What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Best of luck Mark.  
    monkey42 said:
    Best of luck Mark
    sev112 said:
    Wow. Best wishes in your next exciting phase of life and music :)
    Philly_Q said:
    Sorry to hear you're closing the shop Mark, although it was too far away for me to ever visit in person.  Glad you'll be maintaining a presence online and at the guitar shows.
    wesker123 said:
    Good luck with future endeavours  :)
    Best of luck Mark , was a pleasure dealing with you.
    Very best of luck, will be sad to see the shop go but as a few have said above totally understandable. 
    thebreeze said:
    All the best Mark. Enjoy the time it brings you.
    Boromedic said:
    All the best Mark, enjoy the semi retirement! 
    paulnb57 said:
    Sorry to hear you are calling it a day, but Im sure you have thought long and hard about it...
    Good Luck!, and enjoy your semi retirement...it’s great!
    sweepy said:
    A wise move imho, good luck with the future endeavour 
    mcsdan said:
    Sorry to hear but sure you've thought long and hard about it and making the right decision for you.

I've had a few emails with you in the past and always been a real gent. Thank you.

Wish you all the best for the future :)
    Wishing you a world of good fortune good man and hope to bump into you at the Birmingham Guitar Show!
    Thanks for the messages guys - I'll still be around on FB - At the Guitars Shows and probably some Reverb as well in due course - But the shop will still be open for a few more weeks yet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    jeztone2 said:
    Congratulations on bowing out on your terms. Best of luck with it all. 
    Sad news. As a fellow retailer (different industry) I know where you're coming from, good luck with whatever you choose to do in the future.
    fandango said:
    No surprise, but all the best in the next chapter ...... 

...... Pressed Rat and Warthog .....

Fez said:
    I for one will be looking out for your stalls at shows, all the best for the future.
    Sounds like more a "Congrats" event than an "I'm sorry" one. Good luck for the future and glad you'll be sticking around in the trade and on here. 

I've never bought from you (despite ogling a hell of a lot of your online stock) but by all accounts one of the good guys. Best of luck for whatever the future holds.
    Thanks for the messages guys - I'll still be around on FB - At the Guitars Shows and probably some Reverb as well in due course - But the shop will still be open for a few more weeks yet
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Private Collection:- So yes the shop will be closing down early 2020 – However I have been surrounded by guitars, for well over 40 years and intend to continue with this practice for some time to come, albeit in a semi-retired capacity – For the foreseeable future I’ll continue to buy and sell a discerning selection of used guitars, with the focus on quality and not quantity

[Donald Sutherland Invasion Of The Body Snatchers pic]

Bedroom dealer!

;)

It is something of a sad statement as to the future for small guitar retailers, but you're right to leave on your own terms and with the great reputation you've built up. Best of luck :).
    Yes I thought I might join the bedroom dealers one day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I can see me working from an office space in the near future, but not from home

Thanks for the comments and yes it is tough these days for smaller dealers, for whatever reasons, but as you say I'm going on my terms - Thanks
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations Mark, on a career based on superb quality of both service and product. A dying breed in the days of pile it high and sell it not that cheap. 

Hope to catch you at a few shows still. Enjoy your freedom! 
    Make sure you come and say hi if you make it to any of the shows - Hope you are keeping busy and well - Best wishes
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Best of luck Mark - it's been a while since I've had a run out to yourself in Ashbourne but maybe I'll catch up with you at a show sometime.

Cheers for all the PRSs!  :)

-Dave
    Thanks Dave and say hi to Dave for me when you next speak

Yes plenty of sales in the past - I can't recall 'their names' other than Kermit - But you know what I mean

Speak soon and best wishes
    tFB Trader
    42 years is what I call an innings.

Well played Mark, I consider you one of the Gentlemen of the game, and look forward to continuing to see you at the shows. It wouldn't be the same without the old guards. 

Huge congratulations on what you've achieved.

I dare say you are watching the match now - Hope you are both keeping well especially the good lady - Hope she is responding to treatment etc - Hope to see you both soon - Mark
    tFB Trader
    johnl said:
    sorry to hear you're closing but all the very best for the future.
    Mark, congratulations on making it to your pretirement.
    Of the couple of deals we had  you were always straight with good advice  
    Misty said:
    All the best for the future, good luck and well reserved!
    Wow... Good luck with everything!
    PetGerbil said:
    Good luck with your future endeavors.!

newi123 said:
    Sorry to hear that - never been to the shop as its a looong way from me, but spent many happy hours on your website!

Hopefully you'll still be an active member here, as the info you provide is always interesting and appreciated. 
    Best of luck Mark
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    But as I said, I'm not going away from guitars and will certainly be exhibiting at many shows in 2020 - Think it is 18 or 19 shows inc Birmingham
    To be honest, that sounds like an almost full time job in itself.

Spend Thursday sorting out what stock.  Friday travelling to the venue and getting ready.  Sat & Sun dealing with the showgoers, Monday recovering from the weekend.

That's 5 days, "18 or 19" times in a year, which I reckon equates to about  4-5 months of normal working weeks ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations Mark, all the best for the future. You’ll be missed, as one of the few ultra-straight and totally reliable guys around in the business. I think I’ve bought two guitars from you in recent years and the transactions couldn’t have been smoother. I’m sorry I haven’t got to visit your shop previously, it’s a bit far from me but never say never! I hope you enjoy your semi-retirement and I look forward to seeing you and catching up at a show or two in the next few years. All the best!  :)
    Thanks - Hope you are well 'n' busy - Yes I'm sure we'll still keep in touch via messages and at the shows - I'll always welcome a coffee at the shows - Say hi to Neil for me - Best wishes for 2020
    tFB Trader
    Ah both happy for you - and a little saddened - to hear this Mark. Funnily enough I stayed in Matlock the night before last and saw the sign to Ashbourne on the way back - and wondered if you’d be in the shop if I made a detour.

Glad you’re not giving up completely - let’s hope you’ll be a fixture at the shows for many years to come.
    It would have been good to see you if you can get across - Matlock is about 20 mins away - Give me a call if you are near a bouts again - Yes keep in touch and will hopefully see you at the shows in the near future - Best wishes
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    But as I said, I'm not going away from guitars and will certainly be exhibiting at many shows in 2020 - Think it is 18 or 19 shows inc Birmingham
    To be honest, that sounds like an almost full time job in itself.

Spend Thursday sorting out what stock.  Friday travelling to the venue and getting ready.  Sat & Sun dealing with the showgoers, Monday recovering from the weekend.

That's 5 days, "18 or 19" times in a year, which I reckon equates to about  4-5 months of normal working weeks ...
    In a perverted way, I like the shows - As always I do better at some than others, but you never know before the show if I'll be in having a coffee at the lonely cafe, then into the boardroom to be fired - Or if I've had a great day

But at least I know there are customers at the shows, hence a ready market place - The shop these days is so hit 'n' miss and no longer viable with the level of investment both in time and funds that is required to make it work - The shop still makes a profit, but I'm 60 now and probably a touch jaded, so with many other factors concerning retail today, then I'm glad I can bale out on my terms
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Mark
    sorry to hear the news but if you are bowing out (well half way at least) on your terms, then fair play To you. I still have my Strat which combined with the Two rock is sublime. I’ll pop over for a chat on the Sunday at the guitar show and make a brazen attempt to relieve you of some stock! 

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Good luck with your future endeavors.  I know what you mean about the shows being fun.  If I ever make them in when I'm back, I'll try to look you up. In the past I've always ran into someone I knew (or sometimes who knew me!).
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    All the best for the future Mark, i had a great time both times i came to your shop, especially leaving with a CS Strat last time. Your shop was always top notch in terms of inventory and quality, easily the best i visited in the UK.
    Cheers Rik

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Mark, really sad to hear you are shuttering..... however I’m sure I’ll see you at some shows in the future. Here’s wishing you all the best in your future endeavours 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    Nice one, Mark! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited January 2020
    Mark, It's been a pleasure being a customer of yours. Your selling style and ethos was a breath of fresh air, and always beautifully informative. I wish you all the best on the road ahead, and I hope to meet you at some point at one of the shows.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    best of luck for your future.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Enjoy when its time its time - shame because cool guitar shops are cool - but when its time its time enjoy ;)