Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Delay recommendations

What's Hot
thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
I know bugger all about pedals really but would like to hone in on a suitable delay pedal.  So I apologise for the mass of information.

I think I need a delay pedal but I don’t really use one.  I put this down to just not having the right one but maybe I just don’t need it?  I sort of imagine it will give something “extra” to solos, making them sound a bit more expansive.  Equally, we do a Cars song and I know he uses slap back on it.

I play in an unserious covers band playing standard rock n roll, bluesy stuff - Chuck Berry, Clapton, the Cars, Little Feat, Dire Straits, Bowie, Doobie Bros etc.  It’s pretty eclectic.  There may be room and motivation for original stuff sometime.  

So I think I need a range from decent slap back to a nice echo or longer delay but it doesn’t need to be too eleborate or spacey.  I currently have the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and find it too complicated to dial in different useable sounds although when you get one they sound good imo.

I generally tend towards analogue but maybe digital would be more suitable?

I’m pretty much exclusively Strat or Tele into a Tone King Imperial, which I’d call a bright amp, if that has a bearing on things?  Although I sometimes use a Tweed Deluxe.  I pretty much use just the Clean channel and drive from a Xotic BB preamp and occasional distortion from a Myomorpha (which sounds great for the price).  I have a Thorpy Veteran on its way which may change things.

Budgetwise, I’m flexible but would probably buy used.  I think a max would be about £150 but would prefer something in the £75-120 region (or less of course!)

Many thanks for any thoughts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    The Way Huge Echo Puss is an excellent 'set it and forget it' delay in your price range. The fact that you can turn the modulation off and it has a tone knob is fab. 

The big hitter in that arena you mentioned though is the Carbon Copy. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Boss Dd7 would be just the ticket!

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    Thanks @soma1975 @WiresDreamDisasters    

After a quick look, the Way Huge seems a bit too close to the MM for me (but made me think perhaps I'm being a bit lazy about how I use it).  The Carbon Coby does sound nice it has to be said.  The Boss makes things simple and seems very versatile.  I'll give it some thought.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    I'm not a MM fan really but loved the Echo Puss. Used to run it with the modulation off and it was wonderful. Sadly most demos these days whack that shit up. 

Also yeah, can't go wrong with a Boss Delay. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I may be up for flogging mine if you want a boss one. Not why I recommended it though, they are legit dead simple and sound great

Bye!

I may be up for flogging mine if you want a boss one. Not why I recommended it though, they are legit dead simple and sound great
    Thank you - I'll bear it in mind.
    Any views on a TC Electronic Flashback?
  • Mxr Carbon Copy would be my suggestion. Really simple to use. Can’t get a bad sound out of it. Very reasonably priced. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Basic, simple, great sounding analog delays: 
    • BOSS DM-2w
    • MXR Carbon Copy (*not* the Deluxe which is not as nice)

I had a Flashback X4 and it's got a great variety of great sounds - but if you want simple then you might find it has too much choice (I kind of did).
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    thebreeze said:
    Yes, they’re great and can be picked up pretty cheap on eBay.
  • Flashback have some lovely sounds in it. Their Space Echo is VERY nice.

Bye!

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    If you're set on analog, the Ibanez Mini one is really nice, and dead simple to use.  
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    If you're not bothered about modulation - Boss DM-2w.

If you want modulation - MXR Carbon Copy.

To me the Boss has slightly nicer sounding repeats than the CC, but the CC has modulation so that's where it would hinge for me.

I think because it doesn't need to be too elaborate or spacey - I'd edge towards the Boss.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    If you don't mind mini pedals the CC Mini has a bright switch which the normal sized one doesn't so it might help you find the time in your head ( some people find the CC too dark). Probably not many around used as yet. 
    I suspect the Boss DM2-W is the best no nonsense brick shithouse answer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Start with a Boss DD-7, it has most delay types available and they all sound very decent.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Boss DD8 - latest version and excellent
    Thank you to you all, very helpful.  Having gone from "i don't use delay" I think I'm going to try a Flashback AND a Carbon Copy and see if I need one or the other...or both :)  I quite like the idea of the CC mini with bright switch as I generally like a bright, trebley sound but not sure I can wait for them to appear s/h.  They're also a bit more expensive than the originals, interestingly.
  • OK in your budget the two I would recommend are boss dm2w and the dod rubberneeck £126 from thomann. The rubberneck has tone and gain knobs which are handy for tone shaping. 
  • Analogue before the amp - Boss DM2W or MXR CC
    Digital in the loop - Digitech DL8 or Boss DD-3 or 7 or 8 :)
  • thebreeze said:
    I had one and liked it. Only found myself using the ‘tape’ mode though, so bought a dedicated tape-modelling delay.