New case smell...

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
Does anyone else love it? 

Last week when I bought the American pro tele, it was the first time I've bought 1, such an expensive guitar, and 2 one that came with a case.. 

The frikkin smell inside that thing was unreal. 
Didn't feel as filthy as loitering near petrol pumps to get my fix, or the old skool new car smell that I'm sure isnt the same anymore.. 

Its probably the glue right? But my days it smelt great. Its kind of wore away now though. 
I would open it up at night just to admire it and have the smell rise up.. 

Do all cases smell the same? Or do different brands have different odours? 

This was a Fender elite hardshell case with the grey interior..the pink ones look like they'd smell sweet.. 

This is such a ridiculous fucking post.. 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pjfpjf Frets: 330
    You should try a full mahogany acoustic! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    pjf said:
    You should try a full mahogany acoustic! 
    Interesting! Do they have a thing?

I can already see myself sticking my nose inside the sound hole when I'm next in a store.... 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited December 2019
    You're unbelievable, get some help.

• dcgdcg Frets: 228
    I had a Gretsch 6121 Roundup; every time I opened the case, I was blasted by the strongest smell of vanilla...
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Not quite a new case smell, but I have an LP Custom that is around 30 years old. I can still smell the Gibson nitro on it, more so if it's been in its case for a while.
    I also used to own a PRS Hollowbody, and that had a *really* nice smell, kinda sweet smelling. Sold it about 13 years ago, and I can still picture it in my head, Wierd.

Adam
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Back in the day guitar cases, and probably guitars, used to have that smell of smokey rooms and sweat.  People today would probably find it revolting but that's what Rock 'n' Roll smelled like back then and, if you are of a certain age, that smell would take you right back there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    I love the smell of nitro finish, only one of my guitars has this smell and it makes it very distinctive to play.

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    Can't comment on a good smelling case but the roasted maple neck on my charvel smelt amazing when i first got it, it's sadly faded now though  :'(
    Musicwolf said:
    Back in the day guitar cases, and probably guitars, used to have that smell of smokey rooms and sweat.  People today would probably find it revolting but that's what Rock 'n' Roll smelled like back then and, if you are of a certain age, that smell would take you right back there.
    I only caught a few years of the good old days. Smoking inside clubs and pubs. Seems crazy now. 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Not as crazy as smoking on planes (that was still going on in the 90's)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Rickenbacker is the King of fragrances.
    edited December 2019
    Musicwolf said:
    Not as crazy as smoking on planes (that was still going on in the 90's)
    Yeah thats pretty mental. 

Theres an Air Crash Investigation episode regarding a (I think) 747 which if I remember had nicotine stain streaks around its tailplane somewhere on the exterior.. 

edit: China Airlines flight 611. 
    Had a bad repair and there were still cracks in the metal. The smoke from inside was forced out and over time stained the exterior of the aircraft. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Musicwolf said:
    It was always revolting even at the time. I hated opening my guitar cases a couple of days after a gig, and I still do when I come across an old case that still has it - or recently, an otherwise lovely old Gibson ES125 that still stinks because the insides of the guitar have absorbed it via the f-holes.

That's one of the best things that's changed since then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I salivate like one of Pavlov’s dogs when I hear the sound of latches opening... The nicest are my nitro Jaguars. Sadly my Rickenbacker, although in perfect condition, was 20 years old when I bought it so the smell was mostly gone. My Taylor still has it, despite being bought around 2001.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    This thread makes perfect sense to me.  I have a beautiful 94 pre-run McCarty. When it first arrived and I opened the case I was overwhelmed by the smell - not unpleasant - just different !   Every time I open that case and get out that guitar I get the same feeling !