Resonator Banjo Recommendations

What's Hot
Hi guys and girls.
I'm looking to buy my brother a Resonator Banjo for Christmas - He will be a complete beginner but is a very accomplished guitar player, he was playing around on some at a local shop on the weekend and he was already cracking out tunes with ease.
Budget is 200-300 and would be looking for a resonator style for country/bluegrass playing.
Should I go second hand or try my luck with a budget option? I live reasonably close to Eagle music near Huddersfield who I think have a fairly extensive range, I just have no idea what I'm looking for!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Budget is 200-300 ... I live reasonably close to Eagle Music near Huddersfield who I think have a fairly extensive range, I just have no idea what I'm looking for!
    Does the shop offer gift tokens? It might be wiser to buy your brother a token and leave him to decide how high to take the outlay to get something he will not quickly outgrow.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy’s banjos based near Faversham was selling Grafton banjos some years ago. They were fairly plain to look at but sounded leagues above similar priced ones with blingy appointments.
    i think this is similar to what I bought approx 10 years ago so price has gone up. 
    https://www.andybanjo.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_RBGRAFTONGEM

The Swamp City Shakers
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I'm looking to buy my brother a Resonator Banjo for Christmas

My god, you must really hate your brother (and his family and neighbours) =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3616
    edited December 2019
    I agree with what @Funkfingers says. Choosing an instrument is quite a personal thing. When we got our dog my son’s main present that year was just a picture of a dog. He was overjoyed and had the pleasure of choosing her, although to be fair she chose us!

EDIT also meant to say that Hobgoblin have a good selection on their website. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Turns out that Eagle Music does do gift tokens. No upper limit on the value was stated.

Musicwolf said:
    you must really hate your brother (and his family and neighbours) =)
    I have some sympathy with this attitude.

Picking up an unfamiliar instrument and finding that you can almost immediately get something out of it is gratifying in its own way. On the other hand, this is no guarantee that the interest or imagined usefulness extends far enough to justify a purchase.

I occasionally pick up a mandolin and bludgeon Losing My Religion to death. I have insufficient use for the instrument to justify investing in a good one. For me, the Roland VG99 COSM patch suffices.
    Be seeing you.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    When you can, and if you're still looking, head over to Eagle Music and talk to Matt. He's a decent guy who will certainly help you. All the best :)