Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Time to slow down- drinking wise.

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
edited December 2019 in Off Topic
I've recently turned 39, and although I dont feel any different. I'm the lightest I've been in over five years. 
I'm still cycling to work and my blood pressure is optimal. Here's the but ...

I need to slow down on the drinking.  I went out for drinks last weekend and made the rookie mistake of not eating before. 
And I've not been quite right since, in your youth you  just bounce these things off. 
I thought "fresh air will help", and cycled to work in the pissing rain, taking twice as long as I normally would.  I was sent home afterwards. I've had the shivers, cold sweats, banging headache etc etc 

Thankfully water has helped, I've drank litres to try and flush it out of my system. And I'm 90% back to fighting fit.
My living situation is good, we got the news that the free loading relative will be gone by the end of January. That'll be a load off of our minds.

I have been spoilt recently by being given some really nice whiskeys.
I know I need to slow down. Perhaps go dry until the new year. I was given a bottle of glengoyne less than a month ago and that's pretty much gone. 
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Similar to me. I'm almost 39, I'm slim, I don't exercise enough but I'll change that once my personal life balances out. 

I drink too much. Mainly because the past year I've had a long 10 year relationship end, moved cities, moved jobs, bought a new build, got into another relationship which again ended terribly, on her part.

The only way to deal with the acute anxiety was a few beers. We aren't talking smashed all the time, but a few a night.

Last week I unfortunately had bronchitis and stopped all alcohol. It was ok! But the time spent resting meant my brain was on overdrive.

I do need to sort myself out but whilst I'm single and enjoying my mates, music, my newish job and trying to keep my head above the water, the alcohol takes the edge off.
  • BTW I've also become as slim as I was in 2007/2008 due to lack of appetite. It's weird. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Similar to me. I'm almost 39, I'm slim, I don't exercise enough but I'll change that once my personal life balances out. 

I drink too much. Mainly because the past year I've had a long 10 year relationship end, moved cities, moved jobs, bought a new build, got into another relationship which again ended terribly, on her part.

The only way to deal with the acute anxiety was a few beers. We aren't talking smashed all the time, but a few a night.

Last week I unfortunately had bronchitis and stopped all alcohol. It was ok! But the time spent resting meant my brain was on overdrive.

I do need to sort myself out but whilst I'm single and enjoying my mates, music, my newish job and trying to keep my head above the water, the alcohol takes the edge off.
    certainly relate to this, maybe look at ways to lessen your anxiety..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can definitely recommend stopping drinking, at least for a bit. I stopped nearly six years ago for unrelated reasons, but the knock on effect on my sleeping, general energy and clarity of thought has been great. Took a while, but definitely think giving it a go is worth it.

Plus, non-alcoholic beers have gotten loads better in those six years, hit me up if you need any recommendations!
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    If you like spirits, I can recommend Seedlip Citrus non alcoholic spirit. It's like gin, but no booze.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    @Musicman20 totally understand. I was single for a few years, my ex was bonkers. It does knock your confidence when you're in your mid 30s. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Can I ask what you guys are seeing as drinking too much? I mean if you feel its too much then it is but it would be good to see what that is compared to the norm.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2019
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Can I ask what you guys are seeing as drinking too much? I mean if you feel its too much then it is but it would be good to see what that is compared to the norm.. 
    Worst case scenario I'm having a few drams of whiskey a week. I'm trying not to drink in the week days. I can't go out and drink 7-8 pints anymore, I just worry with the high alcohol content of neat spirits etc
  • Grunfeld said:
    Twas a good post tho.

Bye!

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Grunfeld said:
    Twas a good post tho.

Thanks Drew.  I suddenly felt like a pompous arse though.  I don't want to be.  This is a real thing for me and I know how difficult it is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3437
    A few drams a week? I wouldn't call that excessive, unless a dram means a bottle? Im 40+ and I have always liked a drink, week ends only, maybe a bottle of wine, or a few beers , or both, now and again I like to drink spirits, whiskey mostly , and on a good night a half a bottle is easy.
    However, this last few years my hang overs are just brutal, for instance, last Friday night I drank 4 cans of beer, Saturday morning and I literally felt like a train hit me, surely thats not normal? It could be tiredness, or dehydration, or probably both, but they seem to be getting worse as I get older.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    It's not mandatory to drink alcohol. I wouldn't feel guilty about just stopping. If the thought of stopping fills you with dread then I would say that's a sign of a habit.
    Since I've got back into gigging and playing a few pubs I can't believe how much some people put away.  I can honestly say I've never drunk a pint of beer or a glass of wine in my life.  No reason other than the fact I don't fancy it any more than putting Marmite on my toast.  I took my son and a couple of his mates to a seated gig a few years back.  In the interval, one of them disappeared to the bar and came back with 4 pints on a tray.  I didn't get as far as saying "sorry, not for me." he just sat down and drank the lot!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    I drink about 30 pints a week and a bottle of red roughly, I only drink 4 nights a week now but it was 7 nights a week for many years. As you get older it's a good idea to reduce your intake. I think it's also important to have a couple of alcohol free nights to give the liver a chance to recover. 
    I have friends who do 7 to 10 pints every night with maybe 12 or so  on a Sunday Funday ... I couldn't do that these days 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    I drink about 30 pints a week and a bottle of red roughly, I only drink 4 nights a week now but it was 7 nights a week for many years. As you get older it's a good idea to reduce your intake. I think it's also important to have a couple of alcohol free nights to give the liver a chance to recover. 
    I have friends who do 7 to 10 pints every night with maybe 12 or so  on a Sunday Funday ... I couldn't do that these days 
    Mate. Are you really drinking 7 pints four nights a week? Thats seriously unhealthy. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Around 38 or 39 was the age when I really started to suffer and get the 3/4 day hangovers. Good idea to start limiting your intake, and find other interests. I just do special occasions and a few beers with friends a couple of times a month. I also don’t drink in the house. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    It's called "getting old".

Trust me, there are worse things than losing one's capacity to get shitfaced and bounce around bright-eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    Danny1969 said:
    Mate. Are you really drinking 7 pints four nights a week? Thats seriously unhealthy. 
    I tend to drink most heavy on Friday and Sat as they are gig nights plus I like to be in the pub late Friday afternoon. Yeah it's not great but as I mentioned I used to be a lot worse. I quit smoking 10 years ago and haven't had a puff since so that's something :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    DrJazzTap said:
    I've recently turned 39, and although I dont feel any different. I'm the lightest I've been in over five years. 
    I'm still cycling to work and my blood pressure is optimal. Here's the but ...

I need to slow down on the drinking.  I went out for drinks last weekend and made the rookie mistake of not eating before. 
    And I've not been quite right since, in your youth you  just bounce these things off. 
    I thought "fresh air will help", and cycled to work in the pissing rain, taking twice as long as I normally would.  I was sent home afterwards. I've had the shivers, cold sweats, banging headache etc etc 

Thankfully water has helped, I've drank litres to try and flush it out of my system. And I'm 90% back to fighting fit.
    My living situation is good, we got the news that the free loading relative will be gone by the end of January. That'll be a load off of our minds.

I have been spoilt recently by being given some really nice whiskeys.
    I know I need to slow down. Perhaps go dry until the new year. I was given a bottle of glengoyne less than a month ago and that's pretty much gone. 
    how much did you drink?
    it should not take that long to recover unless you drank a very large amount
    Are you sure you haven't got a virus? Cold sweats sounds like flu