Hum and fuse blow help

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Apart from all the other problems remember the damage electricity can do to your body goes up as voltage squared!

780 volts is a hell of a lot more dangerous if you cop it than 350 even 500. In fact unless someone was around to give you CPU I doubt you would survive.

I dare say all us old techs have had a jolt ot two from tellys and amps, even the mains but 700V+ is whole other ball game.

As for lots of power from EL34s? The old Mully spec shows 100W from two with Va at 800V. Don't think anyone has tried that for guitar amp and I doubt there are any valves made today that would live!

Be 'KING careful!

Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    @ecc83 ;

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the tips, I've spied some on ebay that I'm going for and a couple of siemens el34s that were originally in it, and working in a different amp that's running just under 700V, like I said before the E34L historically seemed to be well thought of on musicman amps, but I've heard bad things on JJ's quality of late, so I'm just gonna keep my eyes out for decent deals. 

I'm not gonna touch this thing plugged in until I know what I'm doing...I'll be sending it to the tech I use in Manchester but I have doubts as to whether they have bench room at the moment. Do you know any guys up my way?

Thanks for doing some research and advice on my behalf! Really appreciate the input. 

Best

Richard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    One tech I know of who is definitely OK with this sort of stuff is John Chambers at Champ Electronics in Nottingham - don't know if that's close enough.

http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html

Yes, that does say 2,500V on the plates :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    One tech I know of who is definitely OK with this sort of stuff is John Chambers at Champ Electronics in Nottingham - don't know if that's close enough.

Cheers pall, I'm going to hold out for my local tech for a few days cos he was the last guy that touched it plus I might be able to get a refund on the tubes. Nottingham is a bit of a schlep atm, but if it's not resolved in the new year I'll give him a ring. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Dave Hunter Notts again . We email each other from t2t. He is almost always slammed with work mind!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ecc83 ;

Cheers Dave, currently on the hunt for some 'they don't build them like they used to' valves
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    ecc83 said:

Dave Hunter Notts again . We email each other from t2t. He is almost always slammed with work mind!

Dave.

He's on here. @DJH83004 ;
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    ICBM said:

Lovely guy. I spent a couple of hours with him a few years ago when he rewound a transformer for me.
    Thanks @normula1 ; and @hywelg, I've found some safe troubleshooting techniques I'm going to have a go at myself. Before I take it to a tech. @ICBM I can run the amp at 450v so if it's just the tubes that have gone, I'm going to swap them out and rebias it to spec with EL34's I've got, and hazard using some E34L while I keep and eye out for some affordable wing c's or siemens el34s on eBay. Hopefully that'll tie me over till the new year!
    @ICBM @ecc83 I had some spare KT88 tubes so I stuck them in and turned it on...she works so no amp damage. 

I'm just going to run her on the low setting ie so the plate voltage is 450.

Are there any key reasons I should stop using the kt88's in the short term? I recall being told about impedance issues. 

Cheers guys

Richard