Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm so out of touch...

What's Hot
Went out to watch Alabama 3 last night with a mate, excellent gig (that's not the out of touch bit although you may beg to differ) I took £40 out for drinks, sauntered up to the bar, pint of cider and double vodka red bull - that will be £13.90 please sir!  3 rounds and I was skint. It didn't cost that much 25yrs ago! 
"OUR TOSSPOT"
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    I know what you mean. I work with a lot of younger men aged 20's and 30's and they think nothing of a couple of hundred quid on a night out. Mind you that probably includes some illicit substances. If i spend £50 or £60 on a night including food for 2 of us i feel like i've been ripped off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    This is why I'm glad I'm teetotal! Went to a London gig with my oldest son in the summer, he bought a pint and didn't seem to get much change from a tenner
  • I started my going out with a fiver that brought me 4 pints, a bag of chips & a taxi home. Now it’s £4.80 for a Guinness in town. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    I started my going out with a fiver that brought me 4 pints, a bag of chips & a taxi home. Now it’s £4.80 for a Guinness in town. 
    Manchester’s optimistic city centre bar pricing has spread to the suburbs - so now even the laziest drinker (me) can have the luxury of paying £6 for a pint in their neighbourhood boozers.  Add a g&t and you’re pushing £14.

I tell them this in my dad’s local up in the north-east and they genuinely think I’ve taken leave of my senses. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything over 30 bob a pint seems expensive to me
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

I noticed this a while ago in Tesco - a bottle of Courvoisier, which was about £18 last time I bought one, was £32!

I stopped drinking 3 1/2 years ago, and I'd never be able to buy pedals if I hadn't. 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    I still remember beer at the students union bar costing 10p a pint. I could get legless and treat the ladeez to a babycham for under a quid.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 540
    edited December 2019
    Paul_C said:

I noticed this a while ago in Tesco - a bottle of Courvoisier, which was about £18 last time I bought one, was £32!

I stopped drinking 3 1/2 years ago, and I'd never be able to buy pedals if I hadn't. 
    Lol it’s because I buy so many pedals that I mainly never go out & only buy 10 cans of Guinness a week from Tesco 

edited to add,
    plus I work permanent late's
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    Lucky I still drink in a social club at £2.75 a pint. Lovely ale too!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When pound coins where first introduced, we called them beer tokens, as it was £1 per pint.  A tenner was enough for a good night out including a takeaway on the walk home.  

• boogieman said:
    I still remember beer at the students union bar costing 10p a pint. I could get legless and treat the ladeez to a babycham for under a quid.  
    I think as a nipper living in a pub , Watneys  starlight being about 10p a pint it was the cheapest. I think it lTer changed to Mann’s triple crown
  • As a young un  I worked in a holiday camp bar up north . The owner had gotten hold of a lorry load of bottles San Miguel  , we were told to push it but no one would touch it , even at 50p a bottle it was a hard sell . Everyone wanted Webster’s penine or carlsberg and wouldn’t touch it.
    now I go out to the local bar and it costs a bloody bomb 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Brooklyn Lager is £6.40 a pint at The Camden Underworld.  

Factor in my train fare, gig ticket and a bit of tucker on the way home and I’m not getting much change from £100.  
  • It's almost as if they are trying to reduce how much people drink isn't it ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    edited December 2019
    boogieman said:
    I think as a nipper living in a pub , Watneys  starlight being about 10p a pint it was the cheapest. I think it lTer changed to Mann’s triple crown
    My college was in Ripon, North Yorks. The beer was always known as Sludge but it came from Masham Brewery so was actually a decent pint. If you were feeling particularly flush or in a kamikaze mood, the local pubs sold Old Peculiar on draught. Couple of pints of that would erase all memories of the night. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    I started my going out with a fiver that brought me 4 pints, a bag of chips & a taxi home. Now it’s £4.80 for a Guinness in town. 
    Manchester’s optimistic city centre bar pricing has spread to the suburbs - so now even the laziest drinker (me) can have the luxury of paying £6 for a pint in their neighbourhood boozers.  Add a g&t and you’re pushing £14.

I tell them this in my dad’s local up in the north-east and they genuinely think I’ve taken leave of my senses. 
    Come to Stockport!

(Also gutted I missed Alabama 3 - how was it @jonnyburgo? Was the Reverend missed?)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    You can find decent prices if you look - I went out in Leigh yesterday with Our Maud, got a pint of Dragon Slayer bitter and a pint of Kronenburg 1664 for £4.89!

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    A pint is £2.40 in my local Fullers pub every week day up to 6 o'clock, then £3.50 there after. Pretty cheap really. 

Cheapest place I've ever drank was Liverpool ... dearest was Bristol. Much preferred Liverpool, awesome city for a night out
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Move down to West Dorset folks. Our local Spoons charge £2.50 a pint for regular beer and no more than about £3.50 for poncy stuff.
    Off to the cinema tonight with the wife and it’s £3.50 a ticket so we’ll have a couple of drinks each , see the film and have change from £20 :-)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Had similar experience recently. Bought a lemonade and one beer; gave the barman a fiver. We then stood staring at each other. Him waiting for more money, me waiting for my change.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom