Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your musical discovery of 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• A very, very old discovery but I'd never got around to listening to DIO era Sabbath til this year, and I can't believe it took me so long to do so.  OK, he's not Ozzy but I see it to be 2 different bands in some ways.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some brilliant stuff here.
    Bevis Frond- fckn hell, how have I never heard of them? The guy's some kind of savant.
    The Interrupters- Excellent, really remind me of Rancid, the singer even sounds like Tim Armstrong on some tracks.
    Big Thief- Didn't expect to like them, but they're definitely the top level of that genre (whatever it is..)

Not sure what new stuff I found this year.
    But new to me Los Twang Marvels

Also discovered that Jefferey Lee Pierce had become a pretty impressive guitarist before he passed on.

Tim Armstrong appears on one of their tracks and pops up live with them from time to time, they are in that family of bands. 

I’m enjoying Los Twang Marvels, new to me. If you don’t know Messer Chups ( might have to check the spelling) or the Bambi Molesters they are contemporary European surf bands ( the Chups a bit more novelty maybe). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    edited December 2019
    Amyl and the sniffers on Jools Holland. Only got one song but Liam Gallagher got three ffs!

Rugged Road by Robben Ford (and I cannot stand blues).

Kevin Ayers, shouting in a bucket blues. What a song!  =)

Finally got round to listening to Flying Lotus, Cosmogramma.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Periphery. I know they’re not exactly new or a recent discovery for me but it’s only since Hail Stan came out that I’ve given them a proper chance and I’m so into it. The vocals on this track are incredible, especially after the middle clean breakdown. 

https://youtu.be/hy3YJybXkJg
  • Martin Harley. 
    Sublime Americana style blues/folk slide playing. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bevis Frond- fckn hell, how have I never heard of them? The guy's some kind of savant.
    The Interrupters- Excellent, really remind me of Rancid, the singer even sounds like Tim Armstrong on some tracks.
    Big Thief- Didn't expect to like them, but they're definitely the top level of that genre (whatever it is..)

Also discovered that Jefferey Lee Pierce had become a pretty impressive guitarist before he passed on.

Is Jeffrey Lee Pierce the chap from The Gun Club? I used to love them, not listened for ages so I'll take this as a reminder to
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

Is Jeffrey Lee Pierce the chap from The Gun Club? I used to love them, not listened for ages so I'll take this as a reminder to

Yes, that's him. I something of a love hate relationship with them. Some albums I just found unlistenable, but there were some diamonds in there & I somehow stuck with them. If you check out Larger Than Live I think most of the lead on that is JLP & there's a fabulous version of Temptation & I.  I'm not 100% sure it's him playing, because Congo Powers is on it too, but it just doesn't seem like him when you listen to other stuff he's done. (There's a brilliant live version of him playing Mother Of Earth on YouTube incidentally)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Root 6 Barre Chord.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Hollywood Vampires, always on for the commute to work!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Trombone Shorty, belting N'Olreans tuneage.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Gassage said:
    Root 6 Barre Chord.
    Great for those Hendrix-y pentatonic fills!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    For those piqued by The Bevis Frond, I discovered this great track called "You're On You're Own" a couple of months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWVWX8Z6JE8
  • I'm not sure what Alex Faide out of Twang Marvels has recorded recently - he had moved back to Buenos Aires and now I think he lives in Mexico - but he sometimes posts videos of himself practicing to his Facebook page - Mr Sandman Cannonball Rag Maui Chimes Villa Lobos Etude #1, on a Gretsch with a pick and maybe far too much reverb  Trap by Robert Fripp, La Catedral by Barrios on a P90 tele with just the right amount of reverb 

Hope those links work. Facebook is an arse for sharing. He's a really extraordinary guitarist. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited December 2019
    I discovered Dirk Maassen this year.
    I started hearing one piece, and bit by bit I've added more till now I know most of his recordings. 
    This is really not what I would have thought of as my thing, but hey, tastes change.
    Piano music with a minimalist feel to it and melodies which are not complicated or challenging but neverthenonetheless seem engaging.  (Say, unlike Richard Clayderman, no disrespect but you'll never be musically surprised by anything he plays cos that's not what he's trying to do.)
    Anyway,
    Dirk Maassen, Skin on Skin

• A very, very old discovery but I'd never got around to listening to DIO era Sabbath til this year, and I can't believe it took me so long to do so.  OK, he's not Ozzy but I see it to be 2 different bands in some ways.

Are you aware they back got together in 2009 under the name Heaven & Hell? They released an album called The Devil You Know and it's sublime. A much better Sabbath album than 13 that's for sure. Tony shouldn't have given in to Sharon and called it a proper Black Sabbath album.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited December 2019
    wesker123 said:
    Amyl and the sniffers on Jools Holland. Only got one song but Liam Gallagher got three ffs!

They were the only authentic band in that whole series. Three mullets as well. You got to know what you're doing when you sport a mullet. Yep.
  • One band that blew me away this year is The Comet Is Coming.

And in a remarkable piece of serendipity, NPR posted this today:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This album by Half Man Half Biscuit ... 
    No-One Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fuckin' Hedge Cut

This track...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Acoustic guitarist Yamandu Costa. Blown away by his passionate, expressive, and - astonishingly so for a beefy guy with hands like a butcher - delicate playing. I've been going to his YouTube videos again and again since discovering  him earlier this year. Wonderful, inspirational guitarist.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom