The Guitar Show 29th Feb & 1st March 2020, New Bingley Hall, Birmingham

What's Hot

Comments

• Adji said:

Roland, I feel your pain on 10-52, that's my main gauge of choice too!
    I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a set of 9-48...have to live with 9-46, but it's a compromise and 52's too much :(
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Adji said:

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a set of 9-48...have to live with 9-46, but it's a compromise and 52's too much :(

Maybe you should start a YouTube channel and get a string manufacturer to make you a custom set you can flog.  The formula needs an Aussie.  Maybe Octatonic would be up for it.

You could go the whole hog and change your usernames to digitalscreamhere and octatonichere.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oof. That's a bit on-the-nose :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Jason said:
    rsvmark said:
    @jason And I think Rich is there as a demo artist? 
    Yeah he is, weird co-incidence really, we work together at my other Job at BIMM*  

Neil at Haynes Guitars asked if he could have a slot on the live stage and sent me through a video link and it was Rich and Jason, he really is a monster player.

*Rich teaches guitar, theory, performance, techniques etc, I'm not allowed to teach guitar, mainly because my advice is along the lines of "you don't look cool enough, lower your guitar strap"
    He is a monster player and imho is a player who has his own voice on the instrument. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • RiftAmps said:
    @Jason , somehow I feel that my favourite part of the event is not going to happen in 2020..
    Oh, it’s happening. 

The jury is out on whether you’re invited though...

No, not that part, but the part I'm going to STFU about because something better has happened.

The Guitar Show 2020 is going to be even more awesome than the last.

• Adji said:
    Roland said:
    Adji said:
    As usual, D'Addario will be there
    Will there be bulk packs of 10-52s? They always seem to be left out in favour of lighter sizes.
    crunchman said:
    Adji said:
    Looking forward to it as ever.

As usual, D'Addario will be there and we'll have a few games with some great prizes, more coming soon...

Maybe a guitar.....maybe.....

Will you have deals on the normal strings that everyone uses, or just try to flog us the latest NYXL or other super-expensive strings?
    This sort of answers both your questions.
    Our primary aim is not to sell you guys stuff at these shows. That is what our retailers are for.
    We'll certainly be chatting about NYXL and XT and be running giveaways, have artist performing on the main stage and hanging at our stand, but no, we won't be there selling bulk packs.

The new XT's are superb. As are the NYXL's.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Adji said:

Curt Mangan strings will make you a custom set. Or so it says on their website. I think you have to order 10 sets at a time to do it though. They are excellent strings also.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Ooh! Need to decide which day to attend :)
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    "I've a new noise policy that will ensure more quiet times to try and curb the issues from 2019."
    can you elaborate please.

• JasonJason Frets: 1102
    tFB Trader
    All exhibitors will receive this information next week but basically 

more quiet times during the day
    if you are selling guitars not amps, headphone amps for demoing. 
    all on stand demos limited to 5 mins. 

It is policed despite what people think, I do have a dB meter, that is used. Most of the issues are caused by punters cranking amps before the stand holders can stop them. The noise is generally not very long but it’s replicated over 120 stands, so as soon as I get to one stand, another is doing it. A constant battle that is fought all weekend. 

Hope that helps

Jason
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    Thank you, most helpful.
  • Or, to put it more succinctly, this is how I imagine @Jason's day going:

<space for hire>
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Exactly like that :-)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    Jason said:

It is policed despite what people think, I do have a dB meter, that is used. Most of the issues are caused by punters cranking amps before the stand holders can stop them. The noise is generally not very long but it’s replicated over 120 stands, so as soon as I get to one stand, another is doing it. A constant battle that is fought all weekend. 

Hope that helps

Jason
    Good to hear about the noise reduction plan.  I bought a guitar at the show last year but we had to go outside to complete the transaction - it was just impossible to talk, the stall holders were getting a bit fed up from what I gathered. I soon tired of the noise and left early. 

Ticket bought and looking forward to this year's show. 

Chris
    "I soon tired of the noise and left early" 
    Me too,I told my wife I wouldn't  go this 
    year, but needs must.
    tFB Trader
    Chris.B said:
    Jason said:

Hope that helps

Jason
    Good to hear about the noise reduction plan.  I bought a guitar at the show last year but we had to go outside to complete the transaction - it was just impossible to talk, the stall holders were getting a bit fed up from what I gathered. I soon tired of the noise and left early. 

Ticket bought and looking forward to this year's show. 

Chris
    Thanks Chris

The irony is, the companies that complained to me the most about the noise, were (yep) the companies I had to tell to turn it down, I also have to explain that ears aren't in ankles and maybe bringing the amps up a little would require less volume
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I didn't go last year but will definitely be there if Bernard Butler is on the live stage. 
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    I didn't go last year but will definitely be there if Bernard Butler is on the live stage. 
    Sunday afternoon. Really nice bloke that I completely doorstepped at an education event. Practically followed him up the road talking about the show, right until he gave in :-)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Jason said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Sunday afternoon. Really nice bloke that I completely doorstepped at an education event. Practically followed him up the road talking about the show, right until he gave in :-)
    You were doing the Lord's work @Jason. ; He's been a giant influence on me as a guitar player and a super nice guy too. 
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    Jason said:
    Adam_MD said:
    You were doing the Lord's work @Jason. ; He's been a giant influence on me as a guitar player and a super nice guy too. 

I'm just determined that The Guitar Show doesn't turn in to a cliched widdlefest, I want variety, I don't listen to one type of music, I don't know why other shows (NAMM etc) focus on shredders and nothing else, I think he is a unique and talented player, plus he is a great songwriter, IMHO, if there is no song, it doesn't matter how good you are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom