Help identify pickup model

What's Hot
Hi all

I have a Schaller humbucker with wires, green, white brown and yellow with bare soldered to its end, and 2/86-4- as a sticker on the back, not sure if this is a factory sticker

And a Seymour Duncan single coil that looks like it says LR on the back

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/gallery/SEavpZ7

Anyone know what these pickups are?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    edited January 2020
    RE the SD, it could be an 80s one. The R probably stands for Rocha , the name of the winder Connie Rocha. Could the  L be a 1? It could be an SSL-1 .

The Schaller pickup is probably from 1986 and pulled from a Kramer.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The Duncan is very odd, because it has a flatwork top with flush poles and a logo designed not to have a cover, like a Quarterpounder - and no other Strat/Jaguar pickup they make - but the polepieces are too small for that.

I wondered if it was some sort of hot Mustang pickup, but I can't find any reference. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that very early Quarterpounders had slightly smaller poles, but again I can't find anything. What is the DC resistance? That might help give a clue.

I know nothing about the Schaller, other than that every one of their pickups I've ever heard has sounded poor!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited January 2020
    As per its 3R ID label, the Duncan is an STR-3 Quarter Pound for Telecaster, Rhythm (AKA Neck) position.

Quarter Pounder is a registered trade mark of McDonalds. I never understand why people insist on misapplying it to Seymour Duncan pickups.

Of necessity, the rod magnets in an STR-3 are smaller than other QP models.

The Schaller humbucker might be easier to identify with d.c. resistance meter readings.
    Be seeing you.
  • AlexWilmotAlexWilmot Frets: 6
    edited January 2020
    So the SD gave back a reading of 15 and the Schaller a 3.5 per coil,

I gather that means the Schaller is trash
    As per its 3R ID label, the Duncan is an STR-3 Quarter Pound for Telecaster, Rhythm (AKA Neck) position.
    Can't be, it has the wrong shaped base and no metal cover - even if the cover had been removed, it's the wrong size flatwork.

But from the DC resistance it does sound like some sort of Quarterpounder.

I gather that means the Schaller is trash
    No, just fairly low output.

Gretsch Filtertons have a much lower DC resistance than that and sound great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited January 2020
    I suppose I could keep these for a Tele style build with the SD in the bridge and the Schaller in the neck

Or sell them
    ICBM said:
    it has the wrong shaped base and no metal cover
    The metal cover is a relatively recent addition to the STR-3. The originals came without it. The upper vulcanised fibreboard plate was about the same size as a traditional metal cover. It would have been a pretty tight fit through the cut-out in the pickguard.

ICBM said:
    it's the wrong size flatwork.
    Er, have measurements of the fibreboard plates, the rod magnet diameters and the distance between the mounting screw holes been provided? Those could prove enlightening. ;)

For example, the 2007 catalogue states that the magnet diameter on an STR-3 is 3/16ths of an inch.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    The Schaller is most likely a Golden 50

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited January 2020
    Funkfingers said:

Er, have measurements of the fibreboard plates, the rod magnet diameters and the distance between the mounting screw holes been provided? Those could prove enlightening.

For example, the 2007 catalogue states that the magnet diameter on an STR-3 is 3/16ths of an inch.
    The poles are 5mm apart from each other and the pieces are just under 5mm in size like 4.7 or something which would be 3/16ths of an inch

Mounting screws are 78mm from the centre of each of the screws
    AlexWilmot said:

Mounting screws are 78mm from the centre of each of the screws
    Definitely a Strat pickup - a Tele neck is 72mm.

It doesn't seem to correspond to any Duncan pickup I can find specs for.

The stated dimensions narrow things down to SJAG-2 and SSL-3 Hot for Stratocaster. I am yet to encounter either of these pickups with flush poles. The magnets need to protrude to locate the plastic cover.

Either the pickup has undergone a rewind or the upper fibreboard plate has worked unstuck and migrated upwards. Normally, they just curl up at the ends, like a British Rail buffet sandwich.
    Be seeing you.
    I’m certain the position of the flatwork is original, because it has a logo on it - they don’t if they’re intended to go under a cover.

I think it’s most likely to be an old and discontinued model, probably a rare one that was not made for long. I don’t know where I read about very early Quarterpounders having smaller magnets - which would technically make them Threesixteenthpounders anyway ;) - but it’s about the only thing that makes sense from the dimensions and winding...

edited January 2020
    The only QP model ever to use 3/16” diameter magnets was the STR-3.

On the Stratocaster QP flush pole pickup, the model number is SSL-4.

A Stratocaster pickup of high d.c. resistance, with 3/16” rod magnets and the model number 3 is an SSL-3 Hot.

The SJAG-2 is, to all intents and purposes, the same thing as the SSL-3.
    Be seeing you.