Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Black Friday

What's Hot

Comments

• Ack! the sl4x is very tempting. I sold my Charvel Spectrum a few years back and the Jackson seems to fix a number of things that irritated me about the Spectrum.  I just have too many guitars and need to get shot of a couple first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jhalliday89jhalliday89 Frets: 37
    edited December 2019
    The SL4X arrived today - Haven't plugged it in yet but impressed with the finish APART from the fretboard, which looks like it's covered in glue or some sh**. Anyway I'll sort that out and send Andertons a message....
    This thing is seriously PINK and in need of a good set up, but after an initial play I cannot believe this is the first thin necked flat radius guitar I've played - Where has this been all my life I felt like a better player after about 30 seconds!
    Get some photos up!
    Very bad lighting in the office and on a crappy camera phone but here you go...

https://ibb.co/McRZ7bM

I have to say it sounds amazing, not digging the 9s???? that are on this guitar however, will be getting set up with 11s ASAP. 
    Sounds like a strat in the 2nd and 5th and it absolutely screams in 1st with some drive. I was terrified of the Floyd too but Ive given this thing a few hours of non stop abuse and it barely went out of tune. 
    Fretboard needs a good conditioning and it'll need a further set up when the big strings go on... But for 350 quid I'm absolutely delighted
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice, I like that a lot @jhalliday89 :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• The SL4X arrived today - Haven't plugged it in yet but impressed with the finish APART from the fretboard, which looks like it's covered in glue or some sh**. Anyway I'll sort that out and send Andertons a message....
    This thing is seriously PINK and in need of a good set up, but after an initial play I cannot believe this is the first thin necked flat radius guitar I've played - Where has this been all my life I felt like a better player after about 30 seconds!
    Get some photos up!

I have to say it sounds amazing, not digging the 9s???? that are on this guitar however, will be getting set up with 11s ASAP. 
    Sounds like a strat in the 2nd and 5th and it absolutely screams in 1st with some drive. I was terrified of the Floyd too but Ive given this thing a few hours of non stop abuse and it barely went out of tune. 
    Fretboard needs a good conditioning and it'll need a further set up when the big strings go on... But for 350 quid I'm absolutely delighted
    Not sure I'm so happy with mine.  My fingertips are black after 2 mins of playing, seems to be some weird graphite-type stuff on all the frets, I think the board is ok.

Main problem is the microphony.  I can speak into bridge and middle pickups and hear my voice through the amplifier.  It squeals with microphonic feedback with normal levels of gain.  Very weird.  Not usable.  @skullfunkerry have you tried yours with some gain?  Any signs of microphony?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited December 2019
    The SL4X arrived today - Haven't plugged it in yet but impressed with the finish APART from the fretboard, which looks like it's covered in glue or some sh**. Anyway I'll sort that out and send Andertons a message....
    Get some photos up!

Not sure I'm so happy with mine.  My fingertips are black after 2 mins of playing, seems to be some weird graphite-type stuff on all the frets, I think the board is ok.

Main problem is the microphony.  I can speak into bridge and middle pickups and hear my voice through the amplifier.  It squeals with microphonic feedback with normal levels of gain.  Very weird.  Not usable.  @skullfunkerry have you tried yours with some gain?  Any signs of microphony?

Oh no, that's not good. I use a lot of gain, I haven't noticed that at all... I haven't tried speaking into them though, I must admit!

EDIT: now that I've watched the video, mine definitely isn't like that... 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• The SL4X arrived today - Haven't plugged it in yet but impressed with the finish APART from the fretboard, which looks like it's covered in glue or some sh**. Anyway I'll sort that out and send Andertons a message....
    Get some photos up!

Oh no, that's not good. I use a lot of gain, I haven't noticed that at all... I haven't tried speaking into them though, I must admit!

EDIT: now that I've watched the video, mine definitely isn't like that... 
    Bloody annoying.  Weird that two pickups do the same thing, both the ones that are bolted to the body.  Maybe it needs some foam or something between the body and the pickup but I'm not messing around with it, it's going back.  Shame.

What was the glue-type stuff on the fretboard?  As per the video, my fingers were black after two minutes of playing, another weird thing that I've never known before.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited December 2019
    @Modellista I've just had a play with mine, I'm not running much volume and I'm going through my interface and monitors rather than the Katana speaker but I definitely can't talk into my pickups. There is quite a lot of noise from things like the pickup selector switch; possibly a bit more than my other guitars (PRS SE Holcomb and my Performance, which has EMGs), but I'd just put that down to the body feeling lighter and more resonant - for instance, in one of my riffs, there's a muted chord with a pause after it: on the Jackson you can hear things ringing through the amp; I assumed it was the strings behind the nut or the trem springs, so I didn't really pay it much attention.

Shame you're so far away; it would be interesting to get them together and compare them...

• @Modellista I've just had a play with mine, I'm not running much volume and I'm going through my interface and monitors rather than the Katana speaker but I definitely can't talk into my pickups. There is quite a lot of noise from things like the pickup selector switch; possibly a bit more than my other guitars (PRS SE Holcomb and my Performance, which has EMGs), but I'd just put that down to the body feeling lighter and more resonant - for instance, in one of my riffs, there's a muted chord with a pause after it: on the Jackson you can hear things ringing through the amp; I assumed it was the strings behind the nut or the trem springs, so I didn't really pay it much attention.

Shame you're so far away; it would be interesting to get them together and compare them...
    Will be interesting to hear what you think after you've had a chance to wind up the gain with volume.  It does sound like you’ve got some signs of microphony if it’s picking up the sound of the switch moving. Don’t want to take the shine off your purchase though, hope it does turn out to be ok!

• It honestly looks like glue and it's gotten in to the board at some points, just white glue residue which is really disappointing.
    I will try at high gain and volume tomorrow and see if I'm getting the same issues, I'll be really disappointed if so. Serves me right for being a black Friday slug 
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    @Modellista, i like your video. 
    Thanks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Modellista I've just had a play with mine, I'm not running much volume and I'm going through my interface and monitors rather than the Katana speaker but I definitely can't talk into my pickups. There is quite a lot of noise from things like the pickup selector switch; possibly a bit more than my other guitars (PRS SE Holcomb and my Performance, which has EMGs), but I'd just put that down to the body feeling lighter and more resonant - for instance, in one of my riffs, there's a muted chord with a pause after it: on the Jackson you can hear things ringing through the amp; I assumed it was the strings behind the nut or the trem springs, so I didn't really pay it much attention.

Will be interesting to hear what you think after you've had a chance to wind up the gain with volume.  It does sound like you’ve got some signs of microphony if it’s picking up the sound of the switch moving. Don’t want to take the shine off your purchase though, hope it does turn out to be ok!

Had a play this evening, just through the amp. Decent volume, loads of gain: I couldn't get it to do the microphonic feedback yours was, and talking into the pickups didn't work at all. Knocking on the body or using the pickup selector switch did come through though.

I did notice that I got the noises no matter which pickup I was on: the two hot rails are screwed directly to the body and the humbucker is in a mounting ring. Didn't seem to make any difference. I tried it with my PRS (with Seymour Duncan Alpha & Omega pickups) afterwards and you can still hear noises through the amp, but not as clearly.

I wonder what the pickups makers think about this? Paging @OilCityPickups or @Alegree - any thoughts on this, chaps?

Overall I'm still happy with my guitar: it's really nice to play, the neck is great (and doesn't make my fingers go black); I think it would look cool with white pickups so if these are doing things they're not supposed to then I've got an excuse to swap them out! It's past the cutoff for returning now and I've binned the box it came in anyway, so that's not an option

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    @Modellista I've just had a play with mine, I'm not running much volume and I'm going through my interface and monitors rather than the Katana speaker but I definitely can't talk into my pickups. There is quite a lot of noise from things like the pickup selector switch; possibly a bit more than my other guitars (PRS SE Holcomb and my Performance, which has EMGs), but I'd just put that down to the body feeling lighter and more resonant - for instance, in one of my riffs, there's a muted chord with a pause after it: on the Jackson you can hear things ringing through the amp; I assumed it was the strings behind the nut or the trem springs, so I didn't really pay it much attention.

Had a play this evening, just through the amp. Decent volume, loads of gain: I couldn't get it to do the microphonic feedback yours was, and talking into the pickups didn't work at all. Knocking on the body or using the pickup selector switch did come through though.

I did notice that I got the noises no matter which pickup I was on: the two hot rails are screwed directly to the body and the humbucker is in a mounting ring. Didn't seem to make any difference. I tried it with my PRS (with Seymour Duncan Alpha & Omega pickups) afterwards and you can still hear noises through the amp, but not as clearly.

I wonder what the pickups makers think about this? Paging @OilCityPickups or @Alegree - any thoughts on this, chaps?

Overall I'm still happy with my guitar: it's really nice to play, the neck is great (and doesn't make my fingers go black); I think it would look cool with white pickups so if these are doing things they're not supposed to then I've got an excuse to swap them out! It's past the cutoff for returning now and I've binned the box it came in anyway, so that's not an option
    I'm not sure what the problem is. If you're knocking your guitar your strings are moving relative to the guitar body. As far as a pickup is concerned that's the same as moving the strings normally. Unless there's something more than a faint noise.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Alegree said:

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you're knocking your guitar your strings are moving relative to the guitar body. As far as a pickup is concerned that's the same as moving the strings normally. Unless there's something more than a faint noise.
    I'm actually hearing the noise of the knock or the switch through the amp, even if the strings are damped. It does it on all my guitars, but it's definitely worse on the Jackson (which is the cheapest of my guitars). With @Modellista's guitar, he can actually speak into the pickups and hear it come out of the amp

tFB Trader
    Damping the strings isn't going to help. It's the body moving that's causing it. If the body is light then any force is going to move it significantly more than a heavier one subjected to the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Alegree said:
    Damping the strings isn't going to help. It's the body moving that's causing it. If the body is light then any force is going to move it significantly more than a heavier one subjected to the same.
    It is a very light body, that must be it. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it feels very light & resonant...

tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    It is a very light body, that must be it. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it feels very light & resonant...
    You'll want to decouple the pickups from the body's vibrations as much as possible, some soft foam underneath ought to help
  • @Alegree did you have a look at the video further up the page? What do you think about the feedback?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    From the video that's very microphonic! Foam under the pickups will help, but the screw heads and shafts need isolated too, or they will transfer part of the vibration. A silicone washer under each screw head, and possibly making sure the screw shafts aren't tight in the pickup base-plates would also be on my hit list. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• From the video that's very microphonic! Foam under the pickups will help, but the screw heads and shafts need isolated too, or they will transfer part of the vibration. A silicone washer under each screw head, and possibly making sure the screw shafts aren't tight in the pickup base-plates would also be on my hit list. 
    Appreciate the advice. Do you think the pickups could be inherently faulty? I guess I could loosen off the pickups and see if the problem persists. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Have you spoken to Andertons yet about this @Modellista ? They're likely to sort you out with a replacement as I don't think you should have to do this much faff on a new guitar.