songs that are trickier to play than you originally thought?

What's Hot
having just recently got my first bass,i have been starting to try and learn a few songs that i love.

now to be fair just about anything will apply to me (as in the thread title) but 2 tracks especially are definitely a lot trickier than i thought they were.

i have to put my hand up and confess that i didn't really hear the bass parts of them until now as i always listen to the whole tune tbh.

the tracks in question for me don't stop believing by journey and talk talk it's my life.

the bass parts are definitely not simple (for me i know there are some great players here lol) especially the talk talk track. both have tricky sections that has taken me a good while to try and get the hang of (both how they sound and actually playing).

i can play the journey one all the way through now (admittedly badly),but the talk talk one is definitely going to take some time to get to grips with for sure.

i do love trying to play along (and am loving the bass i have to say).

what tracks have you found trickier to learn than first thought?
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Everything.

My son had to learn some Smiths tracks on bass for college which I tried to help him with and they were much harder than I'd imagined, some quite big jumps. In my head there were twiddly guitar bits and the basslines went thump thump thump but not so. 
    Anyway, he got there, I think I'd still be working at them. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I once learned Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci. It started out OK, but then I realised I'd bitten off more than I could chew!
    I was glad when I'd finished the public performance
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    The essence of a good song is one that is memorable and seemingly effortless in its execution until you try and analyse it, hence Talk Talk, wonderfully crafted songs and more layers than a good cake :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Pretty much everything. This is why at 56 I can still only play 3 songs.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • trolley said:
    I once learned Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci. It started out OK, but then I realised I'd bitten off more than I could chew!
    Ha - I found exactly the same, except I never finished it. That intro bit does not sound anywhere near as hard is it actually is to play :D
  • trolley said:
    I once learned Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci. It started out OK, but then I realised I'd bitten off more than I could chew!
    Ha - I found exactly the same, except I never finished it. That intro bit does not sound anywhere near as hard is it actually is to play :D 

That was OK-ish, and the main melody's not too bad. But the rest of it.....
    And as I get older I can play less and less of it

• The main riff in Schenker's "Rock Bottom".  

Took me a while and frequent visits to YouTube to first get the actual notes and picking down, then get it up to speed.  

It sounds like a stupid throwaway pentatonic thing but it's not.  My respect for the bloke went up after that.  
  • A lot of chilli peppers tunes. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Lamb of God: Walk With Me In Hell turned out to be more of a handful than expected in places..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm learning a bunch of Elton John songs on piano at the moment.

Elton John is a fucking great piano player- he's really underrated.

Try singing and playing this.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    T Rex, Bang your gong, that song.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.