Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spotify. Join the Dark Side?

What's Hot
I found I had an ancient Spotify account from way back when and seeing as a full streaming account is 5 Euros (half of that in the UK!!) I am considering it.....

Looking to be able to listen to full albums and explore stuff I wouldn't normally listen to and catch up on bands I do like but not been able to keep up with over the last few years. Also just to listen to more music full stop.

No I am no longer self employed. Yes I have a pro job now that pays enough the a 5 Euro subscription would not break the bank.

Streaming through the phone whilst commuting and suchlike appeals.

So, is Spotify still ok or something to give a miss?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    amazon music for this caballero!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I have Spotify as part of my phone package, so I’ve never tried any of the others to compare. 

In several years I think there have only been a few occasions it couldn’t play my random or whimsical wants. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Spotify is excellent, and I use it constantly! :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    SOunds good. Payday next Friday so this can be my Christmas present to myself, won't be getting any others......
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Jetsam1 said:
    SOunds good. Payday next Friday so this can be my Christmas present to myself, won't be getting any others......
    What it doesn’t do is have the voice interface bit that Apple or Amazon do. I see this a good thing but I’m pretty odd 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure about voice controls. I like pressing buttons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Fine for individual use, but a problem for the family package unless you want to lie about ages.  We got our daughter a phone when she turned 11 (as she was only months away from starting secondary school).  Thought it would be a good idea to get the family package but kids have to be 13 fro the family package on Spotify.  Also have to be 13 for Amazon music family package.  Ended up with Google Play Music.  Same price - similar song selection.
    It will just be for me, family packages won't be required for some time as the Kids are still too small. Not sure I want to go further into Google.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    I’ve got an Apple Music family package. Very happy with it. I’m sure Spotify have more going on around discovery, but as my family all have iPhones, it just makes sense to stay native. Sounds good too. 
  • YouTube Premium Family for me which includes YT Music and Google Play Music. Was on Spotify before that which I liked. Never got on with Apple or Amazon music.
  • I'm a huge fan of Spotify for finding new stuff, and I think the others don't really compete too well in that department - look at artist/track radio or release radar. That depends on  wanting to find mad new stuff, which I do, maybe most people less so. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I’ve had Spotify for a good few years now.   It’s brilliant.  

I trialled a few others, including some supposed ‘hi-res’ audio options (Tidal and Qobuz) but they didn’t sound any better to me....and that’s using some fairly decent hifi with an Arcam DAC. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited December 2019
    My phone plays Spotify from voice commands while I'm driving so it is possible on some level

I tried other streaming platforms but ultimately stayed with Spotify for Spotify Connect. I can zap tunes to my DAB radio or to the Raspberry Pi DAC on my main system from my phone or laptop

High bitrate lossy compression (256kbps+) is audibly transparent so don't worry about sound quality. Just set it to the highest possible and turn off volume normalisation

My main listening is vinyl which is far more expensive, a total pain to move and doesn't sound as good
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Spotify is far better than The Amazon music you get bundled with Prime membership. I don't know how Amazon managed to create such a terrible product
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    strtdv said:
    Spotify is far better than The Amazon music you get bundled with Prime membership. I don't know how Amazon managed to create such a terrible product

They want you to sign up to the Amazon Music on top of that.  If there was a decent selection of music on the basic one, no-one would bother.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited December 2019
    Spotify has opened a different world.
    It has some incredible algorithms and/ or I'm really easy to please.
    The way it suggests music has transformed my preferences; bloody program knows what I like better than I do.* 
    There is no way I'd either be exposed to all these artists, let alone afford the cost of doing what I used to do which was taking random punts on CDs or other offerings.

Whenever I hear something I like I copy it to a holding folder.  Once I've got a few dozen in it I'll give them another listen and I copy the favourites to various playlists.  It's like having the best mix tapes with no crap on them. 

*EDIT -- e.g. in addition to some stuff I've never heard of it has just given me Beethoven immediately followed by Jah Wobble.  It's like the spirit of John Peel lives on :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Grunfeld said:
    Spotify has opened a different world.
    It has some incredible algorithms and/ or I'm really easy to please.
    The way it suggests music has transformed my preferences; bloody program knows what I like better than I do.* 
    There is no way I'd either be exposed to all these artists, let alone afford the cost of doing what I used to do which was taking random punts on CDs or other offerings.

Whenever I hear something I like I copy it to a holding folder.  Once I've got a few dozen in it I'll give them another listen and I copy the favourites to various playlists.  It's like having the best mix tapes with no crap on them. 

*EDIT -- e.g. in addition to some stuff I've never heard of it has just given me Beethoven immediately followed by Jah Wobble.  It's like the spirit of John Peel lives on :)
    My algorithms aren't so good since my main listening is offline. I use Spotify for learning songs and checking out new artists mostly. I don't think Spotify Connect plays are tracked either so that's my main system out completely. Bit of a shame
  • Haven't compared other products but I was an early Spotify adopter and really like it.  Haven't bought a CD in years and never play the ones I have.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    I'm with YouTube/Google Play Music and have been really happy with it.  I get 6 accounts for £15, which covers the family and a friend.  The move to YouTube Music is in need of some refinement with regards to recommendations and I do consider moving to Spotify occasionally.  I sometimes go back to GPM because it has my own library uploaded into it, which YT Music doesn't support yet.

As a musician, I do feel immense guilt for using streaming services though.  They're definitely not great for the artist (1000 plays will pay out 3p!!), so I do still try to buy when I really like something - though I'd prefer a paid download to physical media.  
  • I use Deezer, because it doesn't come out of my data allowance. As far as I can see for the stuff I like there's no difference between it and Spotify. I was against streaming for quite a while, then I worked out how much I'd spent on music in the previous six months and it worked out cheaper to pay a monthly subscription. I love it: it's great for checking out other albums by bands I like, without having to shell out for them or trawl through eBay trying to find them :+1:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)