Fender Player Precisions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    @Bowks she was made up mate, wasn't expecting it, so is chuffed to bits. I did well up a bit, no shame in that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @snap none at all!
  • BowksBowks Frets: 413
    Snap said:
    @Bowks she was made up mate, wasn't expecting it, so is chuffed to bits. I did well up a bit, no shame in that!
    That’s what it’s all about :-)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261

@Snap ;

Good job and she's got a winner there both the bass and the Dad!

I'm also looking at these. They're very attractively priced but wonder whether they really cut it playing feel and pipckup wise. Is'd appreciate any specific critique you may have.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    @rze99 ; I've not played it much really, but probably have enough to give a view.

note that my bass is a MM Stingray, so a big thick necked powerful beast. My other is an Ibanez SR370EE fretless, tiny neck.

the Player Precision:

First impressions - lightweight, lovely neck, great set up, good frets, feels good. 
    Neck plays very well, and sits nicely in the palm. Its a maple neck on this one. Not sticky, nicely finished. Good clear unplugged sound, plenty of definition and sustain.
    Plugged in - great tone, all the way from a dubby whump, to raspy attacking rock. Lots of power to it too.

Tbh, for £590 its great value. Very authentic, a good player and I love the tone. Looks good too in polar white, with an off white guard.

If you like precisions, I'd say it has to be tried really. Just a very nice instrument.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried one yesterday, it was a demo instrument in a guitar shop where I was trying out overdrive/preamp stuff.

Firstly, I play a 2007ish Mexican standard p-bass with rosewood board as my main bass, with upgraded pickups, bridge and electronics.

I spent about half hour playing a player p-bass, maple board, straight off the peg (still had plastic baggies over the tuning pegs).

It was dogshit.

The neck dimension felt totally wrong, it was really deep, not the wide but shallow neck I'd expect, and the maple neck felt cheap, with a glued-on maple board rather than a one-piece that I've had on all my Mex standard telecasters, and was totally unfinished; not even the satin coating from the mex standards (I actually prefer gloss myself, but satin is better than bare wood).

Setup was atrocious, and whilst I know that a shop should be looking into this before sale, the action was half a mile high and the pickup height adjustment was all over the place. The vol/tone knob grub screws weren't aligned either, which is a small detail but an irritating one. It just felt like no care had been taken in it's assembly or QC at all. 

I played through a GK 100W combo, and the bass just didn't seem to want to do that natural p-bass piano tone. I remember when I got my mex standard, I plugged it in and it just immediately sounded like a p-bass should do. This one didn't, it just sounded like a generic, uncharacterful bass sound. I appreciate that a proper setup might sort this out somewhat, but it certainly wasn't playable out the box; anyone buying online etc would likely be sorely disappointed and for a >500 quid bass, I'd have expected vastly better.

Buy a second hand old standard series instead, save some money and still get a better instrument.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Buy a second hand old standard series instead, save some money and still get a better instrument.

That’s probably why the prices of slightly older Fenders and Squire’s are so high.  Looking on ebay there isn’t loads about and even Chinese Classic Vibes go for quite a bit (supposedly better than their later Indonesian counterparts).

I'm keeping my eye out for older Squires and MIM Jaz basses , but getting a bit fed up, the Vintera 70's JB is looking good so may go back and try one of those.  Although twice the price of the G&L equivalent so would try them side by side.

I just bought a used Player Precision £350 so I'll report back about it being "dogshite" or "alright" when i've had a chance to get to know it at the weekend.

Reporting back. 2018 model. No issues at all. Well made, nice light/medium weight, excellently cut nut, frets are nice even.
    Balances well. 

Ideally I'd have slightly rolled fretboard edges - these are pretty squared off.  Satin back of neck is nice an smooth. The tone control isn't great as it doesn't really roll off fully (if you want that warm dull thump. I prefer my basses a little brighter.

Pickup is pretty good it sounds like Precision should. No need to replace this unless you're looking for something special.
    It's pretty nice and for the money it's great.

It's not Dogshite. Or at least mine isn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried out a US pro and a Mexican player yesterday and was quite surprised by how different they sounded. Was initially just having a go of the Pro (rosewood board) which was nice but not great then asked to have a look at the mexi(pau ferro) They were both very similar in weight and the neck on the mexi felt more comfortable than the pro. The pro had a lot more low end definition and clarity, the mexi sounded quite woolly on lower register notes in comparison. Not saying the mexi sounded bad though. How much of this is to do with different bridge, string through and pickups is anyone’s guess.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    I tried out a US pro and a Mexican player yesterday and was quite surprised by how different they sounded. Was initially just having a go of the Pro (rosewood board) which was nice but not great then asked to have a look at the mexi(pau ferro) They were both very similar in weight and the neck on the mexi felt more comfortable than the pro. The pro had a lot more low end definition and clarity, the mexi sounded quite woolly on lower register notes in comparison. Not saying the mexi sounded bad though. How much of this is to do with different bridge, string through and pickups is anyone’s guess.
    The strings can make a big difference when I've tried out basses. FWIW I don't rate the stock factory strings Fender put on them one bit. They just seem cheap.