thinning the herd - so to speak

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I have settled on three .A Gibson Midtown ,a parts caster  Strat with a Fender roasted maple neck I like and a really tatty tele made out of Squier Joe Trohman neck thats got a seized truss rod nut  and other  cheaper makes castoffs..They all have about 1 0- 12 radius necks .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting that we all have our own stock control and recognition policies.
    Sometimes I count them with my eyes closed  - that always helps
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Not just guitars; freeing yourself of a lot of unnecessary stuff is very liberating. A few years ago I went through a life change that resulted in me being able to fit all my worldly possessions into a storage unit not much bigger than two phone boxes.

I wouldn't wish the journey I took to get to that point on anyone, but the end result was a pretty good feeling
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    I had 6 guitars when I decided it was much more sensible, and musically beneficial, to go to just one guitar.  At the moment I've got 8 which seems like progress.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    I like the idea of owning fewer guitars and amps but could never go to just one of each. Makes sense to always have some kind of backup.

The other issue is that a couple of my guitars have sentimental value (50th birthday pressie from Mrs9000, and one bought with inheritance money from my dad) so regardless of whatever else I buy these two will never be sold. As much as I think I’d like fewer guitars, the truth is I’ll probably always own four or five.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    if the current promised sales go ahead I shall be down to two - now to pay attention to the amplifiers and speaker cabinets gathering dust ...
  • At one stage I was at 9 guitars... then sold 7 of them before moving to the UK,
    had collected all those guitars based off of "but If I wanted this or that tone" 

but now my attitude is the you can only play one at a time and moving into a one bed flat with a partner just stresses the need for a low number with storage,

But I've just bought a 3rd as a project  =)
    And I've just bought a partscaster body
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    just bought another Telecaster :) unstoppable GAS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm well aware I have to much stuff and would dearly love to thin down but I can't sell my first ever, the partscasters and self builds will never realise what I think they're worth, and of course I need to have a bass, acoustic, 12 string (acoustic), classical and mandolin...

On the plus side, I'm not one for amps and pedals: Vox ToneLab SE for the stage and a Blackstar Fly for home. But I do have a lot of band PA and lighting too.

Rich210 said:
    Don't be taken by Marrie Kondo, she's never played a guitar.
    She says you should hold your stuff and keep things that "spark joy" and that's kinda what got me into this mess in the first place. =)

I have another guitar arriving in a couple of hours.  :o
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Sorry wrong thread ,  thought was more about the Royal Family!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Problem i have is twofold. I like having/buying/making guitars, and a lot of what i have is made by myself/sentimental so extremely unlikely to sell.

Of the 'bought' guitars : 
    LP Custom (18th birthday gift, strong memory of my Dad, now dead)
    Brook Tavy (personal inlay of the beach we scattered my Dads ashes)
    Ryder LP - love it, not gonna sell
    Playet Strat - 'bought' for me by my two young sons at christmas
    PRS SAS - would sell, but 2nd hand value crap and my boys love it
    Vintera mod50s Tele - boys helped me pick it out (thanks, GG Glasgow for your patience)

All the rest (3 elec, 3 ukes, 1 bass, 1 acoustic) made at Baileys or at home.

Id love to raise money for more purchases, but homebuilds have no value, and almost everything else has sentimental value. I realise some folk see instruments purely as tools, but i dont.

So, no. Not gonna cut down :) (and i have another Brook and several homebuilds on the way too!)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I am up to 6.

Recently I thought about thinning the herd but realised that the ones I have are there for a reason and that is because I wanted them.

They are all different, and I tend to find myself picking up the one that reflects what I am "into" at present.

At the moment I am really appreciating The Reverend Horton Heat, so the gretsch is my go to.

A couple of years ago I was going to sell the Gretsch as I hadn't really bonded with it. Had I done so I would have regretted it immensely and hankered after a new one.

Pointless.

Umless something dire happens financially I am going to stick with what I have.

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I'm well aware I have to much stuff and would dearly love to thin down but I can't sell my first ever, the partscasters and self builds will never realise what I think they're worth, and of course I need to have a bass, acoustic, 12 string (acoustic), classical and mandolin...

On the plus side, I'm not one for amps and pedals: Vox ToneLab SE for the stage and a Blackstar Fly for home. But I do have a lot of band PA and lighting too.

Rich210 said:
    Don't be taken by Marrie Kondo, she's never played a guitar.
    She says you should hold your stuff and keep things that "spark joy" and that's kinda what got me into this mess in the first place. =)

I have another guitar arriving in a couple of hours.  :o
    That's a fair point! She did indeed say that, nD-1 and n+1 stands. I've got a CIJ Jazzmaster I got from Johnny Roadhouse when I was 14 for the sum of £299 hard to think now it's probably worth £800-900, probably one of the few more standardish guitars that has doubled it's price in 15 years. I'd never sell it, especially now it's loaded with creamery hand wounds and about to get rewired and generally thoroughly serviced. Still one of the nicest Jazzy's I've ever played...somethings go to our graves, or a lucky child ;-)
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    thank you all for your comments, an interesting collection of views and experiences - everyone seems to have concentrated on the guitars in their collections - do many of you have amplifiers and speaker cabinets which are only really suitable for stage use sitting in the corner not being used but being held onto just in case?