Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your musical discovery of 2019

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
edited December 2019 in Music
What one band/artist/album/song/whatever did you hear for the first time this year that really grabbed you?

I'll kick off with the French-Canadian band Corridor.  They're on Sub Pop and released their third album, Junior, a little earlier this year.  They have instantly become my favorite new band of the last five years.  Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but if you like clean post-punk influenced stuff with a definite Krautrock/Stereolab vibe, you'll love them.   

Here's Domino...

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattWMattW Frets: 80
    edited December 2019
    Big Thief.  The first couple of albums had passed me by but I picked up UFOF on its release in May off the back of a glowing review on Pitchfork and it was at the top of my playlist through the summer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUR-Ad8QcmA

In October they released another album Two Hands which, unless something amazing comes out in the next few weeks, is my candidate for album of the year. With UFOF being my second favourite it’s a hell of a showing for a band I’d never heard of until May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcVwH47uxQ

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The Bevis Frond. I'd been aware of the name for many years but wrongly assumed that they were a prog band and therefore rubbish. I finally got to hear them when they were on a Spotify, things you might like, playlist back in July and they have become my favourite band. I've been catching up on their 23 LPs ever since. Mostly double albums which make up an astonishing body of work for what has been,  for the most part, a DIY project. I went to see them in September and they didn't disappoint.

Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe the new discovery that made the biggest impact on me was The Delines - two albums, Colfax and The Imperial.  I'm not normally a big country fan, but really enjoyed their somewhat retro blues-tinged country soul.  Great singing, great melodies, really wonderful lyrics, moving little short stories in themselves, and sparse arrangements with Fendery sounding guitars and acoustic piano.  If that even remotely sounds like your thing, check them out.  (Sorry no idea how to link stuff).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 843
    Eli Winter. Great acoustic guitarist in the American Primitive style of John Fahey, Robbie Basho and more modern day players like William Tyler and Steve Gunn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb2aNdWTBHE&list=PLDqX_aEzGvc_yb_RsgVAOxrz63NFLd0CV&index=1
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    Well, the first time I really explored him- Brian Setzer.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited December 2019
    Grace Carter. She was the one artist that interested me on the BBC's Longlist of Up and Coming Artists for 2019. Saw her do a really good gig in a tiny club in Glasgow back in March, and I'm going to see her again in March 2020 in a larger venue in Glasgow. The weekend, when I saw Grace Carter, was the best musically for me this year, as I'd seen Sharon Van Etten for the first time in Manchester a couple of days earlier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some of the most creative guitar playing I've heard in a very long time.

• Billie Elish is alright
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 392

Discovered The Chameleons this summer through another discussion on here, amazing album, been buying the remastered vinyl for friend's birthdays. 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• Holly Herndon. Mad stuff.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Squid. Intelligent post punk with trumpet and occasional cowbell.  They have a brilliant drummer who sings. 

Hannah Cohen. Welcome Home is a delightful slice of dreamy indie pop with fantastic production, great vocals and lyrics. 
  • Disillusion. They were well known and lauded when their last album hit. And I'd not noticed them first time around. But the new album The Liberation is my album of the year and I'm so glad to have discovered them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8KyYEOOypo

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714

Green Lung.  Probably 2018 really, but they released their first album this year.

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Beak

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    @Blueingreen Checked out the Delines...I like! There is a good session from them on KEXP
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    MattW said:
    Big Thief.  The first couple of albums had passed me by but I picked up UFOF on its release in May off the back of a glowing review on Pitchfork and it was at the top of my playlist through the summer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUR-Ad8QcmA

In October they released another album Two Hands which, unless something amazing comes out in the next few weeks, is my candidate for album of the year. With UFOF being my second favourite it’s a hell of a showing for a band I’d never heard of until May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcVwH47uxQ

Not heard of them before, but like those tracks, must check more, thanks...
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2019
    Needlepoint and Aimless Mary. Not new for 2019 (from 2015), but I only discovered them this summer when listening late night to Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone trying to chill myself out whilst recovering from open heart surgery - rather appropriately the track 'Fear'. Described as Prog, but I would say more a funky psych, jazz, rock thing.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Probably a bit mainstream for you intellectual muso types, but I was introduced to this crew through this very forum, and it was the soundtrack to my summer.

Laydeez and Djentlemen, I give you: The Interrupters

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited December 2019
    Big Thief have been a great one for me to, but funnily enough my discovery of the year is also form Montreal, as was the OP’s selection. Bodywash’s album, Comforter, has given me my fix of dream pop/shoegaze this year. Check this out, when they get in their stride, sublime guitar, synth and vocal melodies 

https://youtu.be/snms2GUNfww
  • Lodious said:
    @Blueingreen Checked out the Delines...I like! There is a good session from them on KEXP
    Glad you like them.  Good friend who doesn't play but has an absolutely colossal music collection recommended them to me.  They've obviously done some new stuff since I was listening to them a lot earlier in the year, must check it out.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”