2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2020
    Just been out and wanted to recommend this to anyone that's in need of a running belt of some sort.

https://flipbelt.co.uk/products/flipbelt-classic/

I've tried a few other belts and found them to rub or bounce around but I don't even notice this when I'm out.

I also recently got some Hoka Cliftons as ifI been looking to try some for a while and so far they've been great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Mark_R said:
    Did the local parkrun in 23:38. A 3-mile warmup really helped. 
    Thats a damn decent time for a Parkrun.  Never done the adult Parkrun (Ive ran 50 odd childrens parkruns with my daughter), I hear the adult ones are quite busy and tough going?
    Yes they can be. Most end up congested. If you want a PB then you may have to forget etiquette and start from near the front. I want to get consistently sub-23 this year, and see what happens. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27472
    Fine, you’ve convinced me. I’ll try couch to 5k again!
    Have you started yet @guitargeek62 ?

I’ve just done day1 of week2.  I used to do a fair amount of running, but that was a few years, and a few KGs ago.  Not sure that I can do anything about the years, but hopefully the KGs will shift if I make it through to the full 5k ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I’ve just done day1 of week2.  I used to do a fair amount of running, but that was a few years, and a few KGs ago.  Not sure that I can do anything about the years, but hopefully the KGs will shift if I make it through to the full 5k ...

Good for you man. 

If you are doing C25K don't be worried about repeating a week if you need to. I certainly did.
    Going OK so far. I have some sort of tendon niggle on the bottom of one of my feet, and I'm reluctant to give it too much rest. I've been managing a run every other day, and I've just done 2 days straight so let's see.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Another 3.1 miles after work last night. Different route with more inclines slowed me down a bit!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    5k, 5.5k and 7.5k so far this year, with 2x 45 mins sessions on the cross trainer as well. Going to do some pace work this evening, then aim for 10k on Saturday - will be first time I've done that distance in some time.
    TTony said:

Good for you man. 

If you are doing C25K don't be worried about repeating a week if you need to. I certainly did.
    Cheers @monquixote.

Did you keep yours going?  IIRC you were quite successful when you did it a while back.
  • Going OK so far. I have some sort of tendon niggle on the bottom of one of my feet, and I'm reluctant to give it too much rest. I've been managing a run every other day, and I've just done 2 days straight so let's see.
    Is it the long tendon which runs from your heel to the front of your foot?  I had problems with that for a while - apparently it's called plantar fasciitis and is common in runners.  I found it helped to massage it using a ball like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Massage-Trigger-Fitness-Relieve-Circulation/dp/B07JJGLWCH

(Also you can get ones without the spikes which you may prefer ... or just use a golf ball)

I haven't suffered with it since - but of course it could be a coincidence.  YMMV and all that.

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Monday's run was skipped due to a migraine but I'm playing catch-up now and have just done the run I'd planned for yesterday.

4.5km of interval training. Managed to pickup where I left off over a month ago and didn't feel too wiped out at the end. Ankle feels fine but I'm going to keep the support on until I'm 100% sure it's healed.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

Good for you man. 

Cheers @monquixote.

Did you keep yours going?  IIRC you were quite successful when you did it a while back.

Yep generally I try and run 100km a month.

It's been great for me.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Even in miles, that’s an impressive distance!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

Afraid not! I'm not remotely into the habit yet, will make a start tonight though. :)
  • I'm up to 30km now. Did 40minutes weights last night, and then a 30minute jog after. Just gonna keep trying to do this each week a couple of times. See where I get.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I started the year on Jan 1st with a new 10k PB (48m15s so 7:46min/mile), but now I'm back at work the shower is out of order so I can't do my lunch time runs  :'(
    But yesterday I had a bit of time so got out for my longest ever run, which was 10miles at 8:38min/mile. I'm hoping to do my first half marathon in 2020 so feels like a good start although I was finding it hard by the end.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    BigMonka said:
    I started the year on Jan 1st with a new 10k PB (48m15s so 7:46min/mile), but now I'm back at work the shower is out of order so I can't do my lunch time runs  :'(
    But yesterday I had a bit of time so got out for my longest ever run, which was 10miles at 8:38min/mile. I'm hoping to do my first half marathon in 2020 so feels like a good start although I was finding it hard by the end.
    Well done on reaching 10 miles.  If you can do 10 miles, you can certainly do a half marathon.  There will be plenty of half marathons taking place in early spring, ahead of the marathon season so book it now while it still seems a good idea!
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Ran 8 miles yesterday lunchtime, lovely sunny day to be out running along the Thames.  Pretty fast too, average 7:26 per mile, might have pushed too hard as there is some muscle in my left leg that does not want to work today :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm very good at virtual running.

Actual running I hate with a passion, and I have tried.
    Going OK so far. I have some sort of tendon niggle on the bottom of one of my feet, and I'm reluctant to give it too much rest. I've been managing a run every other day, and I've just done 2 days straight so let's see.
    Is it the long tendon which runs from your heel to the front of your foot?  I had problems with that for a while - apparently it's called plantar fasciitis and is common in runners.  I found it helped to massage it using a ball like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Massage-Trigger-Fitness-Relieve-Circulation/dp/B07JJGLWCH

(Also you can get ones without the spikes which you may prefer ... or just use a golf ball)

I haven't suffered with it since - but of course it could be a coincidence.  YMMV and all that.

To be honest I’m not sure, seems to be something more in the heel though. I’m well into minimal running, I did a half marathon in sandals last year with no issues. Then I decided I needed a shoe option because my feet got cut a bit in the wet, so I’m in inov8 flite 195s now. It’s not the arch for sure, my arch has been strengthened after about 6 years running with no support. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Another 5.5km tonight.

Rest tomorrow and a longer run on Sunday.