Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Time to slow down- drinking wise.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    CloudNine said:
     would rather be physically  addicted to heroin than alcohol as its easier to come off and less damaging belive it or not 
    Is that true? :astonished: 
    I remember reading that opiates are more aligned with human body chemistry than alcohol, and in theory if you had a supply of very pure heroin and got your dosages well managed, you could probably live a long and happy life. And that if you stopped the heroin, withdrawal might be unpleasant, but you could return to perfect physical health. Whereas alcohol will just slowly poison your body and you would never get back to 100%, plus the withdrawl can kill you.
    It worked for Keith Richards 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• @CloudNine absoloutly true heroin itsself is pretty inert, where as alcohol is a poison which damages everything it touches, the addiction to heroin has a much quicker onset, hence the belief its worse, However the main way people die from heroin is oversose which means your brain gets so relaxed it forgets to breath, where as alcohol the main way is your liver packing up so you drown in your own body whilst it simutaniously poisons itsself due to the liver not filtering toxins, 
  • mgaw said:
    Similar to me. I'm almost 39, I'm slim, I don't exercise enough but I'll change that once my personal life balances out. 

I drink too much. Mainly because the past year I've had a long 10 year relationship end, moved cities, moved jobs, bought a new build, got into another relationship which again ended terribly, on her part.

The only way to deal with the acute anxiety was a few beers. We aren't talking smashed all the time, but a few a night.

Last week I unfortunately had bronchitis and stopped all alcohol. It was ok! But the time spent resting meant my brain was on overdrive.

I do need to sort myself out but whilst I'm single and enjoying my mates, music, my newish job and trying to keep my head above the water, the alcohol takes the edge off.
    certainly relate to this, maybe look at ways to lessen your anxiety..

Without a doubt. Staying clear of cold manipulative potential partners seems the only way. 
  • I can't drink and play,  I literally forget how to play a chord.   Don't know how these people drink and gig
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I can't drink and play,  I literally forget how to play a chord.   Don't know how these people drink and gig

Same here - I'm a pretty ropey player at the best of times but even after one 330ml bottle of lager, my accuracy goes out of the window.

The run up to Christmas this year has been particularly boozy this year, and while I don't feel that bad after a night on the sauce, I've started to get a bit run down, have a sore throat and developed a tickly cough.... alcohol always screw my immune system.

• After a couple of years of heavy trade show drinking and way to many trades shows and then endless dinners and meetings.

my recent @60 medical results were not pleasant reading on any line.

So 6 weeks into the new dry healthy regime and things are looking up. Weight is falling off for a better diet and lack of beer and whiskey calories. 

Think its 10 years of being on the wagon for me if I want to still be getting shit done in my 60’s.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 843
    30 pints and a bottle of red = 1 Harley Benton.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited December 2019
    oh_pollo said:
    30 pints and a bottle of red = 1 Harley Benton.
    That's how my bassist got his Warwick. He had some pos low end thing and was spending a fortune on weed (like £240 a month). It was breakfast, lunch and a dinnertime thing for him. 

I suggested going dry, pointing out that if he had to have a drink in the morning then he'd be an alcoholic. Four months later and he bought a super nice Warwick.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    A few drams a week? I wouldn't call that excessive, unless a dram means a bottle? Im 40+ and I have always liked a drink, week ends only, maybe a bottle of wine, or a few beers , or both, now and again I like to drink spirits, whiskey mostly , and on a good night a half a bottle is easy.
    However, this last few years my hang overs are just brutal, for instance, last Friday night I drank 4 cans of beer, Saturday morning and I literally felt like a train hit me, surely thats not normal? It could be tiredness, or dehydration, or probably both, but they seem to be getting worse as I get older.
    wow, that is strange. is that a one off reaction?
    Not really , no, been like this for a while, I can drink a fair amount or I can drink a little, hangovers are always the same, harsh.
    I know a lot of people who drink 8 units of alcohol with little consequences
    Since that's a change for you, maybe it's because your tolerance is down or because your body has lost its capability
    I'd ask other people too, but 4 drinks seems too little to get hangovers if you didn't have them before.
    You could get a liver function test done I guess, I don't really know what to advise. I've heard people complain that if they admit to drinking a bottle of wine to a GP they get labelled as alcoholic, so it's hard to know what to advise.

The ethanol metabolic path has lots of things that could vary for someone, so not easy to predict.

Speaking personally, I think my alcohol tolerance has probably gone down 25% at 50+
    You'd probably have to evaluate if your change looks medically significant. I know women in their 50s drinking 2 bottles of wine a night with no obvious effects, and some people younger who get very tipsy on just half a bottle, it's hard to make generalisations
    Could be just tired and/or dehydration, I am usually one or the other. As an experiment, I will drink 4 cans tonight, and plenty of water as well, and maybe have an early night, see what's what in the morning.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • After a couple of years of heavy trade show drinking and way to many trades shows and then endless dinners and meetings.

my recent @60 medical results were not pleasant reading on any line.

So 6 weeks into the new dry healthy regime and things are looking up. Weight is falling off for a better diet and lack of beer and whiskey calories. 

Think its 10 years of being on the wagon for me if I want to still be getting shit done in my 60’s.

Good work! First few weeks are tough, great that you're already seeing the benefit!
  • A lot of the negative effects happen over a long period of time so you don't realise how much it is effecting you. You just except that is the way you feel. It's not just feeling physically ill either it effect how you behave, how you make decisions etc. It changes you. 
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    I would like to cut down to see if it helps my sleep, due to various worries I’m struggling with getting back to sleep in the night even though I go off all right. 

I don’t think I drink excessively, maybe share a bottle of wine 3 times a week, plus the odd craft beer, and 2 or 3 pints early doors on a Friday. 

Trouble is I do enjoy a nice beer or glass of wine, and although low or non alcoholic beers have improved drastically (such as Brewdog Nanny State), the wines are pretty awful. Anyone know of a decent low or non alcoholic wine?
    I love my brick
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited December 2019
    There's nothing better than a beer and guitar on a Friday night, but I have to have 2-4 to get to 'that place'. I think 2-4 beers is acceptable every other week (particularly after a tough one). I can go beyond, but it's tough now I'm over 30, but I will do it in good company.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    Schnozz said:
    There's nothing better than a beer and guitar on a Friday night, buy I have to have 2-4 to get to 'that place'. I think 2-4 beers is acceptable every other week (particularly after a tough one). I can go beyond, but it's tough now I'm over 30, but I will do it in good company.
    I feel you, I too find that a few drinks helps me enjoy playing at home.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Stavros said:
    I would like to cut down to see if it helps my sleep, due to various worries I’m struggling with getting back to sleep in the night even though I go off all right. 

I don’t think I drink excessively, maybe share a bottle of wine 3 times a week, plus the odd craft beer, and 2 or 3 pints early doors on a Friday. 

Trouble is I do enjoy a nice beer or glass of wine, and although low or non alcoholic beers have improved drastically (such as Brewdog Nanny State), the wines are pretty awful. Anyone know of a decent low or non alcoholic wine?
    I've not found one that isn't sparkling, but some of the non-alcoholic prosecco type things are ok. Big Tesco has a surprisingly good selection of alcohol free things, sorry I can't remember the names. But yeah, I do miss red wine...