Ngd.. but what is it?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    It ain't a Gibson with frets ends like that and a Phillips screw head on the pick-up height adjustment ???

Otherwise could be many options - Assume new with having the cellophane cover
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    Esp Ltd something?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    DrJazzTap said:
    Esp Ltd something?
    Ahhh tahts a bingo! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited January 2020
    I was thinking ESP too, as soon as I saw the top pic, based on the matt/satin black finish.  Nice, I've never tried one but they look like a good modern LP alternative.
    Initial impressions are that its not too shabby! 

Actually went for the matte black and gold because it will all wear... quickish.. 

Slightly weird volume layout.. the knobs are reversed.. closest to the neck pickup actual controls the bridge, and vice versa.. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    ESP can have marmite looks, but they're feckin' awesome guitars and the neck profiles are class.

HNGD!
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Never played a bad ESP, just bought one of their acoustics and it’s superb 

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    what pick ups are in this mystical axe of darkness that you wield mysteriously in the night?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    what pick ups are in this mystical axe of darkness that you wield mysteriously in the night?
    They are a duncan jb in the bridge and a '59 int neck! 
    The only flaw I can find is something that always irks me a little, and thats the e strings arent exactly centred/parrallel.. but neither are too off to affect playing.. its a visual thing that upsets me lol. 

Other than that, locking tuners, tonepros locking bridge and tail, ebony board, set thru neck, coil tap. Its a decent battle ready guitar. 

Still not sure on the yellow/gold binding, but it wasnt really an issue, I dont mind it.

Plays well though! 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Nice! I’ve been eyeing these up again! Really like the necks on them and the little refinements they have over a classic Les Paul. Does this one have the more rounded neck heel or is it more of a standard LP style?
    TTBZ said:
    Nice! I’ve been eyeing these up again! Really like the necks on them and the little refinements they have over a classic Les Paul. Does this one have the more rounded neck heel or is it more of a standard LP style?
    Its the rounded carve, so a 'set thru' they call it I think. 

I also wanted that haha! 

From my research, they overhauled these 1000 series vintage black duncans a couple years back. 
    Not sure it applies to the entire line though. 

The boards are now ebony with a 12th fret flag inlay instead of the model name, which is now just on the truss rod cover. 

The neck join went from set neck to set thru, which removed the traditional les paul heel join. 

This duncan version has an added push pull tone knob to tap the coils. 

The downside, if it is one, is that theyre now made in Indonesia not Korea, probably to compensate. 

But yeah the thin U necks are great. Not too skinny, not too fat, wide enough across the board. 

I may take it to Feline in the coming months to have the earvana nut fitted. Nowt wrong with the stock one, but y'know.. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2020
    That’s cool - I thought the Duncan ones only came in the full thickness and clunky Gibson style neck join option. Is the model name just an EC1000 Deluxe? Adding it to my mental list of guitars I must have
    TTBZ said:
    That’s cool - I thought the Duncan ones only came in the full thickness and clunky Gibson style neck join option. Is the model name just an EC1000 Deluxe? Adding it to my mental list of guitars I must have
    https://www.espguitars.com/products/20448-ec-1000-duncan?category_id=1963292-ec-series

Thats the exact one there, I've seen stores call it the ec-1000vb, ec-1000 vintage black duncan, ec-1000 duncan, but as far as the esp page goes, there are a few variations of the ec-1000, some with evertunes, others with pao ferro boards and abalone binding. 

I've gotta say, I certainly prefer the carved neck join, it still feels solid but not bulky or cumbersome. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:
    TTBZ said:

I also wanted that haha! 

From my research, they overhauled these 1000 series vintage black duncans a couple years back. 

I may take it to Feline in the coming months to have the earvana nut fitted
    They used to come with an Earvana as standard before the spurious Ernie Ball lawsuit

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

skunkwerx said:
    TTBZ said:

I also wanted that haha! 

I may take it to Feline in the coming months to have the earvana nut fitted
    They used to come with an Earvana as standard before the spurious Ernie Ball lawsuit
    Yeah was gonna say I seem to remember you saying before when I had the one on my ex-360 fitted! 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    skunkwerx said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    Esp Ltd something?
    Ahhh tahts a bingo! 

Congratulations! I was looking at these as a cheaper alternative to my grail guitar a black les paul custom. Nice looking guitar :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Very nice! I had the EMG-loaded version of this (I actually won it from Guitarist magazine) and it was a cracking guitar; so good in fact that I bought another one in purple :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Very nice! I had the EMG-loaded version of this (I actually won it from Guitarist magazine) and it was a cracking guitar; so good in fact that I bought another one in purple :)
    Its great! So far it's done what I intended it to do.. which Is make me plug in and play more along with songs and not faff about 'practicing' which usually entails pissing about with Fx and stuff haha. 

I actually intended to let it get banged up and not have to worry from the get go. Like my go out and play guitar (if I ever get out and play), rather than try and keep it mint etc. 

Figured the matte black and gold will look kinda funky once it starts wearing..

The explorer is great, thats emg loaded and whilst its a 360, its about 7 years old and korean made, and shit me the quality of it has got to be up with the 1000 series ones.. but it does struggle with neck dive, and I've been forcing myself to stand up and play which is something alien to me. 

The Ibanez is a 'd' neck, so its not baritone but longer scale than usual, so its in standard D tuning and what I use for playing along with cky tracks.. 

My tele is fantastic but, its one to keep nice and tidy, and its also a tele, so not too fitting for playing metallica.. 

This thing though, kind of does everything to a standard, fills the gaps in nicely! 

Only trouble is, I need a case for it!