Hope right place ? Sitting position

Hi 
I hope this is the right forum for this question and sorry, if it has been asked a thousand times before.

I have tried all variation of adjustments when it comes to placing my guitar on my knee. None of which feel as though I have control of it. If for instance I the spiders web exercise and work my way up the neck, it tends to move away from me. I am not putting any undue pressure from my arm onto the guitar.

if I try the other knee then the neck becomes stop far away for me to play any sound from the 3rd fret down to the 1st 

This has been driving me nuts, for months and I put up with it. The thing is I don’t want to. So, does anyone have a hint or tip they could share 

Thank You to whoever replies 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh Yes, one other thing how the heck do you edit your posts. I have made glaring mistakes. Sorry 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited December 2019
    I always wear a strap sitting down, wear it a bit higher than for standing and make sure the guitars balanced nice without you holding it- don’t rest it on your knee let the strap do the heavy work and this frees both hands up. Give it a try, it works for me but everyone’s different.
    As for editing your posts the gear icon is your friend, press this, edit away and repost/save comment.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Wearing a strap is definitely a good tip, just helps hold the guitar for you a little. 

Maybe try to relax a little and let the guitar sit on you? Pretty much every player holds their guitar slightly differently, there is no 'right' way so long as it's comfortable and all the notes can be reached.

Play around with the angle of the neck, the angle the body sits on your leg etc. Your elbow wants to be around the the top of the bought for best strumming.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Oh, and a warm welcome to the forum! 
  • Thanks to all. I will have a play around and see if I can find a stance that I works. Unfortunately I don’t have a strap. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited December 2019
    ... one other thing how the heck do you edit your posts.

Tap the cog wheel icon, and select Edit
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    How to hold a guitar? It’s a personal thing. I would start my deciding how you want the guitar to sit on a strap whilst you’re standing up. Standing gives you more possible positions than when you are sitting. Then find out how to replicate that position, or as close as you can get, whilst sitting. As @PhilW1 says, using a strap whilst sitting might help. 

Personally I use my right forearm to help grip the guitar’s body and hold it in position. In fact I find it difficult to play a guitar which doesn’t have a sizeable rear upper bout. I like the idea of a Hohner cricket bat shaped guitar, but it bounces around whenever I try to play it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I have been through all of this too and ended up playing standing up. I find that the most comfortable for me and it avoids all the neck and back problems I was getting sitting.

Please go and get a strap though as that’s a must!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3611
    I play sitting down and found the most comfortable position for me is with the guitar on my right knee and right foot resting on a footstool. If you don’t have a footstool a small box or pile of books will work.