Do all PRS S2 models basically sound the same?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
There are a couple of nice looking S2s in the classified section ATM. They all appear to be dual humbucker guitars with coil split in various different shapes, so Gibson type tones rather than Fender? 

Is there any particular difference between the Starla / Single Cut / 22 / Mira in terms of tone? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    All two-humbucker PRSs basically sound the same :).

OK, I would be the first to say that in detail they don't - I had two identical ones other than one being a Custom and the other a Standard, so one had a maple body cap and the other didn't, and I could tell them apart even in a recorded mix... but realistically, no-one is really going to notice other than you.

I currently have a Hollowbody I and an original Swamp Ash Special in the workshop, which are about as different as two PRS models can be, but in practical terms if they're both on one of the plain humbucker settings it's hard to tell them apart through any sort of overdriven sound. (Though much easier clean.)

The original Starla does sound a bit different, but not that much - I haven't played an S2 so I can't comment on that.

Buy the one you like the look of best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    edited January 2020
    The Starla has different pickups - a hint Gretsch about them rather than the usual PAF style.

The finishes make quite a bit difference.  I much prefer the satin ones.   It's possible the thin finish lets the wood vibrate more freely than the thicker poly finish on the normal ones.  Once it's got a few months of playing on it, the neck feels lovely with the satin finish as well.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd suggest that the bolt on CEs are somewhat different, distinctly brighter and snappier than most other PRS offerrings. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited January 2020
    That does make things simple! I quite like all the models but really like the satin finishing. Thanks all.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    The starla and vela both have the same bridge pickup and it sounds very different to the S2 standard 24, but the Standard 22 sounds different again due to number 7 pickups. 

I prefer the starla pickups, they work best for clean and dirt. 

The 24’s pickups are typical PRS mid focused, the 22’s sounded most like an SG with Burstbuckers to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The S2 Vela has one humbucker and one Dyna-Sonic style single coil. 

My S2 Singlecut has Oil Cit Winterizer II pickups. Sounds Firebirdish. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    I have a 2010 Core Custom 22 Semi Hollow with 57/08s and it sounds VERY different to my 2018 DGT with stock pickups. 

I played both on NYE, DGT in our first set, CU22 in the second and the CU22 is by far the better sounding guitar of the two, a fuller, richer, more detailed sound all round. Good though the DGT is, particularly it’s neck and playability, tonally it is a bit disappointing in comparison. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There are an awful lot available used  :/

The odd Core model around at just over used S2 prices, they worth going for instead?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    To most people in the world all electric guitars sound exactly the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    There are an awful lot available used  :/

The odd Core model around at just over used S2 prices, they worth going for instead?

I actually preferred the sound of the Satin S2s that I had to the Core models.  Most of the PRS I had were older models (early 90s to 2008) and I know the newer pickups are better.

I do think the really thick maple cap is detrimental to the tone though.  The Gibson I have now definitely sounds better.  The top carve on the PRS is very deep, so the maple is very thick where the bridge anchors - much thicker than on a Les Paul.

To my ears, the PRS Standard with an all mahogany body does sound better than the Custom with it's thick maple cap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @Fuengi I obs have a bit of a vested interest in this conversation - however to be objective, I've owned a LOT of S2's over the years. They're great guitars - wonderfully built and a great sound straight out of the box. Most of the nuances have been described above detailing the differences between models / pickups. The MIRA I have available is wonderfully light and resonant - combined with the coil split of on the humbuckers it makes for a really flexible guitar
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Anchorboy said:
    @Fuengi I obs have a bit of a vested interest in this conversation - however to be objective, I've owned a LOT of S2's over the years. They're great guitars - wonderfully built and a great sound straight out of the box. Most of the nuances have been described above detailing the differences between models / pickups. The MIRA I have available is wonderfully light and resonant - combined with the coil split of on the humbuckers it makes for a really flexible guitar

Cheers @Anchorboy good to hear your thoughts. Going to try a few S2s out as soon as I get an opportunity to see which I like best.  
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    I think one guitarist can pretty much make most guitars sound the same anyway.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Get a satin vela and be done with it.  Fantastic guitars. 
    grungebob said:
    That might be the one, I looked at one in Andertons a couple of years ago and rather liked it. Need to rule out the 22 though.
    grungebob said:
    Out of interest, why do you rate the Vela so highly?
    edited January 2020
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Out of interest, why do you rate the Vela so highly?
    There’s nothing it can’t do. The pickups are exceptional at clean/grit and filth. They are very articulate and the guitar just stays in tune and plays amazingly. All the sounds are usable including the coil split/tap. 

I had a gloss one and a stain S2 24, I had to sell off most my stuff but a Satin Vela is the first guitar I’ll buy back when I can. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can only comment on the S2 Custom 24. The original pickups sounded too focused and metal for me. I replaced them with the classic JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) which was an improvement. It plays nice but it's still not quite there though and in terms of sound.

My HSS Strat sounds so much nicer even though the pickups are nowhere near as powerful.

It's not a competition.
    I can only comment on the S2 Custom 24. The original pickups sounded too focused and metal for me. I replaced them with the classic JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) which was an improvement. It plays nice but it's still not quite there though and in terms of sound.

My HSS Strat sounds so much nicer even though the pickups are nowhere near as powerful.

That's probably the reason it sounds better.

I think PAF style pickups with a DC resistance in the 8kOhm area have a nicer sound than a hotter pickup like a JB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited January 2020
    Personally the 2000s vintage CU24 that I bought a year or so ago is a lovely instrument to play, and the exceptional playability helps with any study/improvement stuff becasuse it's so playable all the way up the neck.  I'm with @stratman3142 ;; in that I find the pups a bit bright (focussed is probably a good term) and lack the butter that I'm after.  When xmas is over and i can steal a few hundred from the pot I'm going to buy a couple of alnico 2 based pups from Ash to put some warmth and salted devon in the sound   Might make the coil split sound less effective but I've got the strat for that anyway