Other people's guitars you've played and loved ... but never been able to buy.

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9982
edited January 2020 in Guitar tFB Trader
When I was a kid my elderly uncle had a Hofner ... no idea the model ... big, blond jazz box. I was in awe of it ... when he died a few years ago the guitar was auctioned off before i knew it was for sale ... I would have bought it just for sentimental value.

When I was about 17 a mate of mine had the first genuine SG I'd seen, It was probably a 1966 model (or close.) and it was glorious to play. I coveted that guitar like hell!

When I started working for a music shop at about 17 also, our amp repair guy had a lovely old Gretsch Country Gentlemen that I played at every opportunity I could. That probably lead to me having the modern Gretsch I finally bought in the summer last year.

One of my first 'good' bands featured the vocalist/blues harp player from the 'Fifth Dimension' and he had a 1961 SG Junior that he used mostly for slide. Lordy that guitar streamed and growled. I'd still like to get a good SG Junior.

I was playing in a metal band when the other guitarist got one of the first Jem 77s in Desert Sun yellow I'd seen in the flesh ... it was a glorious guitar, and whenever I could I had a play ...

I'll end the list with a romance that came true: I'd serviced and looked after a guy's Les Pauls for quite a few years ... and always loved his 70s reissue Les Paul Special (sunburst) ... a super expressive and when needed, very raucous rock instrument. I always bugged him to sell it to me, and finally he did ... it became my main gigging guitar for quite a few years till I stupidly sold it.   

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    A record producer friend of mine has a couple of Trussarts at his studio, and I would genuinely be happy to sell all my guitars in order to buy the Tele version he has, but he ain't selling.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    A record producer friend of mine has a couple of Trussarts at his studio, and I would genuinely be happy to sell all my guitars in order to buy the Tele version he has, but he ain't selling.  
    I've sold a few Trussarts over the years - They baffle me in many ways - All the talk about tone woods etc and a Trussart defies all of this - I love the vibe of them especially how they look - Most of the Tele style models I've played have  a great neck with regards to the feel - The LP style then maybe a touch to wide/flat feel for me, but still acceptable

They possess shed loads of character - Could I own one as my only guitar ? - Probably not - Could I own one as part of a collection ? - Yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    It was @hubobulous with his Suhr Modern 80s Drip. One of the best guitars I've ever played and it looked so disgusting that it was beautiful. Couldn't ever afford one though. 

Feline Lion. It was a Ferrari red Lion which I think a member of the board has now. The best Les Paul type guitar ever, I loved it but again couldn't afford it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    p90fool said:
    I've sold a few Trussarts over the years - They baffle me in many ways - All the talk about tone woods etc and a Trussart defies all of this - I love the vibe of them especially how they look - Most of the Tele style models I've played have  a great neck with regards to the feel - The LP style then maybe a touch to wide/flat feel for me, but still acceptable

They possess shed loads of character - Could I own one as my only guitar ? - Probably not - Could I own one as part of a collection ? - Yes

I played a Trussart Tele a while back and it was excellent. You think no way will it sound like a Tele, then you plug in and turn it up and it's completely a very good tele.  I'd have one!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

I played a Trussart Tele a while back and it was excellent. You think no way will it sound like a Tele, then you plug in and turn it up and it's completely a very good tele.  I'd have one!
    agree about the Tele character - I like the version with a TV Jones Filtertron in the neck

But the LP flavoured models do not sound like an LP - Far more tight and focused voice - They have their own voice but probably closer to an SG than an LP
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I played Andy Strange's '56 Les Paul Junior at a session in 2007 maybe. I have first refusal this year but the value has increased significantly since then, I don't know if I'll manage when the time comes
  • wineredwinered Frets: 78
    I haven't actually played it but James Oliver came up to me a few years ago and put his black 1960's strat in my hands. The neck felt like it had been made specifically to fit my left hand. Doing a runner with the guitar, leaving my battered 70's version behind crossed my mind. Luckily I can't run very fast. And recently I saw John Buckton playing what I think was Paul Kossoff's old Les Paul. That was pretty special.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    First decent guitar I coveted was. 59 Tele. Years later I bought myself a 62/63 Tele which later got nicked  :/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Tried a Santa Cruz Pre-War D once.  That was stunning.  Found the same model in a shop but it didn't seem quite as good.
  • A friend of mine has a '62 Strat that is utterly sublime.

I'm still not convinced that everything old is good - but that guitar is a peach.

...unfortunately I couldn't buy it even if I could afford to (which I can't) as his son's got dibs.

Fair enough...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1088
    Don’t know if it counts for this thread but I played a used r8 in a shop when I was on holiday in Scarborough that was absolute heaven. Everything I wanted from a guitar. When I got home my lp standard felt like a plastic toy, so much so that I sold it and bought a strat. Better to have my ideal strat than a les paul that I wish was something else. Saving for an r8, but the one from the shop has since gone. 
  • This bad boy! Original 59 burst, had it for a week, it lived up to the hype but would never be able to afford it! I shot a video with it, search YouTube for ‘jimmy plays burst’. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    @fretfinder had a wonderful sonic blue strat I could have had in a trade and it still haunts me. Clearly if he had any taste, he’d still own it ;)

I was a member of rare guitar club for a while. They lent me a 65 strat. It was utterly exceptional. 

Finally, new kings road had a totally wrecked 63 sunburst tele I played. When people say heavy relics don’t look real, they should have seen this guitar. It was way overpriced in my view at the time, but it totally smoked every other tele in the shop  (and they had a lot and I played most of them). Even with the silly price tag, I wish I’d got it
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2020
    Bernie’s Beast.. couldn’t buy for obvious reasons!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5595

My guitar teacher had an '88 PRS Cu24 which I thought (and still do think) was gorgeous at the time - it was the first PRS I saw in the flesh and the first PRS I played.  It was finished in a rare black/red burst too which was only done for one year, it had all the birds and bling and although wasn't a ten top it probably would be if it rolled out the factory today.

It was a lovely guitar but back then I definately cared more about what guitars looked like than I do now.  It's the only blingy PRS I lust after.  It's rather relic'd now after 30 years of professional use but still a lovely guitar.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    A mate of mine has a beaten up 88 standard tele with messed up paintwork on the back where someone tried to relic it badly, pickups have been changed to bare knuckle country boys, best feeling and sounding tele I've played.

@peteri let me play a 64 strat  at water rats which was great, the guitar I coveted most was his 330, not sure what year it was,  @lovestrat74 sat and played it finger style into a blackstar modelling amp I seem to remember, just sounded utterly fantastic. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    @IvisonGuitars - Neil has a gold Tele (cant remember the year) which is an absolute beauty.

I'm sure he will fill us in on its glorious specs. One of the best Ive heard and played...
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @IvisonGuitars - Neil has a gold Tele (cant remember the year) which is an absolute beauty.

I'm sure he will fill us in on its glorious specs. One of the best Ive heard and played...
    Ha! Theres a growing list for that one Waz, everyone to a man, who have played it have asked if its for sale!

Huw Price can probably do a better job of describing it than I: 

https://guitar.com/review/vintage-bench-test-1965-fender-telecaster/

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • My mate had a 70s LP Deluxe that he installed full-sized humbuckers on. Was the only LP I got close to liking.