Van Halen were amazing

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10644
Warning Sammy content, but this is awesome

https://youtu.be/HRwa0GUaTe0
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited January 2020
    I agree. I always enjoyed Eddie's rhythm playing more than the solos. It's a shame there's no live official footage from the Roth era.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    One of the two all-time great guitarists for me (the other being Hendrix) - people who showed what the guitar is capable. A damned fine drummer there too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited January 2020
    Horses for courses. I see plenty of over-performed widdling (no dispute on the skill level) but not much of an actual song. Feels all me-me-me**.

I'd take something basic but tuneful any day. Pistols/Stones/Purple/endless list.

Each to their own of course.

*** it's a stylistic choice of course, EVH has always seemed a decent and grounded guy in interviews.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    The riff he plays over the verse is clever, dropping the bass note while the other notes still ringing .. That Live without a Net era is probably EVH and the band at the peak of their powers 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    That was an insanely good performance. I haven't listened to them in years but there's no deny their amazing prowess and songwriting skills.
  • Awesome indeed. I love it.

It's not a competition.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    pmbomb said:
    Horses for courses. I see plenty of over-performed widdling (no dispute on the skill level) but not much of an actual song. Feels all me-me-me**.

I would respectfully disagree, in that I think that Van Halen were always about songs and EVH played for the song. I never felt that he was an indulgent egotistical guitarist, just a very creative one. Still, we can all have differing opinions!

They were an amazing band, both eras. I still play the Hagar era a lot, such a shame it fell apart. The one thing that bugged me with the newer lineup was the ditching of Michael Anthony for Wolfgang. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited January 2020
    I’m not a Sammy fan. Prefer classic EVH. IMHO Eddie is the best guitarist who has ever lived, and Van Helen the perfect rock n’ roll band.  If I’m ever down, it’s guaranteed the Diver Down will lift my spirits. 

When I think of Eddie, the solo to ‘Beat It’ pops into my head. Done in a single take, most of it is outside of the key, it sounds incredible. 

If I played guitar for a thousand years, I still wouldn’t develop the creativity needed to come up with a solo like that, on the spot. It’s utterly beyond my comprehension.  Though, I greatly appreciate it. 

A gifted guitar genius. 

I agree with @axisus. Eddie is about the song first, the exact opposite to Vai. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    TheMarlin said:
    I’m not a Sammy fan. Prefer classic EVH. IMHO Eddie is the best guitarist who has ever lived, and Van Helen the perfect rock n’ roll band.  If I’m ever down, it’s guaranteed the Diver Down will lift my spirits. 

When I think of Eddie, the solo to ‘Beat It’ pops into my head. Done in a single take, most of it is outside of the key, it sounds incredible. 

If I played guitar for a thousand years, I still wouldn’t develop the creativity needed to come up with a solo like that, on the spot. It’s utterly beyond my comprehension.  Though, I greatly appreciate it. 

A gifted guitar genius. 

Ooooh interesting - I’d say Eddie and Vai are about the song first, the exact opposite to Malmsteen!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    viz said:
    Warning Sammy content, but this is awesome

https://youtu.be/HRwa0GUaTe0
    Excellent.  My favourite VH period tbh. 

TheMarlin said:

A gifted guitar genius. 

Not sure your Bigsby could take the abuse. ;)
    pmbomb said:

I'd take something basic but tuneful any day. Pistols/Stones/Purple/endless list.

Each to their own of course.

*** it's a stylistic choice of course, EVH has always seemed a decent and grounded guy in interviews.
    This is an unfortunate take. The bass defining the progression yet contrasting with the guitar is wonderful. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2020
    Danny1969 said:
     .. That Live without a Net era is probably EVH and the band at the peak of their powers 

I've got that DVD which is a classic. Time for another listen/watch I think.

It's not a competition.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Where did Annette go anyway?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2020
    viz said:
    Where did Annette go anyway?

To New Haven Halen.

It's not a competition.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited January 2020
    Loved that.

EVH is one of the best rhythm guitarists on the planet who also happens to be a bit handy at soloing
    Great and clear guitar sound,too, and overall for that matter.

Musically, this was a good era and Michael Anthony was such an asset with strong bass playing and his vocals.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Heel said:

TheMarlin said:

A gifted guitar genius. 

Not sure your Bigsby could take the abuse. ;)
    Different animal, though a well sorted Bigsby might surprise with what it can do. Unequaled for a nice little wobble though. 

Born in the late 60’e, I played an RG750 as my main guitar for about 15 years (alongside a Steinberger for about 20 years) before I ‘matured’ into a nice comfy Gretsch. 

So comfy!  But perfect for me. I absolutely adore Filtertrons. It must be a manopause age thing....
    @TheMarlin Thinking about it, my Gretsch is my midlife guitar and the Strat was my younger self. I like to think I’m classier, glassier, smoother...yet still made in the Fender factory! Played a £3k Gretsch (hollowbody) recently and it was my favourite. Maybe one day. When I’m really old. 
    but why try harder when you're already perfect?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ & for JJ, that counts as energetic!