Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Time to slow down- drinking wise.

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Zoolooter said:
    Around 38 or 39 was the age when I really started to suffer and get the 3/4 day hangovers. Good idea to start limiting your intake, and find other interests. I just do special occasions and a few beers with friends a couple of times a month. I also don’t drink in the house. 
    How much would you drink to get a 4 day hangover?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    A few drams a week? I wouldn't call that excessive, unless a dram means a bottle? Im 40+ and I have always liked a drink, week ends only, maybe a bottle of wine, or a few beers , or both, now and again I like to drink spirits, whiskey mostly , and on a good night a half a bottle is easy.
    However, this last few years my hang overs are just brutal, for instance, last Friday night I drank 4 cans of beer, Saturday morning and I literally felt like a train hit me, surely thats not normal? It could be tiredness, or dehydration, or probably both, but they seem to be getting worse as I get older.
    wow, that is strange. is that a one off reaction?
    Bowks said:
    If you like spirits, I can recommend Seedlip Citrus non alcoholic spirit. It's like gin, but no booze.

yep, quite nice. The ready-mixed Gordon's low-alcohol G+T tastes nicer I think, try that too
  • In 2016 I only had ~10 units all year and I felt like like fucking Superman. It changed my relationship with alcohol, and now I see it as a celebratory thing (not "yay it's Thursday!"). Don't generally drink at home or alone.

I had got to the stage where hangovers had morphed into multi-day low mood. It's real and it doesn't take a huge amount.

I'm slightly hammered now but I'm celebrating a successful first date. :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I don't have a problem with alcohol,  it's only when I run out I have a problem.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    only problem I have is that I don't get as much done in the evening if I drink, and the general idea that it's not good for my body
    Some mates of mine drink huge quantities, and I did some research, because I wondered how they cope with driving and work the next day (2 bottles of wine for a woman, 3 for a man)

I discovered a lot of stuff that surprised me (in academic journal papers)

From memory:
    Basically, there are 2 stages to metabolising ethanol:
    1. conversion to acetaldehyde,
    2 then the conversion of that to acetic acid

Some people are very good at #1, and poor at #2, some vice versa, some good at both
    to keep this post short, this is why many Chinese people get drunk and ill on half a pint of beer.

the ratios between #1 and #2 differ massively. affecting your ability to expel alcohol without suffering a toxic reaction

in addition, heavy drinkers switch to another path of metabolism that is 4 or 5 times faster, and generates heat. I forget the name of it, I can look this up if anyone cares

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
    robgilmo said:
    A few drams a week? I wouldn't call that excessive, unless a dram means a bottle? Im 40+ and I have always liked a drink, week ends only, maybe a bottle of wine, or a few beers , or both, now and again I like to drink spirits, whiskey mostly , and on a good night a half a bottle is easy.
    However, this last few years my hang overs are just brutal, for instance, last Friday night I drank 4 cans of beer, Saturday morning and I literally felt like a train hit me, surely thats not normal? It could be tiredness, or dehydration, or probably both, but they seem to be getting worse as I get older.
    Not really , no, been like this for a while, I can drink a fair amount or I can drink a little, hangovers are always the same, harsh.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    Not really , no, been like this for a while, I can drink a fair amount or I can drink a little, hangovers are always the same, harsh.
    I know a lot of people who drink 8 units of alcohol with little consequences
    Since that's a change for you, maybe it's because your tolerance is down or because your body has lost its capability
    I'd ask other people too, but 4 drinks seems too little to get hangovers if you didn't have them before.
    You could get a liver function test done I guess, I don't really know what to advise. I've heard people complain that if they admit to drinking a bottle of wine to a GP they get labelled as alcoholic, so it's hard to know what to advise.

The ethanol metabolic path has lots of things that could vary for someone, so not easy to predict.

Speaking personally, I think my alcohol tolerance has probably gone down 25% at 50+
    You'd probably have to evaluate if your change looks medically significant. I know women in their 50s drinking 2 bottles of wine a night with no obvious effects, and some people younger who get very tipsy on just half a bottle, it's hard to make generalisations
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    how much did you drink?
    it should not take that long to recover unless you drank a very large amount
    Are you sure you haven't got a virus? Cold sweats sounds like flu
    I'm trying to remember, must have been 7 pints or so of a dark craft style ale (everyone get getting them in for me).
    Because my partner and I are cutting down, she hadn't eaten (saving her calories for prosecco). So I didn't eat either. Consequently I span out like a twat when we got home. I must have picked up a flu virus in the christmas market, I had a rough hangover feeling all the way until monday afternoon. And then the Tuesday cycle I to work hit me  hard, I felt super feeble and had  no energy. I do need to start measuring my spirits properly as I'm eye balling them atm, and my measurements are pretty much half a tulip glass.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    After what's been going on recently I'm actually thinking of upping my game, blotting it all out and sober up when it's over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I drink about 30 pints a week and a bottle of red roughly, I only drink 4 nights a week now but it was 7 nights a week for many years. As you get older it's a good idea to reduce your intake. I think it's also important to have a couple of alcohol free nights to give the liver a chance to recover. 
    I have friends who do 7 to 10 pints every night with maybe 12 or so  on a Sunday Funday ... I couldn't do that these days 
    Mate. Are you really drinking 7 pints four nights a week? Thats seriously unhealthy. 
    I tend to drink most heavy on Friday and Sat as they are gig nights plus I like to be in the pub late Friday afternoon. Yeah it's not great but as I mentioned I used to be a lot worse. I quit smoking 10 years ago and haven't had a puff since so that's something :)
    Not trying to be a dick here but if a real world mate of mine drank like that I'd be genuinely concerned about them. Take it easy. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    I drink about 30 pints a week and a bottle of red roughly, I only drink 4 nights a week now but it was 7 nights a week for many years. As you get older it's a good idea to reduce your intake. I think it's also important to have a couple of alcohol free nights to give the liver a chance to recover. 
    I have friends who do 7 to 10 pints every night with maybe 12 or so  on a Sunday Funday ... I couldn't do that these days 
    I’m about the same Danny although it’s mainly Friday and Saturday nights for me when gigging, with the occasional Sunday afternoon thrown in. 

The band I’ve played in for 12 or so years revolves around having a few bevvies. We were all best friends before we started the band so it’s very much a social get together for us as well as providing a service. We are just coming off our busiest year to date so we must be doing something right.

I never drink through the week so I guess that gives my body enough time to recover. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    gringopig said:
     I know women in their 50s drinking 2 bottles of wine a night with no obvious effects, and some people younger who get very tipsy on just half a bottle, it's hard to make generalisations
    No obvious effects but the damage to internal organs and the brain will be occurring nonetheless. Alcoholic liver disease won't take long at that rate.
    it's not to be recommended

Surprisingly though, the data I saw said that very heavy drinkers (1+ bottles of spirits per day) were only 50% likely to get serious cirrhosis after 20 years of drinking at that rate, so it's clearly more complicated than everyone having the same outcome 
  • Danny1969 said:
    I’m about the same Danny although it’s mainly Friday and Saturday nights for me when gigging, with the occasional Sunday afternoon thrown in. 

The band I’ve played in for 12 or so years revolves around having a few bevvies. We were all best friends before we started the band so it’s very much a social get together for us as well as providing a service. We are just coming off our busiest year to date so we must be doing something right.

I never drink through the week so I guess that gives my body enough time to recover. 
    If you're drinking 30 plus pints with additional wine etc your body is not recovering like you think, it will lead to addiction,  if you're partner asked you to suddenly stop would you feel totslly fine with that or worried and refuse? If you would feel worried/nervous about stopping etc you have the start of a phychologial addiction to alcohol, unless steps are taken now I would be surprised if it doesn't turn into a full physical addiction in the future, don't forget alcohol is a poison, it will not only damage your liver but every part of you especially your brain {korsicovs syndrome).

You may not drink through the week but you're more than making up for it on the 2/3 days you do,

Sorry for the lecture but as an alcohol worker for nearly 20 years I saw this all to often, I would rather be physically  addicted to heroin than alcohol as its easier to come off and less damaging belive it or not 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  •  would rather be physically  addicted to heroin than alcohol as its easier to come off and less damaging belive it or not 
    Is that true? :astonished: 

Bye!

•  would rather be physically  addicted to heroin than alcohol as its easier to come off and less damaging belive it or not 

100% I can count on 2 hands the amount of heroin users who died in my time as a drug worker, I can't count the amount of alcohol dependent  clients. Way to many 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
     would rather be physically  addicted to heroin than alcohol as its easier to come off and less damaging belive it or not 
    I remember reading that opiates are more aligned with human body chemistry than alcohol, and in theory if you had a supply of very pure heroin and got your dosages well managed, you could probably live a long and happy life. And that if you stopped the heroin, withdrawal might be unpleasant, but you could return to perfect physical health. Whereas alcohol will just slowly poison your body and you would never get back to 100%, plus the withdrawl can kill you.