I'm probably going veggie, maybe, but don't hold me to it.

What's Hot

Comments

• I would definitely say get into enjoying vegetables grains pulses etc in all there forms and tastes and avoid all the chemical labs stuff my daughter and her trendy vegan friends eat like Vegan Duck Vegan pulled pork Vegan Cheese all made in a chemistry lab more processed and synthetic and in my mind worse for you than the real stuff certainly not worth the money or calories.

try and remember it’s a choice about what you want to eat no a religious crusade people should enjoy what they enjoy. 

In my life I have enjoyed great vegetable and vegan dishes and  have also had great pleasure eating some exceptional meat. I never beat myself or others up enjoy what you enjoy. I am on a big health kick at the moment need to clean up my act and get back to  healthy choices so 8 weeks in I am enjoying veggie and vegan meals alcohol free.

weight cholesterol and all that stuff is bouncing back to the good zone
    i am sure I will stay this way for a good while it’s never been difficult to give up meat and for 10 years I never bothered at all. 

Just eat healthy and enjoy your food. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Peanuts are nice.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been veggie for 35 years.  Kids and now grandkid also veggie from birth.  Its second nature so dont really think about it.  We do like cheese though and tend to get through quite a bit.  When I made the decision it was all pulses and beans.  Now its more straightforward to find substitutes in all supermarkets.  They vary through so shop around.   Some people dont like it but quorn is versatile and pick up flavour well.  Its a good chicken replacement.   There are various fake bacons and again they vary.  Nothing will every taste like pig.  In my case it was probably 15-20 years before I tried any fake bacon and the time gap meant that it was good enough to make a decent sarnie on a sunday morning.   Dont expect to find replacement that are identical.  They are different.  Give it some time and see how your taste buds change.   

• For those who have gone vegetarian, what do you think the health benefits have been ? Have you felt better ?
    Almost immediately, I had more energy, and meals were filling me up for longer with less cravings for snacks. Also from a discipline perspective, going vegan (and sticking to it) meant I was eating far less poor quality food and cooking more fresh, nutritious meals.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    edited December 2019
    For those who have gone vegetarian, what do you think the health benefits have been ? Have you felt better ?
    Almost immediately, I had more energy, and meals were filling me up for longer with less cravings for snacks. Also from a discipline perspective, going vegan (and sticking to it) meant I was eating far less poor quality food and cooking more fresh, nutritious meals.
    I would wager on it is because you are actually looking at what you eat, thinking about what you eat and watching what you eat instead of "I am cutting out meat".  Because once you make that commitment, watching what you eat is now mandatory.  

Since you have to start reading labels, you start cooking your own meals from FRESH ingredients, BETTER ingredients as opposed to any food from the processed aisle.

You can easily, actually EASIER to have the same quality diet with meat.  Since you are not concerned about "does this break the rules?" 

I too cook practically everything from scratch, I sort of have to as I have no microwave and my oven hasn't worked in over 10 years.  It forces me to eat fresh, I can't reheat anything, can't reheat pasta or anything like that, I don't get takeaways either.  I have grown to like it that way.

The most processed meal I generally would eat would be some Covent Garden Soup.  I ignore the processed and frozen food aisle  in the supermarket totally.  Some days i would go completely vegetarian without knowing.  Cereal for breakfast, Egg Sandwich at lunch time and then  mushroom soup with some bread for dinner.  I would eat a banana around 11am and an orange about 3pm.

• ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    I've pretty much always cooked most things from scratch, I didnt give up (most) meat for health reasons though.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Good on you Emp, hope you stick to it, meat is a cruel industry. Well done for choosing not to be a part of the problem.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited December 2019
    In an average week, 3 or 4 of my evening meals are vegetarian. Lunch is usually vegetarian. For a while I've thought about going the whole hog and giving up meat entirely.

It doesn't take long to adjust to a non meat diet. When we met my missus was vegan. For the first couple of years we were together I was 100% vegan, it was just easier than cooking separate meals. 

I'm competent in the kitchen but no more. Make sure you have a well stocked larder, plenty of herbs and spices etc, and it's fairly easy to knock up something tasty. 

As others have said, If you have the occasional burger or whatever, don' t beat yourself up about it. 

Good luck Emp. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    If you can cook, being a veggie is a delight, and easy. 

I’d you can’t, you’ll end up buying a lots of heavily processed crap from the supermarkets. I’m convinced that heavily processed foods are worse for you than eating meat. 

Most of the vegan stuff in the supermarkets has a scary looking set of ingredients. Have you looked at the ingredients list on most packets of ‘wraps’?

Finally, be careful with Quorn. It’s a mould from soil grown in labs on a chemical slurry. It’s harvested, bleached, then sold to you as a heathy protein source.  I tried it once (30 years ago, when they marketed it as mushroom protein (they were fined for that)), I had an allergic reaction to it.   A lot of people do. 

Stick to fresh ingredients, you can’t go wrong. 
  • Hot sauce is your friend. If you enjoy spicy food then it's easier going veggie. Veg curries are lovely. Veg chilli is good. I can also highly recommend 'Vivera' shawarma kebab. Tastes great in a wrap and is high in protein and also contains iron and B12 - a healthy kebab! Their burgers are also nice. And remember beans, peas, nuts, peanut butter, hummus, etc all contain protein. You don't need meat. Good luck dude!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Mate, been waiting for you to do this, looking at your posts you could see it coming.
    I'm intrigued by this. I largely post nonsense on a huge variety of subjects - how did any of those lead you to foresee my move to vegetarianism ?! Many thanks to everyone responding.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Personally speaking I think the best thing to do is track down some recipes that are "naturally" vegetarian rather than trying to replace meat.

Lots of indian / middle eastern food in particular is veggie (and vegan) just by default rather than because someone has substituted meat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Oh me, oh my!! Here's to 100 pages of Emp's lettuce-eating adventures.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL, no, most of your output had nothing to do with it. It's just when I noticed you posting about things to do with animals it seemed like you were kind of there already, aware of the contradiction between your orientation to animals & continuing to eat them. The former just seemed too strong.
    That's all it was nothing amazingly clever or insightful. To be completely clear it was intended to be encouraging.
    I can't remember exactly, it might have been something you posted about seeing someone abusing a young seagull, I almost posted then to suggest going veggie, but it might have seemed preachy.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Cooking in bulk can be a good idea.

Things like curries, chilli's, tagines, pasta sauces etc.  Make sure there is something in the freezer when you can't be arsed to cook fresh. 
  • Hot sauce is your friend. If you enjoy spicy food then it's easier going veggie. Veg curries are lovely. Veg chilli is good. I can also highly recommend 'Vivera' shawarma kebab. Tastes great in a wrap and is high in protein and also contains iron and B12 - a healthy kebab! Their burgers are also nice. And remember beans, peas, nuts, peanut butter, hummus, etc all contain protein. You don't need meat. Good luck dude!
    My brother and sister in law are vegetarian but they also don’t eat spicy foods. They have a big ol’ house so family events are there and it’s plates of grey veg stew and cheese based snacks. Bleugh. 

Personally speaking I think the best thing to do is track down some recipes that are "naturally" vegetarian rather than trying to replace meat.

Lots of indian / middle eastern food in particular is veggie (and vegan) just by default rather than because someone has substituted meat. 
    Ours isn’t a fully vegetarian household but lots of one pot curries, risottos, pasta dishes, stir fries, dals. 

My kids eat meat but sometimes amazed when they eat elsewhere how meat based some people’s diets are and often choose seafood or vegetarian dishes instead as they find cheap meat dishes dull. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    LOL, no, most of your output had nothing to do with it. It's just when I noticed you posting about things to do with animals it seemed like you were kind of there already, aware of the contradiction between your orientation to animals & continuing to eat them. The former just seemed too strong.
    That's all it was nothing amazingly clever or insightful. To be completely clear it was intended to be encouraging.
    I can't remember exactly, it might have been something you posted about seeing someone abusing a young seagull, I almost posted then to suggest going veggie, but it might have seemed preachy.
    I see.  I took it as encouragement by the way.  The seagull thing - not me though.  If I’d ever witnessed any animal abuse that would be instant red mist time and the rapid dispensing of human abuse.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    I don't know about "going veggie", but here it seems to be happening almost by stealth.

We certainly don't eat as much meat as we used to - smaller portions as we've got older, probably - but also Our Maud (catering executive here at Schloss Nitefly) has taken to trying meat-free recipes from various sources.

Most of them have been very good, and the ones we've enjoyed most have generally been quite spicy, so the things mentioned above about seasonings and hot sauces resonate with us.

• Is this gonna be like the time you took 5 years to lay down some flooring? ;)

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    I have no issue with slaughtering animals but I think for environmental reasons reducing meat consumption to a couple of times a week is a good idea (I don't think going fully plant based is the best idea as far as land use etc goes, but I do think we need to take steps to remove intensively farmed meat from our supermarkets and restaurants).
    We try to have a few meat free days a week. I couldn't do vegan though (and tbh I think it's hard work and not very environmentally friendly to get a genuinely balanced vegan diet)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom