Line 6 HX Effects one expression pedal for Wah AND Volume

What's Hot
oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 86
I have two expression pedals connected to the HX Effects. I have the wah set so it is switched off when in the heel position and switches on when you move it. I use the other expression pedal for volume. Ideally I would like one pedal to do both jobs - mainly to save space and weight. I have looked at the Mission Line 6 Helix pedal with toe switch but am told this does not work with the HX Effects apart from the fact it is really expensive and weighs a lot. Currently I use two Roland EV5s and those alone have saved 2Kg from my old dunlop wah and volume pedals.

I was wondering if I could use one pedal by building a toe switch into the pedal so that it would control an A/B box (I would put this inside the single expression pedal) With the switch in one position it would connect the pedal to expression input 1 for the wah and with the switch in the other position it would direct it to expression input 2. I would have to do something like set the wah to turn off when it stays in the toe down position for one second - then I could press the toes switch and get the volume control perhaps.

The only other way I can see it is to use a built in Audiofront MIDI expression unit to control the switching of the effect with a toe switch but I am loathe to add more things that need power to my pedalboard.

Any help much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    I have no idea if it would do it, but the Boss EV-30 has two inputs for pedal 1 and pedal 2, so in theory there's the possibility that you could assign the pedal outs independently but have a single controller. The only bit I can't figure out is how you tell the pedal of the two outputs to use at any given point in time, particularly on the fly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    This looks like it's halfway to what you're trying to do, might be helpful.

https://line6.com/support/topic/26725-toe-switching-with-an-external-exp-pedal/
  • shuikit said:
    This looks like it's halfway to what you're trying to do, might be helpful.

https://line6.com/support/topic/26725-toe-switching-with-an-external-exp-pedal/
    Funnily enough I found that about an hour before you posted your reply. it uses both EXP inputs but I reckon you can wire with a resistor so that a switch just fools the one input that the heel is down - set the wait time to low and there you go - off/on switch. Will have to investigate in the new year.
  • Tried experimenting with a resistor but it looks like the HX FX is waiting for a sweep of values to head to 10k and then use that as a signal to turn off.I think this is the answer: https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    can't you just assign one switch on the HX  ie off = Volume pedal, on = wah? appreciate its an extra click but in the scheme of things isn't that complicated? 

• Needs to be like a real wah
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited January 2020
    You need the mission line 6 Helix expression pedal. I believe it has 2 inputs plus a toe switch to switch between the 2 functions. So it should be able to go from volume pedal to wah pedal when you rock it foward and press the switch. 
  • Hi - seen that but trying to achieve this by only using one of the inputs so will have to be MIDI. Oroginally I was interested whether you could use a switch to fool the input into thinking the pot was at full heel travel by showing it 10k with a switch so that when it is set to tun off at heel position it would do so with a switch - but I don't think it will. The only other way of doing that would be for it to be switched at the heel position perhaps but I think that would be hard to activate.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    I use a Dunlop Volume X. Much better than the Mission stuff as the pedal sweeps better and more naturally. I'm selling a spare if you want one at a good price. 
  • I use a Dunlop Volume X. Much better than the Mission stuff as the pedal sweeps better and more naturally. I'm selling a spare if you want one at a good price. 
    Interesting - could be the answer - fit a switch to this and use that for wah on and off - how much do you want for it?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited January 2020
    I use a Dunlop Volume X. Much better than the Mission stuff as the pedal sweeps better and more naturally. I'm selling a spare if you want one at a good price. 
    Interesting - could be the answer - fit a switch to this and use that for wah on and off - how much do you want for it?

I'll take £60 delivered if you want. Comes boxed. I can send you pictures and show you my feedback thread here and ebay profile (over 400 feedback 100% positive, mostly selling). Let me know!