Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some blues rock that’s not tacky crap....

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    PhilW1 said:
    The key to avoiding the tacky crap is to stick more to the blues side rather than blues rock side imo. The originators are where it’s at.
    But OP asked for blues rock recommendations.
    Sorry. Most blues rock is crap imo.
    Ha! I’m not gonna argue with that..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Lewy said:
    A lot of very interesting suggestions here, I'm grateful for all of them, even the ones that I've subsequently checked out and haven't really dug or which were for older artists that I'm already familiar with. The ones that have stood out for me are definitely Marcus King, Fantastic Negrito, Henrik Freischlader and surprising to me, Beth Hart and JoBo I say surprising because based on and old Rokpalast video of her I'd decided I couldn't stand her and JoBo's singing has always turned me off listening to his music. Turns out that 20 years later I now love Beth Hart's voice and as long as I know he's going to keep his gob shut I can quite enjoy JoBo.

Thanks again.

Saw Marcus at point blank range at a tiny venue in Glasgow last year. Incredible talent.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Glad to see Marcus being mentioned so much here. He's a rare diamond, old school cool but with some terrific modern chops. 

His song Goodbye California is truly a modern classic.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  •  equalsql said:
    Glad to see Marcus being mentioned so much here. He's a rare diamond, old school cool but with some terrific modern chops. 

No doubt he’s a great musician but I just found that song incredibly dull. Each to their own I suppose.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000 said:
    King King
    Joanne Shaw Taylor
    Yeah, i'd second King King
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Lewy said:
    A lot of very interesting suggestions here, I'm grateful for all of them, even the ones that I've subsequently checked out and haven't really dug or which were for older artists that I'm already familiar with. The ones that have stood out for me are definitely Marcus King, Fantastic Negrito, Henrik Freischlader and surprising to me, Beth Hart and JoBo I say surprising because based on and old Rokpalast video of her I'd decided I couldn't stand her and JoBo's singing has always turned me off listening to his music. Turns out that 20 years later I now love Beth Hart's voice and as long as I know he's going to keep his gob shut I can quite enjoy JoBo.

Thanks again.
    Based on the opening post, I was reading through the suggestions in this thread imagining you going "hmmm.... yeah.... but...."

I think it's a musical genre where lots of stuff is "OK" but not much really hits the mark.  Glad you found a few things to like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    Philly_Q said:
    Lewy said:

Thanks again.
    Based on the opening post, I was reading through the suggestions in this thread imagining you going "hmmm.... yeah.... but...."

I think it's a musical genre where lots of stuff is "OK" but not much really hits the mark.  Glad you found a few things to like.

Yes it's been an interesting thread not just for the suggestions themselves but also for the insight into how people define a compound genre such as blues rock (and how some define tacky crap for that matter ;) )

One of the reasons for posting was that my experiences of trying to find new people to listen to so often tends to go like this...1) see article or random social media content 2) think "that sounds interesting" 3) explore their recorded output 4) lose faith in any semblance of quality control in the music business any more 5) think of all the song ideas I've abandoned over the years because they were pure shit and wondering whether I should have just tried to get them out there anyway because that seems to be what everyone else is doing.....

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    These days I find going down the rabbit hole of Spotify's similar artists, or its auto generated discovery playlists (based on my listening) is how I find new stuff 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    Couple more:
    Derek Trucks
    Warren Haynes/Gov’t Mule
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14026
    tFB Trader
    Sorry - not had time to look at all the above postings but here is my 10 penneth

Eric Gales - Middle of the Road

K Wayne Shepherd - How I go

Choice Of Rory Gallagher but to me Against the Grain and Calling Card are the 2 best

a couple of others to check out are Tab Benoit  and Chris Duarte
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

Choice Of Rory Gallagher but to me Against the Grain and Calling Card are the 2 best

WIS'd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • equalsql said:
    I don't know about Goodbye California, but Goodbye Carolina sounded ok (if you like that sort of thing). Contemporary music must be in a parlous state though if that song is a modern classic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Just reminded myself of the 22-20s. They're kinda bluesy. Their album was ok but their live EP was one of the best things they did.
  • Kill it Kid - Feet Fall Heavy LP

Can be a bit overwrought at times but heart is in the right place

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14026
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:

WIS'd
    Thanks - I've got a shed load of RG material but I think these 2 are my fav's - Against the rain was certainly my 1st RG album and everything else followed
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Jalapeno said:

WIS'd
    Thanks - I've got a shed load of RG material but I think these 2 are my fav's - Against the rain was certainly my 1st RG album and everything else followed
    I used to spend ages studying the cover photos of Against the Grain.  Maybe that's why I like relic Strats.
  • Buddaheads.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Dave Meniketti - Meniketti

Dave Meniketti - On The Blue Side

Gary Moore is gone, but Y&T's guitarist Dave Meniketti is still touring as a master of the Les Paul.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZzFRuATu0
  • All the right notes, not always in the right order!