Sub-£1k bass for recording - for a guitar player (i.e. smaller neck/scale)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    edited December 2019
    A Squier Precision that's had a decent set up and has the 'right' (for you) strings on would be my recommendation. There's so much written about how the Precision is the definitive bass sound, in that it is simple and sits in the mix. Sure if you want a specific sound for slap or reggae or whatever then there are specific basses to do those jobs, but an all-round bass sound? I'd buy a Precision.

EDIT: You can slap on a P-Bass and you can play reggae on a P-Bass. You can also get other bassses that sit in the mix as well as a P-Bass, but for ease, P-Bass wins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited December 2019
    Steinberger  style if you want something  - small and almost guitar sized ? 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Steinberger-Spirit-XT-2-Standard-Bass-Guitar-Black/1WHQ  for reference 

34" scale length but body small and therefore not miles away to first fret F ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    IMO, what we have under discussion is the perennial search for an instrument that can allow a guitarist to record rough guide bass guitar parts without having to make changes to playing technique or head space. 

Unfortunately, those changes are exactly what need to be made to arrive at convincing bass parts.

Bass is not just a big guitar. It's a way of life. (You'll love it.) The moves are different across and along the fingerboard. For me, that is part of the fun. By letting go of the guitar chords or riffs, it is possible to arrive at a bass line that provides harmonic, rhythmic and dynamic interest above and beyond plonking away on the root and fifth.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2019
    IMO, what we have under discussion is the perennial search for an instrument that can allow a guitarist to record rough guide bass guitar parts without having to make changes to playing technique or head space. 

Unfortunately, those changes are exactly what need to be made to arrive at convincing bass parts.

Bass is not just a big guitar. It's a way of life. (You'll love it.) The moves are different across and along the fingerboard. For me, that is part of the fun. By letting go of the guitar chords or riffs, it is possible to arrive at a bass line that provides harmonic, rhythmic and dynamic interest above and beyond plonking away on the root and fifth.
    Spot on, and if you have an interest in bass lines, you will eventually end up with a real bass in your hands. It opens up a new dimension, and I see it as being the equal of the guitar parts. In fact, a song can stand or fall by its bass element. With a strong bass line, the guitar can be used to embellish and add colour to the various sections. Before getting my bass, I always relied on rhythm guitar to drive the song.

A £1k budget is plenty to make the OP happy, and still have a few bob left over for Xmas drinks.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Nah. Sod it. I “tried” bass and after a lot of ££ moved over completely. It’s that addictive. 

Go for the full on shortcut and go straight for a fretless full scale. 

;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Go for the full on shortcut and go straight for a fretless full scale. ;)
    That's only a half cut. :-p  Position markers are for wimps.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Go for the full on shortcut and go straight for a fretless full scale. ;)
    That's only a half cut. :-p  Position markers are for wimps.
    Nah. They are purposely put in the wrong position - proper hard core
  • digitech drop or similar ?   lots of plugins of its just record bass lines n not gig ? 

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Tanglewood Overwater Aspiration Standard - £180. 

Not back in Carlisle until next weekend, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Bass over £1k.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    JMP220478 said:
    Steinberger  style if you want something  - small and almost guitar sized ? 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Steinberger-Spirit-XT-2-Standard-Bass-Guitar-Black/1WHQ  for reference 

34" scale length but body small and therefore not miles away to first fret F ... 

I say the opposite; due to the small body and how it sits/hangs, the 1st fret is about a fret further away than any other bass.
  • Schnozz said:
    Tanglewood Overwater Aspiration Standard - £180. 

Not back in Carlisle until next weekend, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Bass over £1k.
    Can you send me more details, @Schnozz ;
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    If you want a shorter scale bass, then get one.  They do have a different sound, but it didn't stop McCartney or Jack Bruce.

I've ended up with a 32" medium scale 80's Japanese Squier P Bass.  The 32" scale seems to keep a bit of the punch that a 30" scale loses, but is still significantly easier to play.

Go into a good shop and try a few.  The Fender Mustang bass is a decent example of a short scale.  Try it out against a Precision and see which you prefer.  Both should be available from Fender Mexico at similar prices.
  • Try the Squier VM Jaguar SS. I know people who work in guitar shops and they say these sell as fast as they can stock them because nearly everyone who tries one, buys one...

I have two really nice Fender basses but i still love my Jag because it's so easy to play and the quality is really good.The neck is jazz shape and beautifully finished with rolled edges taht amkes it very, very comfortable to play. It's a great bass for learning things on or doing along practice as it doesn't demand quite so much stretching and it isn't fatiguing to play.

• On the scale length versus sound debate... has anyone else here tried playing 24" scale basses?

Try one. You might be surprised - very surprised.
  • Squier Affinity P bass worth a look?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    A simple, functional device with a few shortcomings. The cost of rectifying these will take the overall expenditure above the price of a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series instrument or, for that matter, the Sire V3 and M3.

Buying pre-owned is recommended.
    Be seeing you.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    My 'as new' P bass is for sale in the classifieds. Plenty of change off your budget too!! Happy New Year!!