What should be in a showreel video?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Lebarque said:
    Great work, @fastonebaz. I think it looks great I didn't notice the lack of crowd at all. Nice touch the singer changing costumes for variety and to appear like different gigs to the untrained eye. Sounds good and the filming is great. I'm not sure if you want suggestions, but here's my two penneth FWIW.

I would order the songs in terms of popularity ie. Pink's biggest hit / most well-known first then second etc. I've never heard the second song on  there.

The vocals in the first song are not 'quite' as good as some of the others IMO, but the first song is the most important to the listener. People have short attention spans, so might only watch the first 30 seconds, so you've got to hit them hard with the hits and the most impressive singing first. I can understand you choosing to put that outfit first though!

In this day and age, most people will watch this video on their phones. The text and labels need to be bigger and clearer for that format, especially your 'call to action' which is your Facebook page. Is this where you want people to go to contact you? Maybe make the text white, as the background is predominantly dark throughout the video. Maybe have it extra large at the end too.

But that's all fine-tuning and feel free to ignore my blathering. Like someone said above, it does a great job at showing you off as a professional, talented, entertaining band. Job done.
    That’s a brilliant constructive review , never hurts to fine tune, I only know , let’s get this party started. It’s not stuff I would listen to normally but seeing this video and how it rocks I’d defo go and watch them if they were on near me  on the strength of the sheer rocking ness 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent feedback thanks all.  Making some tweaks to the showreel now incorporating some suggestions.  Passed on all the favourable comments cheers.  :)
  • Tweaked the text and logo and a couple other minor bits.  Cheers all.

• Lebarque said:

The vocals in the first song are not 'quite' as good as some of the others IMO, but the first song is the most important to the listener. People have short attention spans, so might only watch the first 30 seconds, so you've got to hit them hard with the hits and the most impressive singing first. I can understand you choosing to put that outfit first though!

I'd agree with that - it's not 'bad' at all, just not *quite* as good as the rest vocally, and I noticed that before reading through the comments. It's my favourite Pink song - I think it went to no.1 too - so I can understand why it's first up. It's still more than acceptable though and she's a very good vocalist...just nitpicking. 

Otherwise looks and sounds really good. Quite a few people I know have done similar and it's definitely in the right ball-park. Songs and musicianship all of a high standard, and it looks like you're all really into it too. 
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Tweaked the text and logo and a couple other minor bits.  Cheers all.

Make it shorter. You only need two minutes. Lose the first song.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The real question is... Are you overdriving your acoustic guitar at 1:20?? Sounds great.