Gibson Melody Maker

What's Hot
Has anyone played/owned one of these?

http://aws2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Melody-Maker.aspx

Visually I think they look amazing and can be had for around £500 now. Just wondering if it feels like an over priced Epiphone or a bargain Gibson?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Should be good now it's got P90s.
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    I never had time for P90's and Gibson LPJR or melody maker until I saw Phil X play a GLPjnr with 1 P90 pickup. I bought one a few months later and was severely corrected! don't underestimate them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSvbYzZ3r0
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    I've a 2007 MM which has a single P90, tunomatic bridge and half a giant redwood for a neck. These look great.
  • @finest1 @normula1 I was hoping someone would talk me out of them! =)
  • The biggest criticism I have is that the finish comes off really easily- it's VERY thin nitro & chips if you look at it too hard! 
  • The biggest criticism I have is that the finish comes off really easily- it's VERY thin nitro & chips if you look at it too hard! 
    Probably suit me down to the ground then. I was looking at a TV yellow one on Reverb, the guys after £675 because it's "relic'd" but sounds like i could play it to that state in no time and save myself a couple of hundred quid!
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    and that 120th anniversary inlay (not for me, at least).
  • Babones said:
    I'm not overly bothered either way by it but the 2014 element ties in with my daughters birth year, at least thats how i'll sell it to the wife! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    edited January 2020
    I had one .It was very nice and I wish I had kept it .Not sure the pickups were the usual P90 though .Great for blues and stuff and light .Far better than any Epiphone I have played .I think they were plekked.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Babones said:
    I’ve got an Explorer with the 120th anniversary inlay, I’m fine with that but anything remotely fancy kind of jars on something like a Melody Maker, Junior, or Special which is supposed to be a stripped back, bare bones entry level guitar kind of jars to be honest...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    Probably suit me down to the ground then. I was looking at a TV yellow one on Reverb, the guys after £675 because it's "relic'd" but sounds like i could play it to that state in no time and save myself a couple of hundred quid!
    That's "optimistic" to say the least. I wouldn't pay more than £400-450, they're nice but £450+ is SG territory & I know which I'D buy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That's "optimistic" to say the least. I wouldn't pay more than £400-450, they're nice but £450+ is SG territory & I know which I'D buy. 
    Agreed :+1: 

• JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    The biggest criticism I have is that the finish comes off really easily- it's VERY thin nitro & chips if you look at it too hard! 

Have you looked at the LP Specials? £675 you're not far off.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited January 2020
    @JD50 ;The tributes are not my bag, cant stand symmetrical double cuts. Thats why SGs arent on the list.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    JD50 said:
    The biggest criticism I have is that the finish comes off really easily- it's VERY thin nitro & chips if you look at it too hard! 

Have you looked at the LP Specials? £675 you're not far off.
    I'm selling one of those in teevee yella
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited January 2020
    @JD50 ;;The tributes are not my bag, cant stand symmetrical double cuts. Thats why SGs arent on the list.
    Tributes? Double cuts?
    I'm talking about a second hand les paul special single cut p90s, specifically a 2016 Japanese propriety... there were one or two for sale on tfb ... I have one, brand new was £666.

Like this....

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/169253/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020

• RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    Mine has a single humbucking pickup and one volume control.  No tone control and it is a great guitar.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

if it helps I bought my GLPjr from gumtree £400. great condition, previous owner had it fret dressed, plays great! oh and cherry colour! my fave!!
    check these out. its the 2019 model. the pickup is so hot on this. check out the sound reviews on youtube, and you'll be placing an order!

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190319340833008--gibson-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-worn-cherry