Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sheeran Guitars - by Lowden NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Well ... well ... well .... I get a call out of the blue from GG today..... to tell me that the S3 I 'ordered' back in April has finally landed. So as luck would have it, today I'm a quick hop away from GG, so dropped in to give it the once over ..... and my initial thoughts are ...

• Very very well made ... not a blemish anywhere
    • Intonation is spot on, with perfect relief to the neck
    • Sound projection is very good, both for the player, and for an audience
    • Great balance between highs, mids and lows
    • Played through an acoustic amp it brings out a wonderful depth in tone
    • Size-wise perfect ...
    • ... a smidge larger than a Taylor GS-Mini, and ...
    • ... a smidge smaller than a Taylor 317e/Taylor 322ce
    • Comfortable to play, and good enough it shows up my flawed playing

It's not mine just yet for a couple of reasons, so can't report a NGD.

Encouraging, or what!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    fandango said:
    Well ... well ... well .... I get a call out of the blue from GG today..... to tell me that the S3 I 'ordered' back in April has finally landed. So as luck would have it, today I'm a quick hop away from GG, so dropped in to give it the once over ..... and my initial thoughts are ...

• Size-wise perfect ...

Encouraging, or what!!

ooh...
    did it have an oiled finish?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    fandango said:

• Size-wise perfect ...

Encouraging, or what!!

Sounds good! I'm really torn on ordering one but at this rate I'll be waiting until 2021!!
    fandango said:

• Size-wise perfect ...

Encouraging, or what!!

ooh...
    did it have an oiled finish?
    It feels likely to be a very well executed satin finish.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I think we will only hear great reviews about these - either because they are great and deserve it, or because they are not and everyone had to buy unseen and will want to sell them on at a decent return. 

Hopefully they can ramp up production and get the distribution wider than their more expensive stuff. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I think we will only hear great reviews about these - either because they are great and deserve it, or because they are not and everyone had to buy unseen and will want to sell them on at a decent return. 

Hopefully they can ramp up production and get the distribution wider than their more expensive stuff. 
    Order unseen - yes.

Buy unseen - no. 

Everyone collecting from a shop has the opportunity to walk away and get deposit back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I've just been told by Project Music (Exeter) that the W01 I pre-ordered at the end of October arrived today out of the blue!
    GTC said:
    I've just been told by Project Music (Exeter) that the W01 I pre-ordered at the end of October arrived today out of the blue!
    It should be delivered tomorrow. I went for this base model as, not having electronics or the body camber, it should be more suitable for a lefty conversion. I'll provide an update when I get time - warts and all.
  • GTC said:
    GTC said:
    It should be delivered tomorrow. I went for this base model as, not having electronics or the body camber, it should be more suitable for a lefty conversion. I'll provide an update when I get time - warts and all.
    I take it there are going to be no left handed options on any of these models?
    I take it there are going to be no left handed options on any of these models?
    I asked this question and was told (over a year ago) there might be sometime after the initial launch but there were no definite plans. I guess they are gauging reaction to the right-handed models first.
    It arrived this afternoon - looks good but too tired to do anything with it today after the General Election last night.

Strange thing was that the DPD driver asked me if it was a guitar - and said that on an earlier delivery of another guitar to a neighbouring village he was asked if he also had a guitar for me (referring to me and my village by name). Weird!
  • I'm curious....are you doing a full or partial conversion? And if you don't like it do you pass it on  as a right or leftie?
    I'm curious....are you doing a full or partial conversion? And if you don't like it do you pass it on  as a right or leftie?
    To start off with I'll just change the strings round and if I don't like it I'll probably sell it on. If I do like it then I'll get my luthier friend to cut a new left handed nut and fill the existing ebony saddle slot and cut a new correctly angled one. I'll also put in left -handed fretboard board side markers. This will commit it to being a lefty. If I was then to sell it on it would be sold as a lefty but I would, of course, point out it had been converted.
    sounds like one might be in stock here:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274145795644?ul_noapp=true

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Project now have them. The floodgates are open 
    Andy79 said:
    Project now have them. The floodgates are open 
    Sooner rather than later for you then?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Maybe. Certainly going to trip out and try them
    Andy79 said:
    Maybe. Certainly going to trip out and try them
    Good luck - it will be interesting to hear what you think of the other models 
    edited April 2021
    I finally found some Sheerans in a shop today, I tried 3

tbh I'm not impressed, they all sounded very boxy. OOTB setup was pretty awful, but that's just playability issue that can be resolved, although they had a very high action even for new guitars.

I compared with some Lowden S models in the shop, which were light years away in tone. My Avalon S size at home is up another level from the Lowdens

I'd say the blueridge acoustics I've played sounded better than the Sheerans

I was hoping/expecting that the (albeit CNC-based) production lines being in the UK would be producing guitars closer to the Lowden/Avalon benchmark, with the shortcuts being cosmetic.  i.e. real competition for Korea, Indonesia

I had thought that the lack of (human time consuming)  adaptation to the individual pieces of wood in each guitar might be a tough obstacle, but assumed that Lowden had found a way to mitigate this.

I wouldn't want to be playing one of these unplugged, I guess it would be OK on stage.

Is the name on the headstock going to help or hinder sales? I usually avoid signature models, am I alone in that?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    I ordered one last Summer from Guitar Village and the bridge was lifting off so back it went. Sounded okay, but better guitars are around for the same money.