Coldplay 'bodysnatched' our sound, says Travis singer Fran Healy

What's Hot
mortmort Frets: 718
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50835864

Really? I thought Travis ripped off Teenage Fanclub on their first album. Sounds like sour grapes. 

I particularly find this amusing, like they invented it;

Healy says: "One of the things I noticed was Coldplay and the chiming guitar. I thought: 'Oh my god, they totally took Andy's sound'."
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    "no, WE'RE the most boring band"
    27reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • He's on the right track, but doesn't want to realise that most everyone preffered Coldplay's singer lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Much prefer Travis to listen to though I Chris Martin when he's fucking about being funny. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Coldplay combined Travis and Radiohead, wrote much better songs than Travis for at least the first 10 years of their career. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is like watching two accountants fight over a bookkeeping method. Nobody. Cares.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    What a Travis-ty.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I did used to think they were the same band ...

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I invented a rhythm. It has four beats to the bar, divided so that beat one is the strongest, beat three slightly less so and beats two and four equal and less than beat three. 

Some f***er stole it from me and now it's all over the place and I never get any credit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    When first couple of coldplay came out, I thought that chiming/delay sound was rather similar to Terry Bicker's/House of Love
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Everyone thinks they were an original. Travis did not invent a guitar sound. Just another musical twat who thinks the universe revolves around him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    axisus said:
    Everyone thinks they were an original. Travis did not invent a guitar sound. Just another musical twat who thinks the universe revolves around him.
    You do realise Travis isn't a real person yeah?
  • Dopesick said:
    axisus said:
    You do realise Travis isn't a real person yeah?

Durrr, Dave Lee!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited December 2019
    Coldplay combined Travis and Radiohead, wrote much better songs than Travis for at least the first 10 years of their career. 

I have to disagree here. I've yet to hear a Coldplay song that didn't bore the arse off me whereas Travis wrote some great songs.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23916
    Perhaps they can settle it by fighting to the death?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is like watching two accountants fight over a bookkeeping method. Nobody. Cares.
    I'd rather watch two accountants fight over a book keeping method than listen to Coldplay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Coldplay owe more to Embrace than anyone else tbh
  • They are both dull as ditch water.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    This is like watching two accountants fight over a bookkeeping method. Nobody. Cares.
    I'd rather watch two accountants fight over a book keeping method than listen to Coldplay.
    Speaking as an accountant I find your reckless disregard for correct bookkeeping to be reprehensible.

Not as reprehensible as Coldplay, however, who are to music what the deferred tax computation is to financial accounting. You don't want to spend a minute more than is necessary involved in either of them.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I don't dislike some Travis stuff, but I never really thought of them as having "a sound", just some nice little melodic songs.

Whereas Coldplay definitely have "a sound" but all their songs are boring shite.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    This is like watching two accountants fight over a bookkeeping method. Nobody. Cares.
    Speaking as an accountant I find your reckless disregard for correct bookkeeping to be reprehensible.

Not as reprehensible as Coldplay, however, who are to music what the deferred tax computation is to financial accounting. You don't want to spend a minute more than is necessary involved in either of them.

I think you got the wrong impression.

I have great regards for quality book keeping and listening to accountants discuss the subject could provide some fascinating insights, which I'd prefer immensely to having to listen to Coldplay.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom