Eminence red coat the governor.

What's Hot
shadyshady Frets: 252
edited January 2020 in Amps
Anyone know if the above is any good for home use in an open back 1x12, or is it too close to a V30 and too shouty and aggressive for loud house volume? Found a reasonably priced example and I have chrimbo cash burning a hole in my pocket. Got an eye on a greenback also which seems to be considered best for domestic guitar noises.

Whadja reckons? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Sounds nothing like a V30, despite what the marketing bumpf says.

I think they sound great at low volume but really come into their own when turned up.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    edited January 2020
    Ha - nice one, marketing bumpf gets on me tits. I know YouTube is not a great indication as they all sound different, but some bloke put one in his Fender Mustang and it sounded good to me. The Eminence vids are also OK, the red fang sounded awesome but are eye-wateringly expensive. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I use Governors, both in  1x12 and 4x12 cabs. I've never really used a V30 so cant compare the 2, but i like the Governors. Seem to work pretty well for anything, but as Riftamps said they really come into their own at higher volumes. Perfectly good for low volume home use though. 

Thanks for the input fellas. Just ordered one, hopefully £60 well spent and should arrive on my birthday next week! 
    edited January 2020
    Well, slap my bald head and twist my nipples if it hasn't just arrived. That was bloody quick. There is a sticker on the magnet that says "This product is not for retail sale and is subject to the warranty provided by the enclosure manufacturer", which doesn't worry me but suggests it was destined for a cab. It also arrived in a Celestion Gold box, which raised an eyebrow in a good way

Anyway, it's clearly brand new but I'll let it warm up coz it's bloody freezing and the magnet is collecting condensation. The neighbours are out and Mrs Shady is at work...hmmm...
    It's good. The sound of it was changing loads during the 2 hours of loud playing time I had, still more breaking in to be done. 

Just for context, I put it in a cheap Line 6 Flextone cab that had a Hayden speaker installed, using the external speaker out from a Laney VC15 in stereo with my Bassbreaker head into closed back Mofo cab with a Celestion G12-35XC.

What did I learn?  Definitely improved bell like chimeyness and tighter bass over the Hayden speaker I had in there. Vastly different EQ settings on the amp as well. It's highlighted the shortcomings of the the cab though, which is a resonant bastard and contributes a woofy character. Gonna install a back on the fecker and see if that kills it, other than - well happy mush.

Sounds utterly massive in stereo, made the microwave vibrate. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    shady said:
    Well, slap my bald head and twist my nipples if it hasn't just arrived. That was bloody quick. There is a sticker on the magnet that says "This product is not for retail sale and is subject to the warranty provided by the enclosure manufacturer", which doesn't worry me but suggests it was destined for a cab. It also arrived in a Celestion Gold box, which raised an eyebrow in a good way

Anyway, it's clearly brand new but I'll let it warm up coz it's bloody freezing and the magnet is collecting condensation. The neighbours are out and Mrs Shady is at work...hmmm...
    Sounds to me more like someone bought a new cabinet and replaced the Eminence speaker with a Gold without even plugging it in...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have governors in both my 2x12s. One has two governors and the other is a governor scumback m75 mix. I went through just about every bloody Celestion there is before settling on them. They are really meaty and fat so perfect for smaller cabs imo (smaller = anything below 4x12). For my current project they just blew everything else out of the water. However I appreciate it's all about context and they could sound awful in another band or rig
    ICBM said

Sounds to me more like someone bought a new cabinet and replaced the Eminence speaker with a Gold without even plugging it in...
    Excess stock apparently bloke, he sells them them at a proper discount if you buy multiples. 
  • The Governor, was Eminences take on the Celestion G12-65.