Slide, open G

What's Hot
Can anyone talk me through the basics? Any online lesson recommendations? Fingers or pick? String muting? Got the guitar set up, just fine tuning it all.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Fine tuning will help. 

Andy Aledort does a great slide course on truefire
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    robgilmo said:
    Can anyone talk me through the basics? Any online lesson recommendations? Fingers or pick? String muting? Got the guitar set up, just fine tuning it all.

These are my generic tips for anyone learning slide - regardless of what tuning you're using.

1 - ignore advice on which finger to put your slide on - use which ever is comfortable.  I used to try and force myself to play with a slide on my little finger, but I switched to my ring finger and it improved my playing overnight.  Do whatever feels right to you.

2 - get your vibrato right - there's nothing nicer than good slide vibrato, and will help if your tuning is slightly off.

3 - adapt what you already know - try and play some of your stock licks with a slide, then try a combination of slide and fingers. Then try in different positions and different combinations of slide and fingers.  You're already halfway there knowing what it should sound like!

Hope that helps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    edited December 2019
    I have one more to add to Gulliver's post:  Always have whatever fingers available on the nut side of the slide muting the strings between the slide and the nut.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    In Open G Tuning, do not attempt Duane Allman or Elmore James licks. :)

Bottleneck guitar is similar to fretless bass guitar in that you need to judge pitch aurally rather than visually by fret position markers. Practicing in near darkness forces the issue.
    Be seeing you.