The Robert Fripp String Quintet

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Well worth watching for when Fripp cuts lose around 6.10. Robert Fripp and Trey Gunn performing Firescape 00:00:00 and Moving Force 00:10:26. On the third track, they are in support of the California Guitar Trio's Asterias 00:12:26 It was filmed at Tokyo FM Hall.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As a life long Fripp admirer, I must admit that it took me a long time to appreciate his soundscapes, a very long time.

Now they've clicked, I appreciate the real magnificence of them.

Thanks for posting this @Fretwired , loved it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Fretwired Thanks for that. I'm currently listening to a live Fred Frith CD, which I just happened to come across today whilst looking to use up a voucher in my local HMV.  Fairly testing, but he's someone knew a bit a long time back, as he and I were exact contempories at Cambridge in the same College, and, in first year, my room was next door but one to his room.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @Fretwired Thanks for that. I'm currently listening to a live Fred Frith CD, which I just happened to come across today whilst looking to use up a voucher in my local HMV.  Fairly testing, but he's someone knew a bit a long time back, as he and I were exact contempories at Cambridge in the same College, and, in first year, my room was next door but one to his room.

If you think Fred Frith is challenging try Derek Bailey .. worth having a CD of his to hand if you need to get some unwelcome guests to leave .. :-)

And this .... 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Marc Ribot is worth checking out ..

He does play something with a tune ... occasionally .. :-)

• Fretwired said:
    @Fretwired Thanks for that. I'm currently listening to a live Fred Frith CD, which I just happened to come across today whilst looking to use up a voucher in my local HMV.  Fairly testing, but he's someone knew a bit a long time back, as he and I were exact contempories at Cambridge in the same College, and, in first year, my room was next door but one to his room.

If you think Fred Frith is challenging try Derek Bailey .. worth having a CD of his to hand if you need to get some unwelcome guests to leave .. :-)

And this .... 

True!! I've watched a few Derek Bailey videos in the past. Not a style that I particularly want to chase.

I saw Fred Frith do a solo gig at The Sage in Gateshead a couple of years back, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I saw Fred Frith in 2004 when I was living in NYC - played John Zorn's 'Stone' club.
    I can get down with a lot of avant-garde music provided the playing is excellent.

Frith isn't exactly a technician.
    I kinda find it amazing that someone with such limited skill on the instrument can say so much with it.
    He's a really interesting player.

I find Bailey mostly unlistenable.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Saw Fred Frith in Leeds either '89 or '90 (can't remember anymore) playing in John Zorn's Naked City band. The experience was    ....   interesting.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 586
    It is astonishing to see highly respected guitarists dismissed as charlatans. I find Bailey and Frith refreshing. They both use their knowledge and experience of the guitar to explore new ways of playing. There is more to the instrument than minor pentatonic solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom