Jazzmaster and P90

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
What is the difference between a Jazzmaster pickup (generally speaking as I know there are probably several!) and a P90 pick up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Totally different....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Thanks for the link, I will have a look.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Perfect video, explains exactly what I was after.

Many thanks @JD50

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    SNAKEBITE said:

Many thanks @JD50

Although if you want a slightly more Jazzmaster flavour from a P90 guitar you could fit a Gibson P90s, which is the slug pole version, similar to some of the very earliest P90s from the 1940s. 

Here's one I pulled out of a 2015 Junior, and it's one of my favourite ever pickups.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Just to confuse matters, some of the pickups issued by Fender under JM plastic covers are almost entirely unlike the traditional design.

For example, on the current Am Pro model, the bobbin plates are the normal size and shape but set further apart to accommodate a coil that is about the size associated with a Telecaster bridge/Treble pickup. 

Somebody I know has changed to Curtis Novak pickups. The difference was considerable. He described the stock Fender Am Pro units as sounding like a fat Bluesy Stratocaster. 
    Be seeing you.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Just to confuse matters, some of the pickups issued by Fender under JM plastic covers are almost entirely unlike the traditional design.

For example, on the current Am Pro model, the bobbin plates are the normal size and shape but set further apart to accommodate a coil that is about the size associated with a Telecaster bridge/Treble pickup. 

Somebody I know has changed to Curtis Novak pickups. The difference was considerable. He described the stock Fender Am Pro units as sounding like a fat Bluesy Stratocaster. 

Ditto the Fender Japan pickups, basically Strat pickups in disguise.
  • p90fool said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Many thanks @JD50

Although if you want a slightly more Jazzmaster flavour from a P90 guitar you could fit a Gibson P90s, which is the slug pole version, similar to some of the very earliest P90s from the 1940s. 

Here's one I pulled out of a 2015 Junior, and it's one of my favourite ever pickups.

P90F, do you know what kind of outputs the P90 & Goldfoil have?  Do they match reasonably well for output?  What pots do you have both?  I remember reading you used a 250k for the volume, 500k for the tone right?  Is that for both?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    @earwighoney a bridge P90ST matches a neck Mojo Goldfoil perfectly in terms of output and tone, allowing both pickups to excel with the same amp setting. 

It's a broadly similar match to say, a Fender Broadcaster with a Strat neck pickup, which makes for a perfectly balanced, versatile guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    @earwighoney a bridge P90ST matches a neck Mojo Goldfoil perfectly in terms of output and tone, allowing both pickups to excel with the same amp setting. 

It's a broadly similar match to say, a Fender Broadcaster with a Strat neck pickup, which makes for a perfectly balanced, versatile guitar.

Thanks for the info P90F.  I think you have worked out a pretty bombproof combination of pickups for both, but the slug P90/GF isn't a million miles away from a Coodercaster combo (yours has a few advantages though). 

The P90ST really does sound superb, one of the better sounding P90's I've heard - always difficult to tell from a YT video for compression but it seems to not have the midrange bump of some P90's but has a clear and balanced response across the ranges.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I just put together a Jazzmaster from parts, and went with the Kinman Jazzmaster pickups - a pair of the Surfmaster/Brightmaster range: http://musictrack.co.uk/kinman/jazzmaster/brightmaster.html

I've not got any experience of other JM pickups, or P90s, but I love the sound from the Kinmans - they sound awesome.

R.
  • JD50 said:

Ditto the Fender Japan pickups, basically Strat pickups in disguise.
    I’ve recently swapped the pickups in my 2002 crafted in Japan Fender Jazzmaster for a set of Fender 65 Jazzmaster pickups. As you say the Japanese pickups are just Stratocaster pickups in a Jazzmaster cover. The new Fender pickups are amazing, exactly what I expect a Jazzmaster to sound like.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited May 2021
    Henrytwang said:
    I’ve recently swapped the pickups in my 2002 crafted in Japan Fender Jazzmaster for a set of Fender 65 Jazzmaster pickups. As you say, the Japanese pickups are just Stratocaster pickups in a Jazzmaster cover. The new Fender pickups are amazing, exactly what I expect a Jazzmaster to sound like.
    I have a pair of those pickups in the AVRI '65 JM that I acquired in a trade with Harry Seven last May. I had planned to change to Duncan Antiquity pickups at the first string change but grew to like the stock units.

UPDATE
    I eventually upgraded to Duncan Antiquity 1 pickups. The fuller sound was more to my liking.

I now have to decide whether to sell the AV65 pickups or seek a budget JM in which to install them.
    Be seeing you.