Whirlwind Gold Box Distortion

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
I was looking to replace my vintage ('78) MXR Distortion+ and asked around if anyone had tried new and old back to back as I was concerned that the new MXR variant might differ and was suggested I look at a Whirlwind Gold Box.
What a pedal, or should I say "what a clone". It was just like plugging the guitar into a familiar old friend and not at all silly prices, I picked mine up on Reverb for £75 and it's like new. Check them out, if you're into that sort of vibe. Well worth a look.

http://www.whirlwinduk.com/whirlwind-gold-box-distortion/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11564
    edited December 2019 tFB Trader
    The guy who runs Whirlwind was an early partner in MXR  and so is using the old circuit in his own pedals (or so I was told)
    You got a good price on yours

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• The guy who runs Whirlwind was an early partner in MXR  and so is using the old circuit in his own pedals (or so I was told)
    You got a good price on yours
    That's what I heard too, although the website is very careful not to say anything of the sort!

Yes, I was very pleased with myself getting it for that and it was mint in box with free postage. I didn't even try knocking him on the price as seems to be the Reverb practice. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    I have one of these Whilwind Gold Box's. Sounds good to me. Apparently they are all signed inside by the maker - not that I have looked yet. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited December 2019
    @tone1 I converted mine to 9v dc and had to replace most of the wires and fixed a lot of dry solders but she's still a bit intermittent. I wanted basically a reliable version with led and pretty sure it's what i've got.

steer said: I have one of these Whilwind Gold Box's. Sounds good to me. Apparently they are all signed inside by the maker - not that I have looked yet. 

You should open it up, the board has a blanket!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    Yeah the battery only is a bit of a pain 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    edited December 2019
    I love the dist +, I've read the whirlwind had a little bit more volume...  heard nothing but good reviews about them
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    i have an old block d+ which has been modded a lot and it sounds great. the eqd gray channel, while very nice, couldn't touch the old d+. not had the pleasure of trying a gold box but their orange box phaser is really good!
  • UPDATE*

I bloody love this pedal! :3