Why don't I like my LP bridge pickup?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    p90fool said:
    Although I play a radically different style to the OP, I too find maple topped Les Pauls quite finicky about bridge pickups.

A simple slab of mahogany seems a doddle in comparison, almost anything goes. 
    Not in my case lol. My guitar is made of mahogany!
    Well that's easy then, just bung a low wind P90 in it!
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    Although I play a radically different style to the OP, I too find maple topped Les Pauls quite finicky about bridge pickups.

A simple slab of mahogany seems a doddle in comparison, almost anything goes. 
    Not in my case lol. My guitar is made of mahogany!
    Well that's easy then, just bung a low wind P90 in it!
    ;)
    Lol not enough balls for me.

Just had another go with the tubescreamer and although it tightens it up a little its still too hairy, the lows could be tighter and lacks that "upper mid spank" that the JB gives me in the Strat. I also feel it doesn't cut through enough.
  • Was playing my Strat earlier trying to drop down as low as A! I think cos I use pretty thick strings on the Les Paul (12-56) there's a risk it could sound flubby as Marshall's are not known to have a tight bottom end even with a tubescreamer.

Been looking at the Seymour Duncan Nazgul as well, I prefer that over the Black Winter anyway but just want something that will have that upper mid cut.
  • Was playing my Strat earlier trying to drop down as low as A! I think cos I use pretty thick strings on the Les Paul (12-56) there's a risk it could sound flubby as Marshall's are not known to have a tight bottom end even with a tubescreamer.

Been looking at the Seymour Duncan Nazgul as well, I prefer that over the Black Winter anyway but just want something that will have that upper mid cut.
    You should look at getting a baritone guitar of some sort.

I have a modded Squire Baritone (Jazzmaster) with a Mastery bridge, Duesenberg Tremola, Sustainiac pickup in the neck and and a humbucker from Fletcher Guitars. For low end/heavier stuff it holds together wonderfully. 

Your issue with a lack of a tight bottom end is probably down to such extreme detuning. Because the lower strings in particular are so loose there would be a total lack of definition as to what note the string was even playing at a given time.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited December 2019
    Was playing my Strat earlier trying to drop down as low as A! I think cos I use pretty thick strings on the Les Paul (12-56) there's a risk it could sound flubby as Marshall's are not known to have a tight bottom end even with a tubescreamer.

You should look at getting a baritone guitar of some sort.

I have a modded Squire Baritone (Jazzmaster) with a Mastery bridge, Duesenberg Tremola, Sustainiac pickup in the neck and and a humbucker from Fletcher Guitars. For low end/heavier stuff it holds together wonderfully. 

Your issue with a lack of a tight bottom end is probably down to such extreme detuning. Because the lower strings in particular are so loose there would be a total lack of definition as to what note the string was even playing at a given time.
    Hmm...a new guitar....any excuse eh haha. 

I don't play it lower than B most of the time so it depends if its classed as "extreme" enough. Mind you the Strat has 10's and isn't a drop tuned guitar, I was only giving it a go with the JB humbucker to see what it sounded like. I actually tuned to drop d on the guitar and used the Digitech drop tune to lower the pitch. So it could have been the effect of the pedal making it flubby.
  • You should look at getting a baritone guitar of some sort.

I don't play it lower than B most of the time so it depends if its classed as "extreme" enough. Mind you the Strat has 10's and isn't a drop tuned guitar, I was only giving it a go with the JB humbucker to see what it sounded like. I actually tuned to drop d on the guitar and used the Digitech drop tune to lower the pitch. So it could have been the effect of the pedal making it flubby.
    Detuning like that, I suspect that you would struggle to get a "tight" sound out of any pickup. I would tune up to standard tuning and see what the pickup you have sounds like then. If it is still lacking somehow then you can investigate changing it, but if isn't then you really should look at a baritone. The Squier model is very affordable. At least give one a spin, I think you might find it closer to what you are looking for.
  • You should look at getting a baritone guitar of some sort.

Detuning like that, I suspect that you would struggle to get a "tight" sound out of any pickup. I would tune up to standard tuning and see what the pickup you have sounds like then. If it is still lacking somehow then you can investigate changing it, but if isn't then you really should look at a baritone. The Squier model is very affordable. At least give one a spin, I think you might find it closer to what you are looking for.
    I can’t tune this any higher than C as the strings are so thick it might warp the neck! The JB is in the Strat and the pickup I’m changing is in my Les Paul. When the BKP Aftermath was in I liked it more than what I have now.

I am am willing to give other pickup choices a go first before considering a baritone.

You just want me to get a new guitar don’t you haha.

• You just want me to get a new guitar don’t you haha.
    I just want you to acknowledge the inevitable. You're fooling nobody. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tune to drop C and I don't have any issues with 25.5" scale length, everything sounds pretty tight to me :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited December 2019
    I tune to drop C and I don't have any issues with 25.5" scale length, everything sounds pretty tight to me
    Yeah I would prefer not to have to resort into getting a baritone lol
  • I tune to drop C and I don't have any issues with 25.5" scale length, everything sounds pretty tight to me :)
    You, sir, also need a baritone. Going to rehearsal and putting a capo on to get your guitar to the same tuning as your mate’s severely drop tuned regular scale guitar. The ultimate mindf**k
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have decided to go back to the BKP Aftermath, and see if it'll bring me the sound I want again, I'm hoping it will but until we get it in the guitar and chugging out the amp we won't know!

I have a positive feeling I will though.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, at least I have a few other options should the original plan not work out.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Mastodon go down to drop A with Gibson scale lengths, it must just be in the strings.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    I have decided to go back to the BKP Aftermath, and see if it'll bring me the sound I want again, I'm hoping it will but until we get it in the guitar and chugging out the amp we won't know!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, at least I have a few other options should the original plan not work out.
    Sounds like the best first step. Let us know how you get on!

TTBZ said:
    Mastodon go down to drop A with Gibson scale lengths, it must just be in the strings.

Yes, but it's hardly a "tight"/aggressive sound - different application. You can hear that the string is looser than it would be on a longer scale, and that's part of the sound. Ditto Amon Amarth.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    timmypix said:
    I have decided to go back to the BKP Aftermath, and see if it'll bring me the sound I want again, I'm hoping it will but until we get it in the guitar and chugging out the amp we won't know!

Sounds like the best first step. Let us know how you get on!
    Yep will defo update you all! I'm really hoping when I get it in and play it there'll be that "ahhh there it is!" type moment haha.

I'm basing my decision and choice due to the fact it did what I want before, also the guitarist in A Day To Remember uses it in his signature ESP's, same playing style and tunings. If it works well for him why can't it work for me!

The TS9 is crucial to both our setups in tightening up that flubby low end you can get with tube amps.
    edited December 2019
    Right, Aftermath in and also the tone pot has been reconnected.

Haven't had too long to really play it but already there's a significant improvement. Highs aren't as shrilly or "ice-picky" and lows are tighter. Much tighter. Those chunky "chocks" on palm mutes are back and single note riffs/chords sound clear.

Less fizz, more tightness and more of a generic saturated metalcore tone!

Only amp I've tried it through at the moment is the DSL5 and sometimes I have the deep switch pushed in, but anything lower than drop c and I don't push it in as it gets rather flubby. The TS9 does a great job of tightening it up though. Lowest I went down to was drop A# and it holds clarity pretty well.

Next to try is my 6505+ and some digital amps (my friend has a Kemper) to really test what this pickup is like.

So on the whole its BETTER than what I had with the Nailbomb, a whole lot better.

Other factors like hardware/pot changes could enhance the sound, or possibly an EQ pedal.

I just hope I haven't pushed away the option to get a Juggernaut in there although they would probably sound in the same ballpark.

I will go with it for a bit and try it through different amps, but early indications are I like it!