Fender Player Precisions

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6256

Anyone got any thoughts on these? they look v cool, especially the white one.

Thinking about one for my daughter

cheers all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23925
    It's a P bass. Can't really go wrong.
    Might get a used MIM cheaper though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • diapdiap Frets: 135
    If your daughter is new to bass or smaller/younger a Fender Mustang might be a better bet as it's shorter scale so easier to play and a bit lighter. They do it in Sonic Blue too! That said, if she can handle it, you can't go wrong with a Mex Precision IMHO.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    It's a P bass. Can't really go wrong.
    Might get a used MIM cheaper though.
    What he said. 

In the longer term, it might be desirable to upgrade the pickup, pots and bridge.

My nearest Fender dealership currently has one of the Player series in Buttercream with a maple neck and a Vintera Fifties style finished in anachronistic Seafoam Green. IMO, the Vintera sounds better and is nicer to play. With a single-ply white scratchplate, I could probably forgive it.

If cost is an issue, consider the Squier Vintage Modified and recent Classic Vibe models. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Snap said:

cheers all.

Are you sure this is for your daughter .... :-)   
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Hofner violin bass.  Cheap from Thomann, light weight and a good thump from it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    JMP220478 said:
    Snap said:

cheers all.

Are you sure this is for your daughter .... :-)   

ha ha!!! You know, I keep reminding myself this, well funny.

I am looking at the player in white, maple neck, under 600 quid. Bang tidy.

No, she's not new to bass, she's been playing for a couple of years, and unbiased opinion, she's got it, just a natural. Upto ow she's been using my old Bass Collection, which is a neat bass, but I want to get her something that bit better, and she's into the P bass thing. In a couple of bands, looking to go and so a degree in it eventually so, I think it's due.

P bass - no messing, cool as, last a lifetime, etc etc.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of them. Cheers!

J

• RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    If she is determined to get a Precision, get a good one now.  It is a lifetime 'cost' that will repay many times over.  Do what I did: get a USA Fender Precision.  My bass cost twice what a Mex built instrument cost and while it is not twice as good, it is significantly better.  Better as in the quality of the notes and the 'feel' of the instrument.  Better too as there is no wondering if I should have bought the USA built instrument when I got my final bass.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy the better bass.  In ten years time you will have forgotten how much it cost so get the best bass you can get.  Now.  Not in two years time.  Now.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Wiz awarded to Rocker.

Walking into a work situation, carrying a US Fender Precision Bass sends a message. Some musical directors and arrangers will be pleased. They immediately know that the bass guitar tone will sit in the mix of anything from a trio to a big band. Others may think "boring". Sometimes, they will be right. Most of the time, however, a P Bass with flatwound strings is the reference sound that people have in their heads. It will always find a use.
    Be seeing you.

I'm not buying a US one. That's too extravagant right now. She's not done GCSEs yet, so there is plenty of time for a full blooded splurge.

Flatwounds is a good call - I have D'Addario Chromes on my Stingray and they sound and play spot on.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited December 2019
    It's not a Fender but the squier classic vibe looks so good.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Oof that really does look good, I already liked that model but I didn't know the finish looked as translucent as that!
    I got the player series in Polar White, looks great, plays great. I'd quite like it myself!
    Branshen said:
    Those generic (Gotoh 201B copy) heavy duty bridges look anachronistic. Eventually, the string anchoring section bends upwards under the string load. An Oil City "Bridgehouse" pickup could be interesting.

Be seeing you.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited December 2019
    Snap said:

I'm not buying a US one. That's too extravagant right now. She's not done GCSEs yet, so there is plenty of time for a full blooded splurge.

Flatwounds is a good call - I have D'Addario Chromes on my Stingray and they sound and play spot on.

Slightly too angry-sounding post edited.

I'm not sure why everyone here seems so obsessed with flats. If someone wants to play rock, punk, alternative music etc then they really aren't suitable, and I highly doubt that a teenager, albeit one that you know vastly better than I, is likely to appreciate or prefer flats over rounds, unless they have some sort of weird obsession with The Beatles or jazz.

@MattBansee I thought exactly that until I got a Stingray that already had Chromes (flats) on them - they feel great, but have all the bite of rounds. Nice and bright, and balance very well with the natural attack of the Stingray. A real surprise

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Snap said:

Slightly too angry-sounding post edited.

I'm not sure why everyone here seems so obsessed with flats. If someone wants to play rock, punk, alternative music etc then they really aren't suitable, and I highly doubt that a teenager, albeit one that you know vastly better than I, is likely to appreciate or prefer flats over rounds, unless they have some sort of weird obsession with The Beatles or jazz.
    Never knew Iron Maiden were jazz
    I'm not sure why everyone here seems so obsessed with flats.
    Flatwounds on a Precision is a reference sound - possibly, THE reference sound. It appears on a lot famous recordings, in pretty much every music genre.

So, not obsessed, just accepting that resistance is futile. 

thegummy said:
    Iron Maiden
    Not a fan of Maiden but I can appreciate that Mr. Harries is an object lesson in how to hold down the bottom end of a Rock band. (Try playing his bass lines for fifteen minutes, never mind a full show!)

thegummy said:
    jazz
    On the original deep, wide P neck, huge flatwound strings and a highish action would have felt more "normal" to an upright player. 

Be seeing you.
    Well I got the Player Precision. It's a cracker. Lovely to play, great tone, very versatile. Would recommend with no hesitation.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 413
    Snap said:
    Well I got the Player Precision. It's a cracker. Lovely to play, great tone, very versatile. Would recommend with no hesitation.
    Did your daughter like it?