Solo of the Month (SotM) #55 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited December 2019 in Making Music
This is the 55th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open ends at midnight 24th December 2019 (Xmas eve).

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud).

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm55-2019-12-comfy-bum

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

This one is based on a suggestion by @soma1975 in post dated November 16 during the previous SotM (link below).

Discussion: An attempt at an epic Gilmour'ish backing track.
Title: Comfy Bum
Tempo 64 bpm
Chords
[ Bm / / / | G / / / | Bm / / / | A / / / | Bm / / A | G / / F#m | Em / / G | A / / / ] x2
End on Bm

The backing track has some headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm55-2019-12

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Nice backing, good job. Will definitely make time this time. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Entry sent.  Seeing as it's christmas, here's a vid of me playing my entry lol ;)

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2019
    Entry sent.  Seeing as it's christmas, here's a vid of me playing my entry lol

Excellent. I think you've probably fitted more notes in that 1 minute solo than DG plays in 1 year

I'll post a playlist in the next few days.
    It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Entry sent.

I used a Ruokangas VSOP (Strat) on the Bridge (Humbucker). Mesa "Gratifier" Model Amp in Guitar Rig 5 along with some Psyche Delay, Reverb and Cubase Chorus.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Entry sent...

Entry sent...

Two entries in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    Cor...cracking playing! 

I shall have a go at this if I can warm the fingers up in time for the weekend.
    Be the same licks as last time but I'll try and get the bends in tune. Fair warning likes...
    edited December 2019
    Done mine. My HSS American Standard Strat on the neck pickup through Helix Native VST (a tweaked version of the Robben'ish preset).

Three entries are now in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    Nice backing, really good job.

I've recorded a banker in case I run out of time but there's a really easy bit in my solo that for some reason upon recording and listening back I discovered I can't play properly so am going to practice it and nail it and try again. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • A reminder of SotM. Less than a week to go.

Plus are there any requests for a style for next month's backing track?

It's not a competition.
    edited December 2019
    Just sent my entry. It's Grave Dilmour.

Could do another 40 takes and tidy it up or I could go pick up my kid from nursery at some point so this will do

Strat with Bare Knuckle Mothers Milks
    Gain Changer SR
    Strymon Volante in the background a bit
    Marshall SV20H and 1x12" with Greenback
    Sennheiser e906
    Presonus Interface
    Cakewalk DAW

No EQ/Compression/reverb fx etc. 

edited December 2019
    soma1975 said:
    Just sent my entry...

4 entries in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2023
    h
  • steven70 said:
    Done mine....

It's in the playlist. That makes 5 entries.

It's not a competition.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    just had a quick go at this and realised it should be mp3...does anybody know how to convert it please 
    Barney said:
    just had a quick go at this and realised it should be mp3...does anybody know how to convert it 
    Hey, what format is it currently in and what computer do you have (Mac or PC) ?
    steven70 said:
    Barney said:
    just had a quick go at this and realised it should be mp3...does anybody know how to convert it 
    I have mac...and I think I saved it as mp4
    edited December 2019
    Barney said:
    steven70 said:
    Barney said:
    You should be able to do in in iTunes...I have a mac mini and I managed to convert a wav

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4261423

You have to bring your mp4 into iTunes first. Then change the 'Import Using' setting to mp3 and covert.

If you don't have any luck, shout and maybe you can email me the mp4 and I'll have a crack at it. Be tmrw cos I'm off to bed with a mug of cocoa, such is my rock and roll lifestyle. But lemme know.

Cheers

steven70 said:
    Barney said:
    steven70 said:
    Barney said:
    You should be able to do in in iTunes...I have a mac mini and I managed to convert a wav

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4261423

You have to bring your mp4 into iTunes first. Then change the 'Import Using' setting to mp3 and covert.

If you don't have any luck, shout and maybe you can email me the mp4 and I'll have a crack at it. Be tmrw cos I'm off to bed with a mug of cocoa, such is my rock and roll lifestyle. But lemme know.

Cheers

Thanks mate ..Will have a little mess tonight :)
    Your rock and roll lifestyle is same as mine ...lol
  • Barney said:
    Ideally it should be mp3 to save me a bit of time. But as long as it's a format that's recognised by Reaper (which is most formats) I can convert it. Send what you've got and I'll see if I can convert it.
    It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    edited December 2019
    @Barney seeing as you've put it on YouTube simply Google "download to mp3 YouTube" and before you know it you've downloaded an mp3 of your video.   Apparently. Ahem. I've  heard you can do that. From some random person.  In a pub.  I can't remember which pub. It was ages ago.  In fact they might've been saying I could "downgrade my empathy if I choose" come to think of it. Hmmm