2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot
Its a New Year and no doubt many have plans to be more active over the coming year.  Three years ago, there was a great thread on here for everyone, regardless of their fitness, to record and share their runs.  More importantly, it was a great motivation for everyone with people offering advice, support and help. 

Some kept tallies on their annual totals, others just recorded the weather, some trained for a marathon, others were on the couch to 5k.  Regardless, it was a great community and helped a lot people, me included to reach their goals.

So, here it is the 2020FVRC.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Let me start off with my January 1st run.  Lunch consisted of an all you can eat curry buffet, then followed that with a 3.5 mile run. 
    At least 3 times I felt the curry fighting to come back up!  
    Total for month 3.5miles. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3613
    Great idea, just finished a turbo session on the bike which doesn’t count here but plan to run more this year. 
  • Fine, you’ve convinced me. I’ll try couch to 5k again!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    I'd love to. But I have chronic adductor tendinopathy and even when I do stick with my daily physio exercises I can't run past 2.5k without the pain hitting like an anvil.

I used to run 3k every Mon-Fri morning before work and I loved it.
  • I used to run 3-4 times a week. These days it has been 3-4 times a month, if that. But I'm gonna start getting back to it coz I'm a fucking fat munter right now.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    Count me in.  I'm in training for a half marathon but have been slacking off a bit the past few weeks.  I need to get back to running 3-4 times a week and start increasing the distance.

First run of the year will be tonight.  Probably going to do 5k but I'll see how I feel after 2 weeks of no exercise and eating/drinking everything in sight.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm in, again. The story of the last few years has been inconsistency and just scraping enough training to run a half marathon under 2 hours. 5k times range from 26 minutes down to sub-23, all over the place.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I'll get involved in this, could we set up an endomondo/strava/etc group?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Got dragged out on a ludicrously hilly and muddy run by my brother on Boxing Day. Then a few days of slumping on sofas, so really felt the need to get out yesterday and ended up doing about 17km which is the longest run I've ever done -- albeit very slowly. Today my legs hurt.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I’m in. Haven’t ran since school and always used a dodgy knee as an excuse. The latter part of last year I worked hard on cardio and HIIT work. 

I did my first run in over 25 years this week. According to Strava I did 3.07 miles in 28.59 ave 9.25/mi.

Without knowing it I nearly did 5k in a not too shabby time. I wasn’t too knackered either so think I can improve on that next time. I had no expectations and simply recorded a ~ 30 min run.

I’m aiming to run twice a week to supplement my other exercises. Hopefully my knee holds up - I’ve had my gait analysed and bought decent shoes to try and mitigate damage.

Variety is the key for me I don’t want to take running particularly seriously just add it into my portfolio of exercise as it were.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I've run at least 7k per day since the 24th, mainly to escape my in-laws/kids. 
    I was part of the last thread too, it motivated me to hit 1,274,000 meters in the year which was great. 
    I'm waiting for hernia surgery at the moment, so there will be a 6ish week hole in my efforts... If the NHS ever decide to give me an appointment. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Having not run at all since I did my first half in September, I'm now signed up for the London Winter 10k in Feb, so it's probably about time to pull my shoes back on.
  • I'm in.  I recently signed up for my first half marathon (Cambridge, in March).

I'm aiming to hit a total of 1,000km during 2020.  Total so far ... er, zero.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I’m in ! Just back from a treadmill 10km at the gym . Only started running in October having been more of a power walker so having done a few 5 km’s out “in the wild” I’d quite like to do a park run 5k and build on that. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    King85 said:
    I'll get involved in this, could we set up an endomondo/strava/etc group?

I set a Strava group up for this a while ago.

or search for theFretboard

(I got permission to use the logo btw lol)

I'm not on Strava any longer though.

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    For those looking for motivation, search out your local parkrun. Free weekly 5km and lots of support. I was a parkrun run director for 4 years and strongly recommend it to push and challenge yourself with lots of support. Motivation and support is a key factor in running and keeping it consistent.

Registration is free.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I do 1 run a week, the 5K parkrun Saturday morning. I used to love long runs and I was pretty fast in my youth, but hip & knee arthritis means 1 run a week max now and I'm on borrowed time with that. Managed 22.50 twice last summer though not bad at 56 years old.

The Parkrun is great, such a mix of abilities, most not athletic by any means. It's very addictive. I've been going for about 3 years and I never miss one. My sister has NEVER been an exercise person, but after coming once she never misses one now (done 34), also my daughters never miss one (both on 17). 
  • I've run at least 7k per day since the 24th, mainly to escape my in-laws/kids. 
    I was part of the last thread too, it motivated me to hit 1,274,000 meters in the year which was great. 
    I'm waiting for hernia surgery at the moment, so there will be a 6ish week hole in my efforts... If the NHS ever decide to give me an appointment. 
    How do you do that without destroyzing your ankles or knees... or thighs... or ass.... or brain ??

Bye!

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    When you say "Virtual Running Club" - do you mean the running is virtual ?  In which case, I'm in.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Managed to get just over my 1,200km target for last year and hoping to do the same this year. 

I'm doing the Cambridge half in March.

Need to lose some weight as I'm getting really slow!