John Mayer Book - any good

Am struggling for ideas for a Christmas pressie and my daughter wants to know what to get me.

i am learning a few bits and bobs and enjoying it. Fancy learning some Mayer. Sometimes books can be a bit shit. Does anyone know if this is any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Play-Like-John-Mayer-Ultimate/dp/1495016978/ref=asc_df_1495016978/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309950375723&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3381798747491459780&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007030&hvtargid=pla-331443071184&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The guy that reviewed it doesn’t seem to think so
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    looks good 
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    Ha! I have this book and, incidentally, was given it for Christmas.

I think it's pretty good, but would make a few observations. First, a large part of it is just the tabs, which you can get for free online. Second, there's only five songs in the book (one of which is obviously a Hendrix song). It definitely helps if you like at least a couple of them.

What I found most interesting/useful is the material on technique and JM's playing style. There's a "discussion" of every song, as well as a section at the back of the book dedicated to tips and tricks that you can incorporate in your playing style.

Overall I'd say it's pretty good. Thinking about whether I'd pay £18 or whatever myself I'm not sure, but it was a nice present that I have gotten some use and enjoyment from. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    Thanks all 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024