Oil City Pickups and Moibus Guitars in California

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978

Unveiling the latest creation from Moibus guitars in Southern California ... Featuring our Neodymium Neo-X-Breed pickups that mix alnico and neodymium for ultimate punch on the bass and warmth on the treble.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    It’s really nice to see innovation in guitar technology. I look forward to trying neodymium myself, even though it’s probably not suited to my style of guitars and playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    It’s really nice to see innovation in guitar technology. I look forward to trying neodymium myself, even though it’s probably not suited to my style of guitars and playing.

Neos when used in a hybrid form are very adaptable. I have a PAF style, low output version, as well as the more powerful version fitted here. The advantage is total lack of flubbyness in the bass end.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Beautiful pickups as ever and the guitar is a stunner.

Is there any chance of posting up a video for the guitar if/when one gets made?  I'd love to hear what such a pickup sounds like.

Good to see some designs that aren't just the same old PAF's/S&T types....
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6593
    Congratulations. Great to see that you've got the opportunity to get your stuff further afield. Despite being very happy with the humbucker equipped guitar I have, I'm really looking forward to hearing how these sound. 
    tFB Trader
    Beautiful pickups as ever and the guitar is a stunner.

Is there any chance of posting up a video for the guitar if/when one gets made?  I'd love to hear what such a pickup sounds like.

Good to see some designs that aren't just the same old PAF's/S&T types....

Hopefully Kris at Moibus Guitars will be putting up some demo clips in the near future. We will also be having a Neo-X-Breed equipped guitar at the Birmingham show :-)
    merlin said:
    Congratulations. Great to see that you've got the opportunity to get your stuff further afield. Despite being very happy with the humbucker equipped guitar I have, I'm really looking forward to hearing how these sound. 

Thanks mate :-) We seem to be doing rather well in the USA of late for such a small company.

We really think that hybrid magnet arrays are a significant step forward in pickup technology. Allowing 'best of both worlds' solutions, and involving less compromise than traditional designs. We've been doing hybrid magnet single coils for ages: our Wapping Wharf being a very successful example, using alnico 2 and alnico 5 ... it wasn't too much of a leap to translate the concept into humbucker design.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    May i ask what the price of these neo-x pickups is likely to be? Apologies if its on your website already and ive not found it.
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    May i ask what the price of these neo-x pickups is likely to be? Apologies if its on your website already and ive not found it.

They are not officially released for public sale yet (that will be very shortly). They should be around the same price as say, a pair of our Blackbird humbuckers.

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Looks awesome, I'm a sucker for a modern teles and the pickups sound very interesting.
    I have a few neodymium pickups am quite a fan.
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    Looks awesome, I'm a sucker for a modern teles and the pickups sound very interesting.
    I have a few neodymium pickups am quite a fan.

These of course conquer the neodymium issue of a bit too much treble ... I also do graduated field neodymiums, that use tuned length magnets for each string to minimisze string pull :-)

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Kalimna said:

They are not officially released for public sale yet (that will be very shortly). They should be around the same price as say, a pair of our Blackbird humbuckers.
    Cheers Ash,
    I shall look out for them :)
    Adam
    tFB Trader
    For those of you with instagram ... check out Mobius Guitars ... there is some footage from NAMM of various people playing the new Mobius with our Neo-X-Breeds ... seems to be causing some smiles :-)