Do all PRS S2 models basically sound the same?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    crunchmanTo my ears, the PRS Standard with an all mahogany body does sound better than the Custom with it's thick maple cap.
    I agree 100% - my ‘86 Std sounds superb... I’ve had a few standards and they’ve all sounded better than the maple topped PRS’s 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    cm01 said:
    crunchmanTo my ears, the PRS Standard with an all mahogany body does sound better than the Custom with it's thick maple cap.
    I agree 100% - my ‘86 Std sounds superb... I’ve had a few standards and they’ve all sounded better than the maple topped PRS’s 
    Yes, my Standard was much my favourite of the two as well. The Custom did have a more focused sound which was better for certain things though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    Like Sex.........if you close your eyes at the critical moment it will physically feel the same irrespective of partner
     The Starla is better looking so it turns me on more in the first place
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Dominic said:
    Like Sex.........if you close your eyes at the critical moment it will physically feel the same irrespective of partner
    Nope
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    Dominic said:
    Nope
    Agreed, absolutely not!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Dominic said:
     The Starla is better looking so it turns me on more in the first place
    As ever, we've probably got beyond the required answer at this point.  :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    Get a satin vela and be done with it.  Fantastic guitars. 
    Seconded.

I've got a satin Vela and it's great. The neck pickup, clean, especially.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • With the new S2 594 just announced, at least now you can have an option to choose an S2 that’s a shorter scale length. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    With the new S2 594 just announced, at least now you can have an option to choose an S2 that’s a shorter scale length. 
    They look very nice, £1800+ though.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I want that new singlecut! Don’t normally like the PRS sc shape but it looks right with a tailpiece & bridge rather than single stoptail.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    With the new S2 594 just announced, at least now you can have an option to choose an S2 that’s a shorter scale length. 
    I've just been looking at those on the PRS website.  Very nice... and a chance to get something with a Pattern Vintage neck at a more reasonable price.

I'm a bit gutted the S2 594 Thinline (which is a solidbody...) has a Pattern Thin neck.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    That’s verging onto ridiculous for S2 pricing isn’t it? But I guess with the price of Core and SE’s going up they must think there’s a market for them. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    grungebob said:
    That’s verging onto ridiculous for S2 pricing isn’t it? But I guess with the price of Core and SE’s going up they must think there’s a market for them. 
    For a US made instrument with a gloss finish it's not out of the way.

It will get cheaper.  If the pre-order price is £1849, then in 8 months time when everyone has them in stock, the street price will drop.  They will probably end up £100 cheaper than that.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    £1600 for the thin line at Peach so I’m out. SE for me then :)
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    I feel a S2 594 may end up in my house when they hit the second hand market... To join my S2 custom 24 and S2 Vela... 
    I like S2 guitars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I might need to raise a bit of cash.  Tempted to sell the R9 and get an S2 594.  Would want to try one first though.
  • sgosden said:
    I feel a S2 594 may end up in my house when they hit the second hand market... To join my S2 custom 24 and S2 Vela... 
    I like S2 guitars 
    I’ll be doing the same to pair up with my cu24  B)