Sub-£1k bass for recording - for a guitar player (i.e. smaller neck/scale)

What's Hot
Hello all,

I'm a guitarist but want to record bass.  Any recommendations on a neater bass for a guitar player?  I play guitars on the fatter side (PRS wide fat, etc.), well, certainly not super slim.

Thoughts welcome.  Much cheaper also works - and secondhand, if you're in/near/can post to Cumbria.

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    There are quite a few worthy candidates in the Basses £ section of this very forum. (DISCLAIMER: A few of them might be mine.)

Do you desire a bass guitar with a distinctive/recognisable character - Precision, Jazz, Stingray, Höfner, RIC 400n - or something that can blend in with whatever music you are making on the day?

Be seeing you.
  • There are quite a few worthy candidates in the Basses £ section of this very forum. (DISCLAIMER: A few of them might be mine.)

Do you desire a bass guitar with a distinctive/recognisable character - Precision, Jazz, Stingray, Höfner, RIC 400n - or something that can blend in with whatever music you are making on the day?

@Funkfingers I think something versatile. I love playing thrash but also acoustic and light stuff. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I have this for sale over in Tyne and Wear, so not too far from Cumbria... 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/169123/fs-ibanez-sr500-325-ono#latest

It's not short scale, but has a nice slim neck, super easy to play. I transferred straight from guitar to this as a newbie no bother. Very versatile bass, currently has chrome flats on it but could easily handle the heavier stuff if you stuck some roundwounds onto it. Let me know if interested.  :)
  • I have this for sale over in Tyne and Wear, so not too far from Cumbria... 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/169123/fs-ibanez-sr500-325-ono#latest

It's not short scale, but has a nice slim neck, super easy to play. I transferred straight from guitar to this as a newbie no bother. Very versatile bass, currently has chrome flats on it but could easily handle the heavier stuff if you stuck some roundwounds onto it. Let me know if interested.  :)
    Bit too far for me.  Thanks though!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Keep a lookout for a  s/h Yamaha BEX4- semi acoustic, great blend with a piezo & pickup
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2019
    Have a look here too if you want to fish in a bigger pond. They are a great bunch of lads and very helpful .. a bit like this place 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    One plays a bass completely differently to they play a guitar so I don't know that having the bass be closer in size to a guitar would necessarily be an advantage as you won't be using your guitar playing skills on it anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    thegummy said:
    One plays a bass completely differently to they play a guitar so I don't know that having the bass be closer in size to a guitar would necessarily be an advantage as you won't be using your guitar playing skills on it anyway.
    I didn't want to say it, but everybody's first bass should be a P-bass, as it's the grandaddy of all bass guitars  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited December 2019
    thegummy said:
    Which guitar playing skills are these? 

I would like comfort. I don’t want a neck which feels relatively like a tree trunk.

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited December 2019
    thegummy said:
    Which guitar playing skills are these? 

I would like comfort. I don’t want a neck which feels relatively like a tree trunk.
    Any bog standard 4-string bass would be comfortable to play. I had no problems moving between my Tele & Les Paul to the P-bass. In fact, the bass is now my favourite guitar to play. Try a few out first though..
    I'm a guitarist but want to record bass. 
    To what standard?

For basic home demonstration recordings, you might get away with playing guitar through an octaver effect pedal or DAW processor. The sound and transient attack will be a bit fake but the gist of the idea will come across.

For anything more serious, a full scale bass guitar is the best way to get a worthwhile sound. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 100% get a regular scale length if you're going to bother.

A P Bass is the classic Rock/Roots sound.

For more versatile (will do metal) but less characterful look at these two pickup models:
    SR series Ibanez
    Lakland Skyline 44-01
    Yamaha BB series (more trad rock funk sounds) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited December 2019
    ...dbl post
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    A few Squier Vista Musicmasters have been popping up on eBay/Facebook lately, they're great.
    ... especially after a pickup, pots and jack socket upgrade. :)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mexican P-bass a good fit?

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited December 2019
    Yes.

A solid instrument for your money. Easy to upgrade if/when you feel the need.

Over the years, Fender MIM P Basses have been offered with necks of various profiles and nut widths. These range from chunky, wide and deep (like a Fifties example) to the skinnier Jazz Bass profile. Literally, an MIM Standard J neck with a P Bass decal on its headstock.
    Be seeing you.
  • I’d go for one of the Sire basses. Probably a V7 Marcus Miller. They’re great (especially for the money) Jazz (slimmer neck than a P bass) and active (letting you get a wide range of sounds). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    I'm a guitarist but want to record bass. 
    To what standard?

For basic home demonstration recordings, you might get away with playing guitar through an octaver effect pedal or DAW processor. The sound and transient attack will be a bit fake but the gist of the idea will come across.

For anything more serious, a full scale bass guitar is the best way to get a worthwhile sound. 
    This is exactly how I progressed, and the P-bass was one of my better purchases. You can't beat the sound or playability of a real bass, especially with some nice flats fitted. The octave options works for basic stuff, but it is a bit rough and ready.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Don't bother with short scale.

Try a few to see which neck suits but, coming from guitar, you'll probably prefer the slimmer necks such as a Jazz rather than a precision.

Get a set of light gauge strings on it.  I've got my Ibanez SR500 strung with Ernie Ball 90 - 40's, and I used to be a bass player!  Last time I checked they weren't giving out medals for being a hero and using heavier gauges.

Lastly - it's going to be tough on the fingers at first, especially on the right if you don't use a pick (assuming that you're not one of these left-handed freaks that walk amongst us).  Probably better to have a good wank before you start as you may find it painful afterwards.  And, in case you were thinking of having sex instead - not a chance.  You're a bass player now.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom