NBD: Spot The Difference!

What's Hot
DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3753
edited December 2019 in Bass
New bass just arrived in the post. Pictured here next to me old one. Game of spot the difference anyone?! 

https://imgur.com/gallery/rWk1IgV

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The one on the right is broken..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The one on the right has birth defects. Genetic mutation has caused it to sprout an extra string - like a parasitic twin. Then, Ibanez tried to squeeze five of them into the fingerboard width required for four.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627

The one on the right has a superfluous fifth string.

Looks like an SR500 & 505.  I love my 500.  If they'd been around in 1990, along with the light weight Fender rig that the bass player in my band uses, I may never have switched from bass to guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    There's a switch on the new one. Does it turn off the unnecessary part of the pickups under the thumb rest?

I assume that means you're not buying my one then :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Is it the strap?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    There's a switch on the new one. Does it turn off the unnecessary part of the pickups under the thumb rest?
    That switch is either an EQ bypass (for people too lazy to check the PP3 regularly) or a Bartolini-style midrange frequency band selector.
    Be seeing you.
  • Musicwolf said:

The one on the right has a superfluous fifth string.

Looks like an SR500 & 505.  I love my 500.  If they'd been around in 1990, along with the light weight Fender rig that the bass player in my band uses, I may never have switched from bass to guitar.

Correct. I loved the feel and shape of the SR series and was wanting to dabble in the dark arts of 5-strings, so when I saw one come up for sale at a bargain price I couldn't resist. He'd only bought it brand new a couple of months ago but couldn't get used to it, so poor bloke took a massive hit in depreciation, but I'm not complaining!
  • ICBM said:

I assume that means you're not buying my one then :).
    Yeah sorry mate, got lured in by the siren call of eBay I'm afraid. This one was a fair bit cheaper and obviously very much a known quantity so was a bit of no-brainer. GLWTS though. :) 

ICBM said:
    That switch is either an EQ bypass (for people too lazy to check the PP3 regularly) or a Bartolini-style midrange frequency band selector.

Tis the latter. The 4-string one is about 15 years old and they didn't have them in those days. It seems quite a subtle little effect, but never hurts to have more options.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:

Yeah sorry mate, got lured in by the siren call of eBay I'm afraid. This one was a fair bit cheaper and obviously very much a known quantity so was a bit of no-brainer. GLWTS though. :)
    No worries. Shipping it without a case was always going to be a risk, and I didn't really want to buy one just for that.

If it was a fair bit cheaper than mine it was a real bargain too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited December 2019
    Both lovely mate. I have an SR370 fretless and its great. Neck is a little slim for me, but then my go to bass is a Stingray which has a pretty fat neck.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    The 5 will mean you can now play any piano scores without having to octave jump and ruin the direction of the music.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    The one on the right has a switch to turn off the extra string.
    It's not a string. It's just a very long thumb rest.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  prowla said:
    The one on the right has a switch to turn off the extra string.

Could have done with that last night actually - gave it it's debut gig, first time I've used a 5-string in anger. Did get a bit confused by the extra string sometimes in the heat of the moment!