Spec me a Bass Guitar

What's Hot
Hi, I am new to Bass but would like to get a good basic- intermediate piece. 

The only stipulation being that it needs to have a smaller neck than average as my first Acoustic was/hard to get across and Ihad to change it to a Sigma DMC2 which is perfect 

Could someone suggest a Bass that has a similar size neck 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Smaller as in short scale length or narrower at the nut?
    Be seeing you.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I have an Ibanez GSR200.  After trying a few Squires today it is definitely better and more playable than I though.  The neck is quite slim and although full scale, is easy to play.

I like a big chunky bass so am looking fir something else.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Jazz basses probably have on of the most playable necks imho, you won’t go too far wrong and the Squier versions are excellent vfm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank You 

i am sorry I didn’t make myself clearer in my first post. I am looking for a smaller circumference neck as I have quite small hands

One other thing, and I don’t know if you are allowed to request this but. what would be the best online teaching aid for Bass 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Thank You 

i am sorry I didn’t make myself clearer in my first post. I am looking for a smaller circumference neck as I have quite small hands

One other thing, and I don’t know if you are allowed to request this but. what would be the best online teaching aid for Bass 
    I went with Scott's Bass Lessons and found it an amazing resource.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Thank You 

i am sorry I didn’t make myself clearer in my first post. I am looking for a smaller circumference neck as I have quite small hands.

A Jazz bass or a Hofner Club Bass or Violin Bass would suit your requirements. All have slender necks, the Hofners most of all, plus they have a shorter scale length.

•  =) Thank You

What about  

Squier Affinity PJ Bass

Are these a reasonable budget instrument with a smallish size neck 
  • Take a look at the Ibanez Talman basses - they have shallow necks.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
     =) Thank You

What about  

Squier Affinity PJ Bass

One of these would probably suit your needs quite well as it's basically a Precision body with a Jazz neck (which are slim)
    And Squiers are good value and very playable. Try one first though.
  • proggy said:
     =) Thank You

What about  

Squier Affinity PJ Bass

One of these would probably suit your needs quite well as it's basically a Precision body with a Jazz neck (which are slim)
    And Squiers are good value and very playable. Try one first though.
    Thank You 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

The Squier PJ is definitely a good option.  There is nothing quite like a Precision sound wise.  It's the sound you hear on more records than any other bass.

If you don't mind the sound of the active electronics, the Ibanez Mezzo bass, with a 32" scale rather than the usual 34", is very easy to play.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Have you been out and tried a bass or some basses?

Scale length can be important - as can both nut width and neck depth. 

Also, you need to understand what sort of weight/balance you’re comfortable with as well.

When new to bass it’s def worth going and at least holding a few 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zollybosherzollybosher Frets: 0
    edited January 2020
    Have you been out and tried a bass or some basses?

Scale length can be important - as can both nut width and neck depth. 

Also, you need to understand what sort of weight/balance you’re comfortable with as well.

When new to bass it’s def worth going and at least holding a few 
    Thank You . I learnt to my detriment that this is the way to go. I was bought an Acoustic and I have trouble playing it. I recently went into a Music store and was completely overwhelmed with the choice. It’s pretty daunting when not only are you new but also do t really know what you are looking for eek!

Suffice to say I was able to pick a few guitars up and see how they felt and sounded which was great, however  when it comes to how they sound that  is all subjective until you get hours under your belt and explore the different tricks and you wizardry that the various models can do, The same I think can be said of Bass and probably why many newcomers ask or search for the most popular and go for that. It doesn’t mean they are the best suited for that person. This is where Music shops ( is high seem to be in the decline now ) come in

Sorry about the long post