Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Original Blue Flower 68 Tele - With a difference ??????????????????????

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Hilarious 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Surprising we don’t see more like this - they were just wallpaper stuck to the body after all.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    Well exactly, so what purpose does a so-called expert have except to add validity to a bare faced lie. The 'Fender expert' (and I would dearly love to know who this was)  should have declined to comment. Big problem with vintage guitars I think.

"I decided to leave it as it is the original blue floral finish still on the guitar and the guitar is in original condition"

That's a lie. It's not in original 'condition'. An original condition is all the original parts as shipped with the guitar originally.
    If it was stated that the guitar comes with 'original era parts' then it's fine but the guitar is being deliberately misrepresented.

I would like to report this as misrepresentation but I can't find a report button.
    On the app there’s a link right at the bottom of the page. Not easy to spot. I’ve reported it. Doubt they will do anything. I agree there’s a clear intention to deceive.
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Gone as in sold or withdrawn?
    Be seeing you.
  • gringopig said:
    and BANG, it's gone. Wow. Good work Reverb!
    Wow, if it was Reverb then I stand corrected. Certainly much quicker than eBay would have been.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    gringopig said:
    and BANG, it's gone. Wow. Good work Reverb!
    Wow. That's a slightly faster response than Ebay...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Just again underlines what a minefield vintage guitars are. That seller has loads of listings and positive feedback.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ICBM said:
    gringopig said:

"one of the countries most respected vintage fender experts". What a joke.
    To be fair, how would you know? If all the parts are from the right year and there are no obvious giveaways like paint from a different body adhering to the neck heel, there is no way of telling whether an old Fender is factory original or assembled from parts of several different guitars.

Even redone solder joints wouldn't prove anything on that one, since it could have been had apart when the finish was being stripped.

Caveat emptor.
    Emptor stupidus might be more appropriate in this instance.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    JezWynd said:

Indeed. But the point I'm making is that without actual evidence like this of finding the parts in an old sale listing, or physical marks on the parts, how do you know that *any* old Fender is factory original? Usually the best you can say is that the parts are all of the same era (sometimes year) and that there's no evidence it *isn't* original...

Achtung Minen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Yes just noticed my original link has now disappeared - But some good research etc by other FB guys
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Indeed. But the point I'm making is that without actual evidence like this of finding the parts in an old sale listing, or physical marks on the parts, how do you know that *any* old Fender is factory original? Usually the best you can say is that the parts are all of the same era (sometimes year) and that there's no evidence it *isn't* original...

Achtung Minen.
    Possibly inappropriate, but it's been so long since I heard that phrase :-D

Related image
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    The idiot who did that damage to his guitar should be forced to listen to my attempts to play something.  For at least a day....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited July 2020
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    gringopig said:
    I reported this. Makes me angry, this deliberate faking and misrepresentation in the vintage market.
    top marks
    edited July 2020
  • If you think vintage Fender is exciting, try vintage rolex
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    edited December 2019
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Achtung Minen.
    Even presuming that a vintage Fender is a 100% bona fide, unmolested example, exactly as it was when it left the factory, the fact that when it was originally assembled in the factory all the bits of it - body, neck and hardware - were all probably selected at random from whatever stock was on hand that day raises the question of where to draw the line on what is authentically vintage and what is worth paying a premium for. 

You could buy all the vintage parts of the same/similar age separately, assemble a guitar out of them and justify it as “authentic” because owing to the random nature of the assembly line back in the day, theoretically those parts selected by you “could” have found themselves put together in 1962 or whatever.

Considering that you can never be 100% sure that what you are getting is not some sort of partscaster assembled after the fact, is it ever worth paying a premium? Also, referring to discussions on here about the practices of Musicground and similar enterprises, there must be a quite a few partscasters (made of both original and aftermarket parts) doing the rounds claiming to 100% vintage, which are great guitars and which are loved by their owners. And how many guys who unbeknownst own vintage guitars of dubious provenance, tell themselves that the price is justified because new instruments just don’t have the same “mojo”?