was really very odd to deal with and it would put him off buying again :(h
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Yeah very strange way to go on , we thought we had a good meet with the guy and the guitars we saw were ok , why lie about lead times ??? 
  • Fuengi said:
    Lee123 said:
    That maybe so but I’d rather someone be upfront and say the build or job just isn’t for them than use underhand tactics to bail , I have a business as well and have found customers fine if you tell the truth , better than being caught out by clients 

The last client I did tell straight that we were approaching the project from different perspectives and I wouldn't quote on it. He had no idea how to respond.
    Well there you go you told the truth and nothing more was said 
    tFB Trader
    Being honest with a potential customer is free though.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I had a body refinished by him and he was most bizarre to deal with.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Lee123 said:
    Fuengi said:
    Lee123 said:

Well there you go you told the truth and nothing more was said 
    Actually - for reasons too lengthy and detailed to set out here - that unfortunately is not the way it has worked out. I think I'd have been better off with the "sorry, I'm a bit busy" line in that particular instance. 

I don't see it as a lie. Sometimes I'll drop everything for a really well paid job. If I've got plenty on I'm under no obligation to take on other work, especially of it's clearly going to be problematic. Sometimes, if the client clearly needs help and can't afford my fees, I'll do the project for free. It's my decision if I want to work for them or not.  

There are plenty of excellent builders around, many on this forum. I'm sure someone else can help you. 

• Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    edited November 2019
    morning!!!.. i am a proud owner of a Fraser guitar... my experience was a little bit similar, but at the end worked it out.
    back in August 2017 i approached them for a custom built S style they confirmed the delivery between 5 to 7 weeks tops... as i was not entirely sure the colour and specs i decided then i put it off.
    i came back full charge on mid march 2018 for a surf green.. and he regrettably commented that he wont be able to work on a new project until Jun 2018... which would have been a gutter, as my company confirmed a relocation to the States in early June... 
    On 25th April l i contacted them again, asking if there have been any slots, and then confirmed they could build it ASAP if a i place the order.. so i did it...and in 4 weeks i got the guitar with the specs required... Both Dean and his wife Marie were nothing but exceptional and professional during  back and forth email exchange... 

Lee, i understand your frustrations, as the outcome you have received was not as expected in the "managing clients expectation" policy.. . keep in touch with them and check for empty slots... possibly it could work out as it worked with me... you wont regret the type of gear you will get!.  

best

• Maybe that would be the case , but they just did not want to build a thinline , they should have said and I would have ordered something else , let’s just say it’s left a bitter taste in my mouth about small builders , I know it shouldn’t and I would love to give the smaller firms my business but after this maybe not , shame because I thought dean was a nice guy 
    tFB Trader
    Lee123 said:
    Maybe that would be the case , but they just did not want to build a thinline , they should have said and I would have ordered something else , let’s just say it’s left a bitter taste in my mouth about small builders , I know it shouldn’t and I would love to give the smaller firms my business but after this maybe not , shame because I thought dean was a nice guy 
    That is the wrong attitude to have. You cant fault countless others for one mans lies. I would be pretty miffed if you actually believe that the actions of Dean Fraser represent MY business.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They are partscasters, hand built doesn't mean hand crafted , also he's a flat earther so logic isn't in his vocabulary lol
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    They are partscasters, hand built doesn't mean hand crafted , also he's a flat earther so logic isn't in his vocabulary lol
    So you join this morning, and immediately rubbish Fraser Guitars across all three threads which discuss them. Hmmmm …
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.