New duo: electric and acoustic

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
Just starting working with a new singer and have our first gig booked in Feb. I'm currently doing it all on an acoustic (so no backing tracks) but pondering doing a few tunes on an electric (my Tele is prob best in this situation) .

Is there anyone else swapping between the two? Any experiences of similar? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Not in a due situation but I swap between electrics and acoustic in some band situations. Apart from the guitar itself you need to consider how it will be amplified. Simplist is to have something like an HX stomp (or your amp simm of choice) and go direct into your PA. Otherwise you end up with another amp/combo to lugg about. Having both permanantly plugged in would work as they reguire separate treatment, then just a sturdy stand so access is quick and easy. The only downside I can see is some active electro acoustics need the plug pulling to save battery drain, if this is you the ability to silence the input on a footswitch/tuner is desirable.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I used to play with an acoustic duo but I used electric as I don't like acoustics. You can add a lot more flavour with an electric and it's less dull
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I've done it, I ran both through the same pedal board into a Tech21 blonde and straight into the desk. The acoustic had a soundhole pickup rather than undersaddle which probably helped not needing an acoustic DI or anything. The other option I considered was a bigger pedal board and two chains one for electric into the blonde and an acoustic one going into a Fishman pre-amp but I decided against it on the grounds of simplicity and less messing around with soundcheck. 
    Going direct to the PA is definitely the easier option for both instruments.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Hmmm..  I have a helix Lt so can do that
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Danny1969 said:
    I used to play with an acoustic duo but I used electric as I don't like acoustics. You can add a lot more flavour with an electric and it's less dull
    You can with an acoustic too, it's only limited by feedback if you use too much distortion :). Magnetic pickups work better than piezo, or a combination of the two. (ie just not piezo alone.)

I've often used an acoustic for small gigs where it's necessary to be less overtly 'rock' - mostly for appearances, I used the same sorts of effects as I would on electric, and often even an electric guitar amp. It probably helps that I do play clean most of the time on electric anyway.

But then I always thought the whole 90s "Unplugged" thing was more about appearances. Almost all of them were fully plugged in... and Kurt Cobain still used his Boss DS-2 and a Fender Twin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I had ran an acoustic and a Tele running throu a HX stomp with different patches for both. one right input one left input. So no unplugging mid set. Worked fine until a school boy error, I turned the monitor up to get a nice bit of feedback before launching into the river boat song but forgot the acoustic was still plugged in. Rather than my controlled harmonic feedback I ended up causing the acoustic to feedback through the PA made an awfull din! not really the impact i was after! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eric_CEric_C Frets: 52
    I use one main guitar cable to an MXR ab/y box..then run ‘A’ acoustic out straight to PA and the ‘B’electric goes to a Boss ME-80 then straight to PA.
    works a treat for me 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Adrian Legg used to put mercury tilt switches in his guitars so that they switched themselves off automatically when placed vertically on a stand. 

Probably overkill, and extremely confusing if he ever sold any of them with one fitted!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    p90fool said:
    Adrian Legg used to put mercury tilt switches in his guitars so that they switched themselves off automatically when placed vertically on a stand. 

Probably overkill, and extremely confusing if he ever sold any of them with one fitted!
    That’s clever. I can’t see why it would ever be a problem unless you play with the guitar held vertically...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson